Velocity Reviews

-   -   Russians claim elimination of CA with normal glass (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t753392-russians-claim-elimination-of-ca-with-normal-glass.html)

RichA 08-30-2011 04:45 AM

Russians claim elimination of CA with normal glass

Don't know how this will translate to camera optics, if it's used.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1

RichA 08-30-2011 03:01 PM

Re: Russians claim elimination of CA with normal glass

On Aug 30, 6:30*am, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...@sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:45:11 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Don't know how this will translate to camera optics, if it's used.

> >http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../0/Number/4776...

> It should work in principal, that is if any one can actually make it.
>
> But then it will have other problems.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

I found some references to a similar use in microscope lenses. But I
think you are right, I don't think they can rule lines small enough so
they have no other effects on visible light images, save the effect
they want. However, these people have turned out some of the best
optics on the planet (I've seen them) so maybe they can make it work.
If they do, it could save some money not having to use ED glass.
Which I'm sure will be passed onto consumers. :)

Bruce 08-30-2011 08:32 PM

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>Don't know how this will translate to camera optics, if it's used.
>http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1

Isn't this the basis of the optical design of Canon's DO lenses?
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/s...vantage_Perf#f

Bruce 08-31-2011 02:02 PM

Rich <none@nowhere.com> wrote:
>Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote in
>news:c2iq57pedho8u5hd4v41vvvlgqqhs80kmm@4ax.com :
>> http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/s...vantage_Perf#f

>That's possible, but Canon is still using ED and fluorite so I'm not sure
>exactly under what circumstances this technology would be used.

It is used in the 70-300mm DO and 400mm f/4 DO lenses. I have used
the 400mm f/4.

>It looks
>like the Canon application is a "replica" grating coating whereas the
>Russian one is actually ruled on a lens surface. Probably because using an
>optic at 300-400x magnification is more demanding than prime focus at the
>lens's native focal length.

My point was that the principle is not new.

RichA 08-31-2011 10:03 PM

On Aug 31, 10:02*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rich <n...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote in
> >news:c2iq57pedho8u5hd4v41vvvlgqqhs80kmm@4ax.com :
> >>http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/s...s_Advantage_Pe....

> >That's possible, but Canon is still using ED and fluorite so I'm not sure
> >exactly under what circumstances this technology would be used.

> It is used in the 70-300mm DO and 400mm f/4 DO lenses. *I have used
> the 400mm f/4.
>
> >It looks
> >like the Canon application is a "replica" grating coating whereas the
> >Russian one is actually ruled on a lens surface. *Probably because using an
> >optic at 300-400x magnification is more demanding than prime focus at the
> >lens's native focal length.

> My point was that the principle is not new.

That I got, but this particular implementation is new.