Velocity Reviews

-   -   MS Excel (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t753884-ms-excel.html)

Gib Bogle 09-11-2011 07:35 AM

MS Excel

When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
below and to the right of the starting cell.

Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
that I'm missing.

Thanks!

Stephen Worthington 09-11-2011 09:09 AM

Re: MS Excel

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:35:00 +1200, Gib Bogle <g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

>When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
>also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
>I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
>Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
>E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
>an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
>have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
>expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
>the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
>or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
>arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
>below and to the right of the starting cell.
>
>Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
>would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
>Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
>that I'm missing.
>
>Thanks!

In LibreOffice 3.4.1, all of those work except End + Down arrow (which
just does Down arrow).

Gib Bogle 09-11-2011 09:18 AM

Re: MS Excel

On 11/09/2011 9:09 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

> In LibreOffice 3.4.1, all of those work except End + Down arrow (which
> just does Down arrow).

Is that a version of MS Office? If not, why are you telling me?

Stephen Worthington 09-11-2011 09:33 AM

Re: MS Excel

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:18:09 +1200, Gib Bogle <g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

>On 11/09/2011 9:09 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> In LibreOffice 3.4.1, all of those work except End + Down arrow (which
>> just does Down arrow).

>Is that a version of MS Office? If not, why are you telling me?

No, it is not MS Office. But LibreOffice does produce MS Office
compatible files if required, and it does do some of what you want.
And it is free, so you can try it and see if it works better for you
than your current MS Office version.

Murray Symon 09-11-2011 09:39 AM

Re: MS Excel

Gib Bogle wrote:

> When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
> also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
> I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
> Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
> E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
> an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
> have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
> expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
> the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
> or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
> arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
> below and to the right of the starting cell.
>
> Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
> would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
> Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
> that I'm missing.
>
> Thanks!

In much older versions of Excel (or similar spreadsheets) this
behaviour was configurable by an option setting. I can remember
having to make the change to the setting. Maybe they have changed
the default behaviour, but check if there is a setting to change.

Gib Bogle 09-11-2011 10:28 AM

Re: MS Excel

On 11/09/2011 9:39 p.m., Murray Symon wrote:
> Gib Bogle wrote:

> In much older versions of Excel (or similar spreadsheets) this
> behaviour was configurable by an option setting. I can remember
> having to make the change to the setting. Maybe they have changed
> the default behaviour, but check if there is a setting to change.

Thanks. As usual with this sort of thing, the hard part is knowing what
question to ask the help system.

Me 09-11-2011 10:58 AM

Re: MS Excel

On 11/09/2011 7:35 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
> also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
> I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
> Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying. E.g.
> I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit an
> arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I have to
> either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I expect to be
> able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in the top cell
> then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow or End + Down
> arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down arrow alone does
> nothing, while End selects everything on the screen below and to the
> right of the starting cell.
>
> Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
> would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
> Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
> that I'm missing.
>
> Thanks!

Toggle this on and of with the "end" key.

Gib Bogle 09-11-2011 11:25 AM

Re: MS Excel

On 11/09/2011 10:58 p.m., Me wrote:
> On 11/09/2011 7:35 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>> When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
>> also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
>> I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
>> Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying. E.g.
>> I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit an
>> arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I have to
>> either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I expect to be
>> able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in the top cell
>> then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow or End + Down
>> arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down arrow alone does
>> nothing, while End selects everything on the screen below and to the
>> right of the starting cell.
>>
>> Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
>> would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
>> Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
>> that I'm missing.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Toggle this on and of with the "end" key.

Thanks Me! I wonder where (if) that's documented.

Your Name 09-11-2011 09:20 PM

Re: MS Excel

In article <j4hoc0$7nn$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Gib Bogle
<g.bogle@auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
> also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
> I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
> Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
> E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
> an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
> have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
> expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
> the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
> or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
> arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
> below and to the right of the starting cell.
>
> Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
> would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
> Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
> that I'm missing.
>
> Thanks!

Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
they're never going to listen to anyone else).

None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
of just one click in older versions. :-(

Gib Bogle 09-11-2011 09:45 PM

Re: MS Excel

On 12/09/2011 9:20 a.m., Your Name wrote:

> Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
> applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
> complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
> they're never going to listen to anyone else).
>
> None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
> thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
> and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
> ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
> simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
> of just one click in older versions. :-(

This is exactly my impression! It is infuriating. Apart from being
incredibly annoying, it also presents an interesting question from an
academic point of view: what is it that has happened at MS to create
this kind of devolution? The simplest explanation is that the need to
sell new versions of the software forces them to make changes, and after
the application has reached the stage of being very functional further
changes are likely to move it away from the optimum. Another
hypothesis: they have a good business going in teaching people how to
use this stuff.

I'm starting to be tempted to follow Stephen's suggestion and try
LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Any opinions as to which is the better choice?