Velocity Reviews

-   -   which JDK to use? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t753605-which-jdk-to-use.html)

steveh44 09-04-2011 02:17 PM

which JDK to use?

I'd like to learn Java. Should I be using the openJDK or the JDK from
oracle? not sure what is the difference. Which is the real Java?

thank you
/steve

Arne Vajhøj 09-04-2011 03:00 PM

Re: which JDK to use?

On 9/4/2011 10:17 AM, steveh44 wrote:
> I'd like to learn Java. Should I be using the openJDK or the JDK from
> oracle? not sure what is the difference. Which is the real Java?

Java is really a specification with multiple implementations.

You pick the implementation you prefer.

If you are using Windows, then I would go for the Oracle
one - it is still the most common to use (remember to
check the license text).

If you are using Linux then go for what is in your
repository (which will most likely my OpenJDK based).

Arne

Lew 09-04-2011 07:10 PM

Re: which JDK to use?

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> steveh44 wrote:
>> I'd like to learn Java. Should I be using the openJDK [sic] or the JDK from
>> oracle [sic]? not sure what is the difference. Which is the real Java?

Both.

Also, Oracle is a contributor, perhaps the single largest contributor to the OpenJDK code.

I'm pretty sure, without checking just this moment to be really sure, that there's a fair amount OpenJDK code in the Oracle release.

> Java is really a specification with multiple implementations.
>
> You pick the implementation you prefer.
>
> If you are using Windows, then I would go for the Oracle
> one - it is still the most common to use (remember to
> check the license text).
>
> If you are using Linux then go for what is in your
> repository (which will most likely my OpenJDK based).

Any Java implementation that passes the compatibility suite is the real deal.

--
Lew

Roedy Green 09-05-2011 06:13 PM

Re: which JDK to use?

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 07:17:32 -0700 (PDT), steveh44
<steve_h44@yahoo.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>I'd like to learn Java. Should I be using the openJDK or the JDK from
>oracle? not sure what is the difference. Which is the real Java?

Nearly everyone uses Oracle. That is the one newbies should use.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lew 09-05-2011 08:16 PM

Re: which JDK to use?

Roedy Green wrote:
> steveh44 wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> I'd like to learn Java. Should I be using the openJDK or the JDK from
>> oracle? not sure what is the difference. Which is the real Java?

> Nearly everyone uses Oracle. That is the one newbies should use.

As Qu0ll and I pointed out, this is pretty much equivalent to using OpenJDK.. Most Linuces use OpenJDK, as Arne pointed out. There's really no difference. I've also used IBM's JDK 6 without any pain.

To Qu0ll's point that Oracle's JDK 7 is OpenJDK, that's 99% true. There are pieces you can purchase that supplement the open-source part, such as thesoft real-time version, that are not in OpenJDK. I was unable to confirm that the current Oracle release is precisely the same as OpenJDK, but it's clear that the differences, if any, are in the corners.

Anyway, for the OP's purpose just use either one.

--
Lew

Arne Vajhøj 09-05-2011 08:35 PM

Re: which JDK to use?

On 9/4/2011 3:10 PM, Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> steveh44 wrote:
>>> I'd like to learn Java. Should I be using the openJDK [sic] or the JDK from
>>> oracle [sic]? not sure what is the difference. Which is the real Java?

> Both.
>
> Also, Oracle is a contributor, perhaps the single largest contributor to the OpenJDK code.

It is probably >95% of th total code that is from SUN/Oracle.

> I'm pretty sure, without checking just this moment to be really sure, that there's a fair amount OpenJDK code in the Oracle release.

SUN Java and OpnJDK has always shared almost all cod. And Oracle has
announced that they want to make OpenJDK the RI. So it seems fair to
assume that for 7 the code is flowing OpenJDK->Oracle Java.

>> Java is really a specification with multiple implementations.
>>
>> You pick the implementation you prefer.
>>
>> If you are using Windows, then I would go for the Oracle
>> one - it is still the most common to use (remember to
>> check the license text).
>>
>> If you are using Linux then go for what is in your
>> repository (which will most likely my OpenJDK based).

> Any Java implementation that passes the compatibility suite is the real deal.

Passing the Java TCK is sufficient to make it true Java.

But some Java's may still be better than others. More users =>
easier to get help with installation, better performance, faster
bug fixing etc..

Arne

Roedy Green 09-05-2011 10:56 PM

Re: which JDK to use?

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:16:16 -0700 (PDT), Lew <lewbloch@gmail.com>

>Anyway, for the OP's purpose just use either one.

many problems have to do with installations, set parms etc. A newbie
will sidestep many complications if he sticks to Oracle to start.

You are giving advice that would be suitable for someone like
yourself, not a newbie.

Jeff Higgins 09-06-2011 12:15 AM

Re: which JDK to use?

On 09/05/2011 06:56 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:16:16 -0700 (PDT), Lew<lewbloch@gmail.com>
>

>> Anyway, for the OP's purpose just use either one.

> many problems have to do with installations, set parms etc. A newbie
> will sidestep many complications if he sticks to Oracle to start.
>
> You are giving advice that would be suitable for someone like
> yourself, not a newbie.

On this Debian distro installing the Debian packaged JDK is less
complicated than installing the Oracle packaged JDK.

Lew 09-06-2011 12:39 AM

Re: which JDK to use?

On Monday, September 5, 2011 5:15:18 PM UTC-7, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 09/05/2011 06:56 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:16:16 -0700 (PDT), Lew<lewb...@gmail.com>
> > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
> >

> >> Anyway, for the OP's purpose just use either one.

> > many problems have to do with installations, set parms etc. A newbie
> > will sidestep many complications if he sticks to Oracle to start.
> >
> > You are giving advice that would be suitable for someone like
> > yourself, not a newbie.

On the contrary, I'm giving advice that is better for the newbie than yours..

If the newbie is using Linux, on which OpenJDK will have already been installed. Isn't zero installation effort better than little installation effort?

And on Linux distros, installing OpenJDK is actually easier than installingOracle's. Oracle's requires unpacking and moving a directory, then manually moving around symbolic links and the JAVA_HOME environment variable. Yum and apt installations of OpenJDK do all that for you. Your advice is better for someone like you than for a newbie. In fact, your advice is simplyterrible for a newbie.

Check your facts.

> On this Debian distro installing the Debian packaged JDK is less
> complicated than installing the Oracle packaged JDK.

By many meters.

--
Lew

Nasser M. Abbasi 09-06-2011 07:59 AM

Re: which JDK to use?

On 9/5/2011 1:16 PM, Lew wrote:

> To Qu0ll's point that Oracle's JDK 7 is OpenJDK, that's 99% true.
> There are pieces you can purchase that supplement the open-source part,
> such as the soft real-time version, that are not in OpenJDK. I was unable to
> confirm that the current Oracle release is precisely the same as OpenJDK,
> but it's clear that the differences, if any, are in the corners.

on related point:

http://lxnews.org/2011/09/05/oracle-...shipping-java/

"September 5, 2011"
"Oracle has decided to stop shipping its proprietary Java packages
for Linux, telling everyone to move to OpenJDK instead."

" Oracle has retired the “Operating System Distributor License for Java” (DLJ)
that was created by Sun in 2006"

"the need for Oracle’s Java implementation has steadily decreased since
the release of the OpenJDK 6, adding that the OpenJDK is proven and mature
and is the chosen package of most Linux distributors."

--Nasser