Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 8 for tablet-addict mouth-breathers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754068-windows-8-for-tablet-addict-mouth-breathers.html)

RichA 09-15-2011 04:28 AM

Windows 8 for tablet-addict mouth-breathers

If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ws_8/index.htm

John A. 09-15-2011 01:09 PM

Re: Windows 8 for tablet-addict mouth-breathers

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127@gmail.com>
wrote:

>If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
>
>http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ws_8/index.htm

IIRC, it also has a "classic mode" for those that prefer a 7-style
interface. Judging by how Windows Phone has been doing so far, that
may be a very good thing.

I downloaded the developer preview and tried getting it running on a
virtual machine (VirtualBox), but got an error after the (very simple
in this build) splash screen. Seems you have to have a processor with
hardware virtualization, and I don't. (Single-core celeron. :P )
Others have had success. Guess I'll have to try and put it on a spare
machine instead, if I have one that's up to specs.

RichA 09-15-2011 03:28 PM

On Sep 15, 9:09*am, John A. <j...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.

> >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ild_windows_8/...

> IIRC, it also has a "classic mode" for those that prefer a 7-style
> interface. Judging by how Windows Phone has been doing so far, that
> may be a very good thing.

Only benefit to horrifically bad sales? Cheap Windows phones and very
cheap ($100?) HP tablets. Rumour on some user sites is that Windows
for phones is the best portable OS portable. But I've never seen it.

Robert Coe 09-15-2011 10:43 PM

Re: Windows 8 for tablet-addict mouth-breathers

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
: If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
:
: http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ws_8/index.htm

You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time Microsoft
releases a new operating system, their initial hype empahsizes how different
its look and feel will be. Then when the OS actually comes out, the
differences tend to be more minor than advertised - mostly new cosmetic
features that can be accepted or ignored by the user.

And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly innovative
changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm, but that notion
strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.

Bob

Robert Coe 09-15-2011 10:49 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:28:46 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
: On Sep 15, 9:09*am, John A. <j...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
: > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...@gmail.com>
: > wrote:
: >
: > >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
: >
: > >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ild_windows_8/...
: >
: > IIRC, it also has a "classic mode" for those that prefer a 7-style
: > interface. Judging by how Windows Phone has been doing so far, that
: > may be a very good thing.
:
: Only benefit to horrifically bad sales? Cheap Windows phones and very
: cheap ($100?) HP tablets. Rumour on some user sites is that Windows
: for phones is the best portable OS portable. But I've never seen it.

That may be true, but those portable OSes that are not portable have a much
better reputation.

Bob

Bruce 09-16-2011 11:14 AM

Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>: If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
>:
>: http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ws_8/index.htm
>
>You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time Microsoft
>releases a new operating system, their initial hype empahsizes how different
>its look and feel will be. Then when the OS actually comes out, the
>differences tend to be more minor than advertised - mostly new cosmetic
>features that can be accepted or ignored by the user.
>
>And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly innovative
>changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm, but that notion
>strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.

Surely Palm's decline has more to do with a small, highly innovative
company being taken over by a much larger company that perhaps didn't
understand exactly what it was buying? Corporate history is littered
with comparable examples.

PeterN 09-16-2011 11:45 AM

On 9/16/2011 12:16 AM, Rich wrote:
> Robert Coe<bob@1776.COM> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA<rander3127@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> : If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
>> :
>> : http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ld_windows_8/i
>> : ndex.htm
>>
>> You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time
>> Microsoft releases a new operating system, their initial hype
>> empahsizes how different its look and feel will be. Then when the OS
>> actually comes out, the differences tend to be more minor than
>> advertised - mostly new cosmetic features that can be accepted or
>> ignored by the user.
>>
>> And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly
>> innovative changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm,
>> but that notion strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I just mean they'll die much like Palm. They wouldn't be the first
> company to dominate then decline. Look at RIM.

In which of your fields of expertise are you relying upon for that
statement.

Marketing?

computer science?

Photography?

Mathematics?

Business analyst?

--
Peter

Ray Fischer 09-16-2011 12:49 PM

Re: Windows 8 for tablet-addict mouth-breathers

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
>
>http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ws_8/index.htm

Same UI and same programs that will run on a phone, an Xbox, and a PC?

Interesting idea. And we've seen how tablets are doing.

rfischer@sonic.net | The new GOP ideal

RichA 09-16-2011 03:20 PM

On Sep 16, 8:49*am, rfisc...@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> RichA *<rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.

> >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ild_windows_8/...

> Same UI and same programs that will run on a phone, an Xbox, and a PC?
>
> Interesting idea. *And we've seen how tablets are doing.

I still would like to know how people can replace computers/laptops
with these things? I can't believe they actually type any amount of
information on a touch-screen. It all must be basic browsing, simple
purchases, etc.

RichA 09-16-2011 03:21 PM

On Sep 16, 7:45*am, PeterN <peter....@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> On 9/16/2011 12:16 AM, Rich wrote:
>

> > Robert Coe<b...@1776.COM> *wrote in
> >news:ecv477pcrj48n13js5huc23lc1rr7jmoom@4ax.com :

> >> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA<rander3...@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> : If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
> >> :
> >> :http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ld_windows_8/i
> >> : ndex.htm

> >> You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time
> >> Microsoft releases a new operating system, their initial hype
> >> empahsizes how different its look and feel will be. Then when the OS
> >> actually comes out, the differences tend to be more minor than
> >> advertised - mostly new cosmetic features that can be accepted or
> >> ignored by the user.

> >> And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly
> >> innovative changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm,
> >> but that notion strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.

> >> Bob

> > I just mean they'll die much like Palm. *They wouldn't be the first
> > company to dominate then decline. *Look at RIM.

> In which of your fields of expertise are you relying upon for that
> statement.
>
> Marketing?
>
> computer science?
>
> Photography?
>
> Mathematics?
>
> Business analyst?
>
> --
> Peter

I've already answered that. Learn to read.