Velocity Reviews

-   -   Good toolkit for creating program help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t751335-good-toolkit-for-creating-program-help.html)

Ross 07-12-2011 10:31 AM

Good toolkit for creating program help

Hi. I need to add help to an application. I'd like the standard table
of contents plus the ability to search by keywords.

I can easily, if not too quickly, write something from scratch. But
are there any built in libraries or other shortcuts that people would
recommend which would allow me to easily create integrated program
help?

lewbloch 07-12-2011 09:10 PM

Re: Good toolkit for creating program help

Ross wrote:
> Hi. I need to add help to an application. I'd like the standard table
> of contents plus the ability to search by keywords.
>
> I can easily, if not too quickly, write something from scratch. But
> are there any built in libraries or other shortcuts that people would
> recommend which would allow me to easily create integrated program
> help?

Would JavaHelp suit?
<http://javahelp.java.net/>

--
Lew

Warren Tang 07-13-2011 03:47 AM

On 7/13/2011 5:10 AM, lewbloch wrote:
> Ross wrote:
>> Hi. I need to add help to an application. I'd like the standard table
>> of contents plus the ability to search by keywords.
>>
>> I can easily, if not too quickly, write something from scratch. But
>> are there any built in libraries or other shortcuts that people would
>> recommend which would allow me to easily create integrated program
>> help?

> Would JavaHelp suit?
> <http://javahelp.java.net/>
>
> --
> Lew

Is there any library to built a *local* help (not online)?

Ross 07-13-2011 08:38 AM

On Jul 13, 4:47*am, Warren Tang <nos...@tangcs.com> wrote: --
> Is there any library to built a *local* help (not online)?

I'd also prefer to use an offline solution.

I'm going to give this a trial. http://www.pdfhelp.org/

markspace 07-13-2011 03:24 PM

On 7/13/2011 1:38 AM, Ross wrote:
> On Jul 13, 4:47 am, Warren Tang<nos...@tangcs.com> wrote: --
>> Is there any library to built a *local* help (not online)?

> I'd also prefer to use an offline solution.

I'm 90% sure that when Java Help says "online solution" they mean the
help is provided electronically with the program. It doesn't mean you
are required to browse the web.

The traditional use of "offline" with regard to help is a book or
printed manual. This is 1960/1970's terminology, but it's still with us
nevertheless.

lewbloch 07-13-2011 05:22 PM

Warren Tang wrote:
> lewbloch wrote:
>> Ross wrote:
>>> Hi. I need to add help to an application. I'd like the standard table
>>> of contents plus the ability to search by keywords.

>>> I can easily, if not too quickly, write something from scratch. But
>>> are there any built in libraries or other shortcuts that people would
>>> recommend which would allow me to easily create integrated program
>>> help?

>> Would JavaHelp suit?
>> <http://javahelp.java.net/>

> Is there any library to built a *local* help (not online)?

Yes, there's JavaHelp.
http://javahelp.java.net/
«The JavaHelp system is a Java Platform, Standard Edition ("Java SE")
optional package.»
as a cursory reading of the first page of the site reveals.

--
Lew

Jim Janney 07-13-2011 09:42 PM

markspace <-@.> writes:

> On 7/13/2011 1:38 AM, Ross wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 4:47 am, Warren Tang<nos...@tangcs.com> wrote: --
>>> Is there any library to built a *local* help (not online)?

>> I'd also prefer to use an offline solution.

> I'm 90% sure that when Java Help says "online solution" they mean the
> help is provided electronically with the program. It doesn't mean you
> are required to browse the web.
>
> The traditional use of "offline" with regard to help is a book or
> printed manual. This is 1960/1970's terminology, but it's still with
> us nevertheless.

Javahelp uses HTML, but the help pages don't have to be on the web. You
can bundle them with your program and keep them on the local file
system.

I used Javahelp a couple of years back and ended up very frustrated,
because it wasn't a good fit for what I wanted to do. If I had it to do
over again I would just start from scratch. My advice would be to try
it, but not to waste too much time fighting with it if it isn't what you
need.

--
Jim Janney

Ross 07-13-2011 10:15 PM

Re: Good toolkit for creating program help

I didn't get on well with PdfHelp. My sample application just sat
there not bringing up the window I expected while my processor was
working hard at something. JavaHelp is more heavy duty than I needed.
I just built my own History browser, based around a JTree and a
JEditorPane, with one XML file to organise a number of HTML help
pages. Still have to write the help contents, but at least it's fairly
simple. I still have to write a keyword search function, but that
shouldn't be too difficult. Especially since my help should be small
enough that I can search live, rather than having to precompute an

Roedy Green 07-14-2011 04:24 AM

Re: Good toolkit for creating program help

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 03:31:49 -0700 (PDT), Ross <rossclement@gmail.com>

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/help.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Ross 07-14-2011 09:16 AM

Re: Good toolkit for creating program help

On Jul 14, 5:24*am, Roedy Green <see_webs...@mindprod.com.invalid>
wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 03:31:49 -0700 (PDT), Ross <rossclem...@gmail.com>
>
> >Hi. I need to add help to an application. I'd like the standard table
> >of contents plus the ability to search by keywords.

> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/help.html

Hi. The Java glossary is a very useful resource in general. But, I'm
not sure how the entry on "help" is relevant to the current question.