Velocity Reviews

-   -   Corrupted Memory Card (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t751386-corrupted-memory-card.html)

Alan Lichtenstein 07-13-2011 10:53 AM

Corrupted Memory Card

I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple point-and-shoot
camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation. It was the only
camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and all we really
wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some background, which it
was adequate for.

Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to download
them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure. Does
anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?

Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find the
receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting the
pictures.

Whisky-dave 07-13-2011 12:22 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

On Jul 13, 11:53*am, Alan Lichtenstein <a...@erols.com> wrote:
> I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple point-and-shoot
> camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation. *It was the only
> camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and all we really
> wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some background, which it
> was adequate for.
>
> Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
> which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
> taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
> message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
> Nor could I download the shots to my computer. *I would have to download
> them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
> into my library. *Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
> discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure. *Does
> anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?
>
> Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find the
> receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting the
> pictures.

If you have a card reader, rather than use teh camera can't you just
drag and drop the folder (Mac OS)
or use the PC to open the folder and copy all the files/folder.
You might need to de-select any corrupt file/image first.

Alan Lichtenstein 07-13-2011 04:09 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Jul 13, 11:53 am, Alan Lichtenstein <a...@erols.com> wrote:
>
>>I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple point-and-shoot
>>camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation. It was the only
>>camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and all we really
>>wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some background, which it
>>was adequate for.
>>
>>Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
>>which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
>>taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
>>message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
>>Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to download
>>them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
>>into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
>>discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure. Does
>>anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?
>>
>>Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find the
>>receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting the
>>pictures.

> If you have a card reader, rather than use teh camera can't you just
> drag and drop the folder (Mac OS)
> or use the PC to open the folder and copy all the files/folder.
> You might need to de-select any corrupt file/image first.

Tried that already. It doesn't work. The card just freezes and will
not either download images beyond the spot where the corruption is, or
allow me to delete the corrupted image.

Alan Lichtenstein 07-13-2011 04:13 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

otter wrote:

> On Jul 13 2011 5:53 AM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
>

>>Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
>>which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
>>taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
>>message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
>>Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to download
>>them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
>>into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
>>discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure. Does
>>anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?

> Can you give more details? How are you trying to down load the pictures?
> Do you have a card reader? What software are you using to do the download?
>
> If you are connecting the camera to your computer with a usb cable, it may
> be better to use a card reader. Apart from that, I'd just be speculating
> as to what your problem is.
>
> There is file recovery software that may help. I have a copy of
> "RescuePRO" that came with my Sandisk CF card. It worked pretty well to
> recover some pictures from a hard drive that I thought I lost. Had to
> sort through a lot of junk though. Maybe something like that could help
> you with your download issue, but not sure.
>
> -------

I've been using a card reader. The problem is that I can import images
up to the spot where the apparent corruption is and no further. If I
stop the import and remove the card( it will not allow itself to be
ejected in any of the usual ways ), what is already downloaded will be
dropped into a file on my hard drive. Pictures beyond the spot where
the corruption is cannot be downloaded,

I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
either one at a time, or all.

PeterN 07-13-2011 04:46 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

On 7/13/2011 12:13 PM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
> otter wrote:
>
>> On Jul 13 2011 5:53 AM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
>>

>>> Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
>>> which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after
>>> having taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a
>>> 'picture error' message and was not able to delete the picture in the
>>> corrupted spot. Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I
>>> would have to download them one-by-one and put them in a folder which
>>> I could them put them into my library. Although I only have 280
>>> pictures( before editing and discarding ), this would be a somewhat
>>> time consuming procedure. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more
>>> rapid way to transfer the images?

>> Can you give more details? How are you trying to down load the
>> pictures? Do you have a card reader? What software are you using to do
>> the download?
>>
>> If you are connecting the camera to your computer with a usb cable, it
>> may
>> be better to use a card reader. Apart from that, I'd just be speculating
>> as to what your problem is.
>>
>> There is file recovery software that may help. I have a copy of
>> "RescuePRO" that came with my Sandisk CF card. It worked pretty well to
>> recover some pictures from a hard drive that I thought I lost. Had to
>> sort through a lot of junk though. Maybe something like that could help
>> you with your download issue, but not sure.
>>
>> -------
>>

> I've been using a card reader. The problem is that I can import images
> up to the spot where the apparent corruption is and no further. If I
> stop the import and remove the card( it will not allow itself to be
> ejected in any of the usual ways ), what is already downloaded will be
> dropped into a file on my hard drive. Pictures beyond the spot where the
> corruption is cannot be downloaded,
>
> I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
> either one at a time, or all.

Can you copy the whole directory?

--
Peter

ASCII 07-13-2011 04:53 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

ASCII 07-13-2011 05:13 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
> Pictures beyond the spot where
>the corruption is cannot be downloaded,
>
>I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
>either one at a time, or all.

After you recover whatever you can,
maybe you can restore the media with a low level format.
http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04....l-Format-Tool/
works on USB card readers etc. as well as internal HDDs
be careful to select which drive before starting.

Richard 07-13-2011 05:31 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
> I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple
> point-and-shoot camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation.
> It was the only camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and
> all we really wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some
> background, which it was adequate for.
>
> Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
> which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
> taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
> message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
> Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to
> download them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them
> put them into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before
> editing and discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming
> procedure. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to
> transfer the images?
> Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find
> the receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting
> the pictures.

This has worked for me in the past:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

nospam 07-13-2011 05:32 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

In article <4e1ed158.3667546@EDCBIC>, ASCII <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

> After you recover whatever you can,
> maybe you can restore the media with a low level format.
> http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04....l-Format-Tool/
> works on USB card readers etc. as well as internal HDDs
> be careful to select which drive before starting.

there is no such thing as low level formatting a usb card or a hard
drive for that matter.

it probably just writes 0s to every block, which is a total waste of
time. hard drives automatically remap bad blocks and flash has wear
leveling.

ASCII 07-13-2011 06:32 PM

Re: Corrupted Memory Card

nospam wrote:
>In article <4e1ed158.3667546@EDCBIC>, ASCII <me2@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> After you recover whatever you can,
>> maybe you can restore the media with a low level format.
>> http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04....l-Format-Tool/
>> works on USB card readers etc. as well as internal HDDs
>> be careful to select which drive before starting.

>there is no such thing as low level formatting a usb card or a hard
>drive for that matter.
>
>it probably just writes 0s to every block, which is a total waste of
>time. hard drives automatically remap bad blocks and flash has wear
>leveling.

I wonder why the chose to call it as they did,
if you're accurate in saying there's "no such thing"?