Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Configuration of TRUNK Ports (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754244-re-configuration-of-trunk-ports.html)

Doug McIntyre 09-19-2011 09:12 PM

"Elia S." <admin@NOSPAMspadhausen.com> writes:
>I am used to HP Procurve switches, where I have for example a port with
>multiple vlans on it:

>ex. Port 1 -

>VLAN 1 untagged
>VLAN2 tagged
>VLAN3 tagged.

>So I let pass via a port, one vlan untagged (vlan1) and two tagged vlans.

>How can I replicate the same configuration in a cisco switch?

Cisco's model is a bit different.

In small environment's the HP (and other low-end switch) model works
fine, but in larger environments with even dozens if not hundreds of
VLANs, the Cisco one works much better overall.

In Cisco, you can have exactly one untagged VLAN per trunk port.
Everything else is assumed to be tagged on a trunk port.

(ignoring the fact that vlan1 magicly gets untagged by default on many models)

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3
switchport trunk native vlan 1
switchport mode trunk

fote98cisco@googlemail.com 10-09-2011 04:21 PM

Re: Configuration of TRUNK Ports

Hi

> (ignoring the fact that vlan1 magicly gets untagged by default on many models)

The same on HP Procurve no matter whether you configure tagged or untagged.

Andre

Rob 10-09-2011 06:05 PM

fote98cisco@googlemail.com <fote98cisco@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

>> (ignoring the fact that vlan1 magicly gets untagged by default on many models)

> The same on HP Procurve no matter whether you configure tagged or untagged.

Ahhh... that explains a problem I had a while back.