Velocity Reviews

-   -   NEX-7 specs. Holy s---! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t753178-nex-7-specs-holy-s.html)

RichA 08-24-2011 12:14 PM

NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

dpreview:

http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp

Sony NEX-7 specification highlights

All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
ISO 100-16000
Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
20ms)
'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
stereo mic
Tilting rear screen
Three-dial user interface
Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
Infra-red remote control receiver

Bruce 08-24-2011 01:14 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>RichA wrote:
>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!
>>
>> dpreview:

>I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

By whom? It also depends what you mean by "completely discredited".

Sure, DPReview has its limitations, but it is not remotely as bad as
PopPhoto.

DanP 08-24-2011 02:35 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.

DanP

David J Taylor 08-24-2011 02:37 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

"DanP" <dan.petre@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.
>
> DanP

By the time you have bought and fitted that, you might was well have got a
DSLR in the first place, with a responsive optical viewfinder.

David

David Dyer-Bennet 08-24-2011 02:57 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

On Aug 24, 7:14*am, RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
this is going to hurt them.

> dpreview:
>
> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp
>
> Sony NEX-7 specification highlights
>
> * * All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
> * * ISO 100-16000
> * * Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
> * * Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
> 20ms)
> * * 'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
> stereo mic
> * * Tilting rear screen
> * * Three-dial user interface
> * * Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
> * * Infra-red remote control receiver

If they cut the resolution in half and provided better-
quality pixels (less noisy) this might be very
useful for some kinds of work. The key spec would
be auto-focus speed and accuracy, though,
which you say nothing about.

RichA 08-24-2011 05:12 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

On Aug 24, 10:50*am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> *wrote:

> >> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

> > By whom?

> RichA ;-) He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
> of uselessness.
>
> * BugBear

It's a reprint of Sony's press release, not a review.

RichA 08-24-2011 05:14 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

On Aug 24, 10:57*am, David Dyer-Bennet <illegaln...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 7:14*am, RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
> > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

> It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
> are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
> this is going to hurt them.

With all the problems with phase focusing, lubricants showing up on
mirrors and lenses, mirror mechnisms failing, size, weight, cost,
etc., it won't be long before "premiere" is no longer applicable.

RichA 08-24-2011 05:59 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

On Aug 24, 1:44*pm, Bowser <yeeec...@bleah.ugh> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 8:14 AM, RichA wrote:
>

> > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
> > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

> > dpreview:

> >http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp

> > Sony NEX-7 specification highlights

> > * * *All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
> > * * *ISO 100-16000
> > * * *Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
> > * * *Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
> > 20ms)
> > * * *'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
> > stereo mic
> > * * *Tilting rear screen
> > * * *Three-dial user interface
> > * * *Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
> > * * *Infra-red remote control receiver

> SLTA7? A657? * :-)
>
> What I'm curious to see is if this has better IQ than the A77, since the
> SLR will lose some light due to the pellicle mirror. The NEX 7 might be
> a half-stop better in ISO performance. And I wonder if there's any
> optical degradation due to the mirror?
>
> Too bad the Zeiss lens is to expensive, though. And where are the third
> party lenses? Didn't Sony open the mount to third party makers?

Also notice they put the 24 megapixel sensor in an entry level DSLR?!!
http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...a65preview.asp

How WILL Nikon keep the con-game going when it comes to the pricing
hierarchy they maintain?

PeterN 08-24-2011 06:43 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

On 8/24/2011 10:50 AM, bugbear wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>>> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

>> By whom?

> RichA ;-) He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
> of uselessness.
>
> BugBear

But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel

--
Peter

RichA 08-24-2011 08:01 PM

Re: NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

On Aug 24, 2:43*pm, PeterN <peter....@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 10:50 AM, bugbear wrote:
>

> > Bruce wrote:

> >> By whom?

> > RichA ;-) He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
> > of uselessness.

> > BugBear

> But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel
>
> --
> Peter

It was Sony's and even if it came from Dpreview, all it is are
specifications, it's not a review.