Velocity Reviews

-   -   Graphic card question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t751854-graphic-card-question.html)

mrcpea 07-23-2011 04:31 PM

Graphic card question

Hi,
Next year I plan to upgrade my motherboard with something more modern.
At the moment, I run a Asrock p4vm890.
For now I want to upgrade the graphics from on-board to a pci-e card.
The manual states it takes a pci-e x16 card.
The slot on the board is just a pci-e but the card I'm looking at
(spec below) is a pci-e 2.1.
Will this run in my board?
Another question I have is a PCI Express 2.1 card the same as a PCI
Express x16 2.1? as some mention the x16 & some cards don't
I was thinking of buying a
Asus HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out Low Profile PCI-E.

The spec of the card is...

Graphics Engine ATI Radeon HD 5450
Bus Standard PCI Express 2.1
Video Memory DDR3 1G
Effective Memory Size 1024 MB
Engine Clock 650 MHz
Memory Clock 800 MHz ( 400 MHz DDR3 )
Memory Interface 64-bit
CRT Max Resolution 2048 x 1536
DVI Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
D-Sub Output Yes x 1
DVI Output Yes x 1 (DVI-I)
HDMI Output Yes x 1
HDCP Support Yes
Software Bundled ASUS Utilities & Driver
Low Profile Bracket Bundled Yes ( 2 slots )
Card Length 18CM, Width 12CM (bracket) 5.5 CM (card)

Many thanks for your time on this.

mrcpea

Paul 07-23-2011 09:06 PM

Re: Graphic card question

mrcpea wrote:
> Hi,
> Next year I plan to upgrade my motherboard with something more modern.
> At the moment, I run a Asrock p4vm890.
> For now I want to upgrade the graphics from on-board to a pci-e card.
> The manual states it takes a pci-e x16 card.
> The slot on the board is just a pci-e but the card I'm looking at
> (spec below) is a pci-e 2.1.
> Will this run in my board?
> Another question I have is a PCI Express 2.1 card the same as a PCI
> Express x16 2.1? as some mention the x16 & some cards don't
> I was thinking of buying a
> Asus HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out Low Profile PCI-E.
>
> The spec of the card is...
>
> Graphics Engine ATI Radeon HD 5450
> Bus Standard PCI Express 2.1
> Video Memory DDR3 1G
> Effective Memory Size 1024 MB
> Engine Clock 650 MHz
> Memory Clock 800 MHz ( 400 MHz DDR3 )
> Memory Interface 64-bit
> CRT Max Resolution 2048 x 1536
> DVI Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
> D-Sub Output Yes x 1
> DVI Output Yes x 1 (DVI-I)
> HDMI Output Yes x 1
> HDCP Support Yes
> Software Bundled ASUS Utilities & Driver
> Low Profile Bracket Bundled Yes ( 2 slots )
> Card Length 18CM, Width 12CM (bracket) 5.5 CM (card)
>
> Many thanks for your time on this.
>
> mrcpea

Check the Feedback tab here.

"Customer Reviews of the ASRock P4VM890"

The test results from customer feedback say:

"not booting with ati x1650 installed"

"2 saphire ati x1650 pci express 16 cards and
cant get either of them to work."

"i added nvidia 7950GT and now i play all the great games"

"milking every last drop... 4008 on 3d06 with ... leadtech 7900gs"

"Loaded vista and it worked. ... pci-e x850xt"

"built a SSF with his board running 7900GTX"

http://www.mvktech.net/component/opt...1011/catid,12/

"Gigabyte Radeon HD 3650, and the BIOS not well supported? - 2008/07/20"

"I have a problem, whe I put in the new video card in motherboard,
when I boot up the PC, there only show blank screen. And when I put
my video card in another mainboard then is good, all working.

My System Specifications...
- ASRock P4VM890 VIA Chipset Mainboard"

So the results are mixed. I would expect the HD3650 results
are indicative of how the HD5450 will work out. And it's hard
to say whether this is a VIA chipset problem, or an Asrock
BIOS quality problem.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=554&card2=625

The x850xt probably worked, because it's the closest to
the original PCI Express. The other (non-working ATI)
are probably later bus standard.

Nothing will be damaged by plugging it in, but on the
other hand, you may end up with a useless video card
in your hands.

You really need to dig for another forum, with more
modern video card test results. That's all I could
find in a quick search.

Paul

mrcpea 07-26-2011 08:06 PM

Re: Graphic card question

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:06:28 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote:

> [...]

> when I boot up the PC, there only show blank screen. And when I put
> my video card in another mainboard then is good, all working.
>
> My System Specifications...
> - ASRock P4VM890 VIA Chipset Mainboard"
>
>So the results are mixed. I would expect the HD3650 results
>are indicative of how the HD5450 will work out. And it's hard
>to say whether this is a VIA chipset problem, or an Asrock
>BIOS quality problem.
>
>http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=554&card2=625
>
>The x850xt probably worked, because it's the closest to
>the original PCI Express. The other (non-working ATI)
>are probably later bus standard.
>
>Nothing will be damaged by plugging it in, but on the
>other hand, you may end up with a useless video card
>in your hands.
>
>You really need to dig for another forum, with more
>modern video card test results. That's all I could

Paul,
Many thanks for your reply

Edwin T. 08-19-2011 06:21 PM

Re: Graphic card question

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:31:07 +0100, mrcpea wrote:

> Hi,
> Next year I plan to upgrade my motherboard with something more modern.
> At the moment, I run a Asrock p4vm890.
> For now I want to upgrade the graphics from on-board to a pci-e card.
> The manual states it takes a pci-e x16 card.
> The slot on the board is just a pci-e but the card I'm looking at
> (spec below) is a pci-e 2.1.
> Will this run in my board?
> Another question I have is a PCI Express 2.1 card the same as a PCI
> Express x16 2.1? as some mention the x16 & some cards don't
> I was thinking of buying a
> Asus HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out Low Profile PCI-E.
>
> The spec of the card is...
>
> Graphics Engine ATI Radeon HD 5450
> Bus Standard PCI Express 2.1
> Video Memory DDR3 1G
> Effective Memory Size 1024 MB
> Engine Clock 650 MHz
> Memory Clock 800 MHz ( 400 MHz DDR3 )
> Memory Interface 64-bit
> CRT Max Resolution 2048 x 1536
> DVI Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
> D-Sub Output Yes x 1
> DVI Output Yes x 1 (DVI-I)
> HDMI Output Yes x 1
> HDCP Support Yes
> Software Bundled ASUS Utilities & Driver
> Low Profile Bracket Bundled Yes ( 2 slots )
> Card Length 18CM, Width 12CM (bracket) 5.5 CM (card)
>
> Many thanks for your time on this.
>
> mrcpea

im wondering the same thing myself. I read somewhere that a 2.0 can fit in
the regular pci-e x16...not sure about a 2.1 tho