Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t754041-re-si-dusk-or-dawn-is-available-mid-day.html)

Pete A 09-14-2011 06:01 PM

Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!
 
On 2011-09-13 23:40:58 +0100, Bowser said:

> The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
> too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
> critique, if you dare.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn


Plenty of variety and enjoyable images in this SI.


Bowser
1. Nice shot. I would prefer it if the water wasn't quite so dark at
the bottom-centre.

2. Awesome colours, light and textures, and a most interesting picture.
On the full-sized image, I find the bokeh on the light twigs slightly
distracting.

3. I have a sense of unease looking at this one. The guy in the boat is
pointing to it: I think it needs to show either bit more on the left
or bit less.


Irwell
1. This one didn't work form me.
2. Very easy to look at and the light is great.
3. Un unusual and attention grabbing shot.
Can't think of any suggestions for improvements.


Eric S
Dawn: I like this very much. The two yellow hulls in the centre make
strong points of interest. Only suggestion is to reduce the black level
of the foreground foliage because it looks misty.

Dusk: Dramatic. Only suggestion is to increase the black level... Only
kidding :)

....Arctic Circle: Another interesting shot. The horizon looks as if
it's running down to the right much more than it actually is. This kind
of optical illusion frequently causes a problem in my shots. The only
way I've found to offset it is by rotating the image to compensate.


Pete A
I wasn't going to submit anything, but I had this idea for a theme -
hope it isn't too morbid.


Bob Coe
Sorry, Bob, it's nothing personal...
1. This one didn't work for me. I think it's mainly the angle and
secondarily the clutter in the background.

2. Nor this one. The flower is not sharply focused and the bright leaf
at the bottom is distracting.

3. Nor this one. The colours and contrast are too muddy for my liking.


Martha Coe
1. Plenty of interest and colour in this shot and a good balance of
different light sources. Perhaps there's just a little too much rail
track in the foreground.

2. Great use of angles and shapes. Choosing the correct exposure and
contrast for a shot like this is not easy, but you've nailed it. For
me, there is a little too much sky at the top.

3. I like the concept. Suggestions for improvement: redistribute the
levels because the shadow areas are a bit muddy and the mid-tones are a
tad dark. Reduce the amount of cyan in the roof glass because it draws
my eye away from the pink flowers.


Tim Conway
Very dramatic and a great composition. Only suggestion: remove the
halos around the dark objects.


Paul Furman
Superb. You didn't need the EXIF info - that lens stamps its hallmark
on its images. Crop suggestions: remove left edge to eliminate the
distracting bright line and similarly for the top (above the two people
mid-left). Remove the dark object to the right of bottom-centre.


Dan P
1. Refreshingly different.
2. Striking, especially with the soft red glow in the clouds towards
the top. I would remove the white dot bottom-right and probably the
light mark near bottom-centre.


Otter
Eye In Sky: One of my favourites. Minor point: I find the sky chroma
blobs a little distracting. They can be very difficult to reduce/smooth
in shots like this.


Savageduck
1. Another favourite. Suggestion: slightly darken the bright trees and
gravel near bottom-left.
2. Great shot and gives a sense of being there.
3. Another great image. Can't think of any suggestions for 2 & 3.


Alan B
1. A realistic portrayal of the light and subdued colours at dusk. Very nice.
2. Fantastic light and colour.
I can't think of any suggestions.


Peter Chant
1. This one doesn't work for me.
2. This one does! I particularly like your choices of colour balance
and exposure.


Peter N
Lighthouse: Good shot with pleasing light and colours. Nitpick: lens
flare and ghosting.

Sausage and Peppers: Great fun.

Sunset Lovers: I like it. Suggestion: the foreground rock(?) to the
right of the bench has a distractingly sharp outline against the water,
perhaps a bit of softening would help.


DanP 09-14-2011 08:23 PM

Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!
 
On Wednesday, 14 September 2011 19:01:56 UTC+1, Pete A wrote:

> Dan P
> 1. Refreshingly different.
> 2. Striking, especially with the soft red glow in the clouds towards
> the top. I would remove the white dot bottom-right and probably the
> light mark near bottom-centre.


I limit my editing to cropping, straightening, curves and levels and gradients.
I know those lights look distracting and is so easy to take them out but I'd rather not.

Fair comment.


DanP

Robert Coe 09-14-2011 11:11 PM

Re: [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!
 
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:39:49 -0400, Bowser <yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
:
: Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And
: the bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I
: liked the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
: Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.

Can a dog eat a white amanita and live to bark about it? IIRC, a human's
tolerance for same is usually less than one bite.

