Velocity Reviews

-   -   CHKDSK Silliness (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t752774-chkdsk-silliness.html)

Jeff Strickland 08-12-2011 07:14 PM

CHKDSK Silliness

My machine suffered some kind of power loss that resulted in it running
CHKDSK, which is itself isn't a problem.

But when CHKDSK completes, I would suggest that it ought to PAUSE so that I
can review the report. It ran a list of errors, most of them I assume
resulted from shutting down while I was actively doing something, but after
the last item in the list flew by, CHKDSK was done running, and the screen
cleared before I could see if there were bad clusters that I should know
about.

Rant over.

VanguardLH 08-12-2011 08:39 PM

Re: CHKDSK Silliness

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> My machine suffered some kind of power loss that resulted in it running
> CHKDSK, which is itself isn't a problem.
>
> But when CHKDSK completes, I would suggest that it ought to PAUSE so that I
> can review the report. It ran a list of errors, most of them I assume
> resulted from shutting down while I was actively doing something, but after
> the last item in the list flew by, CHKDSK was done running, and the screen
> cleared before I could see if there were bad clusters that I should know
> about.
>
> Rant over.

You thought the peer community here had some sort of "in" to modify
Microsoft's code in their operating systems? You obviously weren't here
to ask for help so I won't bother suggesting how to see the results.
Come on back to start a NEW thread when you actually have a question.
Ta ta for now.

<IGNOREthread:ON>

me again 08-12-2011 08:46 PM

Re: CHKDSK Silliness

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> My machine suffered some kind of power loss that resulted in it running
> CHKDSK, which is itself isn't a problem.
>
> But when CHKDSK completes, I would suggest that it ought to PAUSE so that I
> can review the report. It ran a list of errors, most of them I assume
> resulted from shutting down while I was actively doing something, but after
> the last item in the list flew by, CHKDSK was done running, and the screen
> cleared before I could see if there were bad clusters that I should know
> about.

The report may still be around or in a LOG file. Try search by time of creation.

Jeff Strickland 08-12-2011 09:07 PM

Re: CHKDSK Silliness

"me again" <rick0.merrill@gmail.spamless> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> My machine suffered some kind of power loss that resulted in it running
>> CHKDSK, which is itself isn't a problem.
>>
>> But when CHKDSK completes, I would suggest that it ought to PAUSE so that
>> can review the report. It ran a list of errors, most of them I assume
>> resulted from shutting down while I was actively doing something, but
>> after
>> the last item in the list flew by, CHKDSK was done running, and the
>> screen
>> cleared before I could see if there were bad clusters that I should know
>> about.

> The report may still be around or in a LOG file. Try search by time of
> creation.

Of course it can, but why not have the OS simply pause while it is displayed
already?

housetrained 08-12-2011 09:23 PM

Re: CHKDSK Silliness

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message news:j244ls$3sn$1@dont-email.me...

"me again" <rick0.merrill@gmail.spamless> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> My machine suffered some kind of power loss that resulted in it running
>> CHKDSK, which is itself isn't a problem.
>>
>> But when CHKDSK completes, I would suggest that it ought to PAUSE so that
>> can review the report. It ran a list of errors, most of them I assume
>> resulted from shutting down while I was actively doing something, but
>> after
>> the last item in the list flew by, CHKDSK was done running, and the
>> screen
>> cleared before I could see if there were bad clusters that I should know
>> about.

> The report may still be around or in a LOG file. Try search by time of
> creation.

Of course it can, but why not have the OS simply pause while it is displayed
already?

But that's why you have a 'Pause' button on your keyboard - usually just
above 'page up'

-- "Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
people." - W.C. Fields

me again 08-13-2011 10:55 AM

Re: CHKDSK Silliness

housetrained wrote:
> "Jeff Strickland" wrote in message news:j244ls$3sn$1@dont-email.me...
>

> "me again" <rick0.merrill@gmail.spamless> wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> My machine suffered some kind of power loss that resulted in it running
>>> CHKDSK, which is itself isn't a problem.
>>>
>>> But when CHKDSK completes, I would suggest that it ought to PAUSE so that I
>>> can review the report. It ran a list of errors, most of them I assume
>>> resulted from shutting down while I was actively doing something, but after
>>> the last item in the list flew by, CHKDSK was done running, and the screen
>>> cleared before I could see if there were bad clusters that I should know
>>> about.

>> The report may still be around or in a LOG file. Try search by time of creation.
>>

> Of course it can, but why not have the OS simply pause while it is displayed
> already?
>

> But that's why you have a 'Pause' button on your keyboard - usually just above 'page up'
>
> -- "Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." -
> W.C. Fields

The lack of a pause may be because the same software is used in automated runs, such
as upon startup, when a pause would look like a hang.