Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t752620-how-do-you-get-gnu-gcc-to-build-a-64-bit-binary-compiler.html)

Joe Young 08-09-2011 02:08 PM

How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?

Problems building 64 bit gnu gcc
x86 Solaris 10
source gcc-3.4.6

How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?

I've got two gcc-3.4.6 source directories. And am compiling the first
with
../configure -with-arch-64=cpu --with-tune-64=cpu --with-cpu-64=cpu
in order to make a 64 bit capable gcc compiler ready and able to
compile
the second source directory with the same configure line (albeit with
different destination and install directory) in order to end up with a
64 bit
gcc compiler.

The problem is that both compilations produce the same result, a 32
bit gcc
/usr/local/bin/gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1 [FPU],
dynamically linked, not stripped

Below is a list of compile options for gnu gcc
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

Ben Bacarisse 08-09-2011 04:16 PM

Re: How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?

Joe Young <j.joeyoung@gmail.com> writes:

> Problems building 64 bit gnu gcc
> x86 Solaris 10
> source gcc-3.4.6

I suggest you try a group about gcc -- that's where the gcc experts will
be.

> How do you get gnu gcc to build a 64 bit binary compiler?
>
> I've got two gcc-3.4.6 source directories. And am compiling the first
> with
> ./configure -with-arch-64=cpu --with-tune-64=cpu --with-cpu-64=cpu

Literally that line? The documentation suggests you should say

./configure -with-arch-64=i386 --with-tune-64=i386 --with-cpu-64=i386

> in order to make a 64 bit capable gcc compiler ready and able to
> compile
> the second source directory with the same configure line (albeit with
> different destination and install directory) in order to end up with a
> 64 bit
> gcc compiler.

<snip>
--
Ben.

Keith Thompson 08-09-2011 06:37 PM

Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> writes:
> Joe Young <j.joeyoung@gmail.com> writes:
>> Problems building 64 bit gnu gcc
>> x86 Solaris 10
>> source gcc-3.4.6

> I suggest you try a group about gcc -- that's where the gcc experts will
> be.

Like gnu.gcc.help.

[snip]

Nokia