Bob

otter 09-15-2011 03:29 AM

Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!
 
On Sep 14, 4:39*pm, Bowser <yeeec...@bleah.ugh> wrote:
> On 9/14/2011 2:01 PM, Pete A wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 2011-09-13 23:40:58 +0100, Bowser said:

>
> >> The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
> >> too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
> >> critique, if you dare.

>
> >>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

>
> > Plenty of variety and enjoyable images in this SI.

>
> > Bowser
> > 1. Nice shot. I would prefer it if the water wasn't quite so dark at the
> > bottom-centre.

>
> > 2. Awesome colours, light and textures, and a most interesting picture.
> > On the full-sized image, I find the bokeh on the light twigs slightly
> > distracting.

>
> > 3. I have a sense of unease looking at this one. The guy in the boat is
> > pointing to it: I think it needs to show either bit more on the left or
> > bit less.

>
> Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And the
> bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I liked
> the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
> Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.


I liked the Bridge shot, but just not one of my favorites of this
collection. I liked the colors, but it was a little busy.

otter 09-15-2011 01:18 PM

Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!
 
On Sep 14, 1:01*pm, Pete A <pete3.attk...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Otter
> Eye In Sky: One of my favourites. Minor point: I find the sky chroma
> blobs a little distracting. They can be very difficult to reduce/smooth
> in shots like this.


I see what you mean. The final compression and sharpening when
generating the JPEG did me in. It looks smooth on the TIFF out of
photoshop. The JPEG is also missing some detail that is clearer in
the TIFF. I'll need to work on that.

otter 09-16-2011 05:25 AM

Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!
 
On Sep 15, 2:04*pm, Elliott Roper <nos...@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> In article
> <960126f1-1d4a-43ac-8b63-1829ec8e6...@t3g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
>
>
>
> otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 14, 4:39 pm, Bowser <yeeec...@bleah.ugh> wrote:
> > > On 9/14/2011 2:01 PM, Pete A wrote:

> <snip>
> > > Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And the
> > > bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I liked
> > > the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
> > > Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.

>
> > I liked the Bridge shot, but just not one of my favorites of this
> > collection. *I liked the colors, but it was a little busy.

>
> The bridge shot was my favourite! So French Impressionist!
> Savageduck's "San Simeon State Beach at dusk/Sunset, through the marine
> layer fog" had the same lovely mood.
>
> What is it with water and sunset/rise? No-fail subject or what?
>
> Which brings me to your "SI_dusk_Otter_eye_in_sky.jpg". I loved the way
> the boat's bow wave connected the flat distant stuff with the warm
> light coming from the houses on the bottom right. The illusion of depth
> in that area was so different from the rest of the picture that it kept
> drawing my eyes back for another peep. I didn't like the purple sky
> much, it turned it into a theatre set backdrop. I tried brushing a heap
> of desaturation into the sky area. It certainly hurt less, but the
> picture looked a lot less magical.
> Mine was going to be this old one:-
> <http://gallery.me.com/elliott_roper#100080/_MG_8298_2&bgcolor=black>
> but when I went to Google to remind myself how to spell "Merzouga"
> there were about 1000 almost identical pictures and I chickened out of
> offering the SI the ultimate tourist camel clich .


Nonsense. That's a great picture. I liked a lot of the other
pictures on that site, too. Must have been a great trip!

PeterN 09-16-2011 10:57 AM

Re: Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!
 
On 9/15/2011 3:04 PM, Elliott Roper wrote:
<snip>>
> What is it with water and sunset/rise? No-fail subject or what?
>
> Which brings me to your "SI_dusk_Otter_eye_in_sky.jpg". I loved the way
> the boat's bow wave connected the flat distant stuff with the warm
> light coming from the houses on the bottom right. The illusion of depth
> in that area was so different from the rest of the picture that it kept
> drawing my eyes back for another peep. I didn't like the purple sky
> much, it turned it into a theatre set backdrop. I tried brushing a heap
> of desaturation into the sky area. It certainly hurt less, but the
> picture looked a lot less magical.
> Mine was going to be this old one:-
> <http://gallery.me.com/elliott_roper#100080/_MG_8298_2&bgcolor=black>
> but when I went to Google to remind myself how to spell "Merzouga"
> there were about 1000 almost identical pictures and I chickened out of
> offering the SI the ultimate tourist camel cliché.
>


Gotta yell at you for that. It is a nice image. Who cares if it was done
thousands of times before, it's the first time you tried it. If it is a
cliche, build on the beginning and take it to the next level.

--
Peter


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.