Velocity Reviews

-   -   Almost feria time (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t751375-almost-feria-time.html)

Pablo 07-13-2011 08:22 AM

Almost feria time

Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).

What lens to take (or lenses).

Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/

Kevin McMurtrie 07-14-2011 07:34 AM

Re: Almost feria time

In article <9852u8FgbuU1@mid.individual.net>, Pablo <noone@nowhere.net>
wrote:

> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>
> What lens to take (or lenses).
>
> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

The bulky EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM also performs well at night while
being a better general-purpose lens.

I don't use the 10-22 in low light. Camera shake isn't an issue at 10mm
but the lens isn't bright enough to see what you're doing in the
viewfinder. Producing a decent perspective with it is hard enough
during the day.

Pablo 07-14-2011 09:30 AM

Re: Almost feria time

Kevin McMurtrie escribió:

> In article <9852u8FgbuU1@mid.individual.net>, Pablo <noone@nowhere.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>>
>> What lens to take (or lenses).
>>
>> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
>> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
>> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

> I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
> add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

So might I, if I had one.

My choices are thus:

Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
Canon kit 18-55
Tamron kit 70-300
Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS

Not exactly a professional collection.

Kevin McMurtrie 07-19-2011 03:11 AM

Re: Almost feria time

In article <987raaFribU1@mid.individual.net>, Pablo <noone@nowhere.net>
wrote:

> Kevin McMurtrie escribió:
>
> > In article <9852u8FgbuU1@mid.individual.net>, Pablo <noone@nowhere.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
> >>
> >> What lens to take (or lenses).
> >>
> >> Don't want to lug the rucksack full of stuff, so thought perhaps just the
> >> 10-20 and a flash. Obviously, it would be nice to have a telephoto to get
> >> the scared kids' faces in the rides etc, but one can't have everything.

> > I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
> > add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

> So might I, if I had one.
>
> My choices are thus:
>
> Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
> Canon kit 18-55
> Tamron kit 70-300
> Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
>
> Not exactly a professional collection.

Fixed lenses are inexpensive, lightweight, sharp, and bright. They can
outperform zoom lenses that cost 5 to 20 times as much.

Adding a large handle to your camera, like a folded up mini tripod, will
significantly stabilize it. The angular inertia of an opened tripod is
also an excellent stabilizer even if it's not touching the ground.

Chris Malcolm 07-19-2011 07:51 AM

Re: Almost feria time

Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie@pixelmemory.us> wrote:
> In article <987raaFribU1@mid.individual.net>, Pablo <noone@nowhere.net>
> wrote:

>> Kevin McMurtrie escribió:

>> > I'd bring the featherweight Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM with an UltraPod to
>> > add a stabilizing handle to the camera. No flash needed.

>> So might I, if I had one.
>>
>> My choices are thus:
>>
>> Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6
>> Canon kit 18-55
>> Tamron kit 70-300
>> Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
>>
>> Not exactly a professional collection.

> Fixed lenses are inexpensive, lightweight, sharp, and bright. They can
> outperform zoom lenses that cost 5 to 20 times as much.

> Adding a large handle to your camera, like a folded up mini tripod, will
> significantly stabilize it. The angular inertia of an opened tripod is
> also an excellent stabilizer even if it's not touching the ground.

Or a monopod. That's why I often have a monopod on my camera, and
often shoot without extending the monopod to touch anything. Simply as
a big heavy handle with considerable rotational inertia it's an
excellent stabiliser even before it's foot is on the ground.

There's one area in which zooms hugely outperform fixed focal lengths
-- catching unpredictable events. Often there's not even time to take
your camera out of a holster bag, let alone extract it from a pack or
change a lens.

--
Chris Malcolm

Pablo 07-28-2011 01:27 PM

Re: Almost feria time

Pablo escribió:

> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>
> What lens to take (or lenses).

I took the longest. Here are the results:

url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...261199/detail/

Eat you heart out Peter Pan.

Pablo 07-31-2011 03:39 PM

Re: Almost feria time

Paul Furman escribió:

> Pablo wrote:
>> Pablo escribió:
>>
>>> Thinking about the upcoming feria (fair - nocturnal).
>>>
>>> What lens to take (or lenses).

>> I took the longest. Here are the results:

url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...261199/detail/

>> Eat you heart out Peter Pan.

> Ah, OK, I assumed it was a night time event. What's the story with the
> spider web, or am I interpreting that wrong? Anyways, you certainly used
> the right lens.

It was early evening. The sun was a bit of a pain, actually.

The spider web was an old photo I had kicking about to replace the rather
large rubbish bins. I decided that it looked a bit Peter Pan though, so with
the later photos I just "adjusted" the depth of field a tad and left the
bins etc. in.

Pablo 07-31-2011 07:27 PM

Re: Almost feria time

Paul Furman escribió:

> Pablo wrote:
>> Paul Furman escribió:

url:http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...261199/detail/

>>> Ah, OK, I assumed it was a night time event. What's the story with the
>>> spider web, or am I interpreting that wrong? Anyways, you certainly used
>>> the right lens.

>> It was early evening. The sun was a bit of a pain, actually.
>>
>> The spider web was an old photo I had kicking about to replace the rather
>> large rubbish bins. I decided that it looked a bit Peter Pan though, so
>> with the later photos I just "adjusted" the depth of field a tad and left
>> the bins etc. in.

> :-)
>
> Looking at one of the others, the exif says 120mm f/10
> In hindsight, I would have used 400mm f/5.6 on your:
> Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 IS/OS
> to soften the backgrounds even more.

I've decided that the IS/OS doesn't work. Well, not for me.