Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t752455-re-si-mandate-date-change-now-due-sept-12-2011-a.html)

tony cooper 08-05-2011 02:18 AM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser <yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:

>Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
>date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
>The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
>
>The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
>participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
>Give it a shot!
>
>For more info:
>
>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage


If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
afternoon.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe 08-05-2011 01:50 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:42:08 -0400, Bowser <yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
: On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
: > On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
: >
: >> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
: >> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
: >> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
: >>
: >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
: >>
: >> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
: >> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
: >> Give it a shot!
: >>
: >> For more info:
: >>
: >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
: >
: > If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
: > taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
: > early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
: > afternoon.
: >
:
: If you can work in some dawn or dusk shots during those hours, be my
: guest. I guess you live way up north or way down south.

That would have to be "way down south". This time of year, those way up north
will have a bigger problem than Tony has. Surely you've heard of the "Land of
the Midnight Sun". ;^)

Bob

PeterN 08-05-2011 02:36 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
>
>> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
>> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
>> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
>>
>> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
>> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
>> Give it a shot!
>>
>> For more info:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

>
> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
> early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
> afternoon.
>
>



A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.

--
Peter

tony cooper 08-05-2011 03:10 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:36:39 -0400, PeterN
<peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
>>
>>> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
>>> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
>>> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
>>>
>>> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
>>> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
>>> Give it a shot!
>>>
>>> For more info:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

>>
>> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
>> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
>> early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
>> afternoon.

>
>A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.


It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back
of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

If my wife is bitten, she gets a red spot that goes away in a day or
two.

Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN 08-05-2011 03:35 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
On 8/5/2011 11:10 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:36:39 -0400, PeterN
> <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
>>>> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
>>>> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
>>>>
>>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
>>>>
>>>> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
>>>> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
>>>> Give it a shot!
>>>>
>>>> For more info:
>>>>
>>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
>>>
>>> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
>>> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
>>> early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
>>> afternoon.

>>
>> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.

>
> It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
> mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
> marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back
> of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.


That's a real problem where you live.

>
> If my wife is bitten, she gets a red spot that goes away in a day or
> two.


My wife is very sensitive to bites. With her it's not "if," it's "when."

>
> Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.
>
>

A Bounce dryer sheet is one of those things that may be like chicken
soup. Not sure it always works, but it can't hurt.

--
Peter

tony cooper 08-05-2011 07:36 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:04:13 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2011-08-05 08:10:26 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> said:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:36:39 -0400, PeterN
>> <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>>>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser<yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
>>>>> date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
>>>>> The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
>>>>>
>>>>> The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
>>>>> participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
>>>>> Give it a shot!
>>>>>
>>>>> For more info:
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
>>>>
>>>> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
>>>> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
>>>> early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
>>>> afternoon.
>>>
>>> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.

>>
>> It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
>> mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
>> marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back
>> of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

>
>Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
>also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
>It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
>such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
>shot, or tablets.
>


I can only tell you what works by experience...long experience in this
case. Benadryl Gel (a topical) eases the discomfort if applied
hourly. When the bite is in an area where there is little soft
tissue, it doesn't seem to help as much as when the bite is in an area
of soft tissue.

A bite on the front lower leg is not as painful and doesn't swell as
much. Benadryl Gel doesn't help that much. A bite on the back of the
lower leg swells, but Benadryl Gel helps. The little bastards always
get me in the soft tissue areas, though.

Worst place is bites on the hand or fingers. Just enough soft tissue
to cause swelling, and - for some reason - the most painful. Face is
bad, too.

Fire ant bites require a trip to the doctor and a shot. Fire Coral
(touched when diving) requires multiple shots. If stung by a wasp,
hornet, or bee, I'd head for the ER and sit in the parking lot. I've
been warned that anaphylactic shock may occur, but it's never
happened.

We have an anaphylactic shock kit around the house somewhere. My wife
(a B.S.N.) knows where it is. I hope she's home if I get stung by
something major.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John Turco 08-18-2011 10:30 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
tony cooper wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, Bowser <yeeechhh@bleah.ugh> wrote:
> >
> > Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
> > date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
> > The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
> >
> > The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
> > participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
> > Give it a shot!
> >
> > For more info:
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

>
> If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
> taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up early,
> and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late afternoon.



Which has the worse sting ("mosquitos" or "mosquitoes"), Seņor Cooper?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>

John Turco 08-18-2011 10:30 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
Savageduck wrote:
>
> > On 2011-08-05 08:10:26 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net>
> > said:
> >
> >> Savageduck wrote:


<edited for brevity>

> >> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited
> >> time.

> >
> > It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
> > mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large marble
> > that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back of my
> > thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

>
> Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
> also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
> It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
> such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
> shot, or tablets.


<edited>

Did they teach you all of that medical stuff, at the police academy?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>

John Turco 08-18-2011 10:30 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
tony cooper wrote:
>
> >> tony cooper wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:04:13 -0700, Savageduck wrote:


<edited for brevity>

> >>> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited
> >>> time.
> >>
> >> It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites.
> >> A mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
> >> marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the
> >> back of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.


<edited>

> A bite on the front lower leg is not as painful and doesn't swell as
> much. Benadryl Gel doesn't help that much. A bite on the back of the
> lower leg swells, but Benadryl Gel helps. The little bastards always
> get me in the soft tissue areas, though.
>
> Worst place is bites on the hand or fingers. Just enough soft tissue
> to cause swelling, and - for some reason - the most painful. Face is
> bad, too.
>
> Fire ant bites require a trip to the doctor and a shot. Fire Coral
> (touched when diving) requires multiple shots. If stung by a wasp,
> hornet, or bee, I'd head for the ER and sit in the parking lot. I've
> been warned that anaphylactic shock may occur, but it's never happened.


<edited>

Have you ever pondered moving to a more Tony Cooper-friendly state?
(Florida sounds somwhat hellish, for you.)

--
Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>

John Turco 08-26-2011 10:39 PM

Re: [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.
 
Savageduck wrote:
>
> > On 2011-08-18 15:30:05 -0700, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> said:
> >
> >> Savageduck wrote:
> >>
> >>> On 2011-08-05 08:10:26 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net>
> >>> said:
> >>>
> >>>> Savageduck wrote:

> >
> > <edited for brevity>
> >
> >>>> A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited
> >>>> time.
> >>>
> >>> It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
> >>> mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large marble
> >>> that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back of my
> >>> thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.
> >>
> >> Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
> >> also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
> >> It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
> >> such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
> >> shot, or tablets.

> >
> > <edited>
> >
> > Did they teach you all of that medical stuff, at the police academy?

>
> I had a life in another industry before Law enforcement came along. I
> am 62 and I had a 25 year LE career with California.
>
> My formal education was in physics, chemistry, pharmacology, anatomy &
> physiology, toxicology, and microbiology. All of those disciplines
> served me well in what I was tasked with in LE.


Intriguing career move, and a somewhat tardy one. An older brother and
his son (my nephew) were both in their mid-20's, when they joined the
Omaha Police Department (in Nebraska).

[Happened in the late 1960's and early 1990's, respectively, without
your collegiate background.]

> I am very familiar with several of the New Jersey pharmaceutical &
> chemical giants, particularly Schering-Plough, Cyanamid, & Lederle
> Laboratories.
>
> Schering is a major antihistamine developer (Claritin, Clarinex),
> and > anti-inflamatory steroids.


It's >illegal< "pharmaceutical & chemical" outfits that concerned
you, back in your heyday, eh?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.