Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Last Week at Yosemite (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t751144-re-last-week-at-yosemite.html)

notbob 07-08-2011 05:17 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 2011-07-08, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite, as this Winter we had
> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there.

40 yrs? No wonder we got almost no snow in the CO Rockies, this year.

nb

Paul L 07-11-2011 02:37 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 7/8/2011 11:17 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-07-08, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> what was happening up in the Sierras& Yosemite, as this Winter we had
>> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there.

> 40 yrs? No wonder we got almost no snow in the CO Rockies, this year.
>
> nb

Almost the entire state of CO is way above average snowpack. A very
small area of south central CO is the only area with less than average
snowpack and it is quite a bit less than average there ... about 65%
last I heard. I'm wondering if some of the creeks on the East side of
the Sangre de Cristos might go dry this year for the first time since '92.

We should be coming up to peak wildflower season around Vail Pass and
there is still snow up there.

Paul

notbob 07-11-2011 03:04 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 2011-07-11, Paul L <paul@kbtrans.net> wrote:

> Almost the entire state of CO is way above average snowpack. A very
> small area of south central CO is the only area with less than average
> snowpack and it is quite a bit less than average there ... about 65%
> last I heard.

I'm in Chaffee county, dead center in the state, about 45 miles south
of the source of the Arkansas R. Never got more than a couple inches
about 4 times, here.

> I'm wondering if some of the creeks on the East side of
> the Sangre de Cristos might go dry this year for the first time since '92.

Yeah, that's southeast of us. I live in the valley in the lee of the
Collegiate Peaks (Sawatch range). Apparently Leadville, 40 miles north, got
more than average snowpack. That would explain the excellent flow the Ark
is getting, this year. But, we're dry as a bone! What difference a
few miles makes.

> We should be coming up to peak wildflower season around Vail Pass and
> there is still snow up there.

Wish I could see it. I'm caring for my Alzheimers mom and get out
rarely. I'll hafta settle fer pics of the Ark and the flotilla of
rafters that pass under our window. ;)

nb

Paul L 07-11-2011 03:18 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 7/11/2011 9:04 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-07-11, Paul L<paul@kbtrans.net> wrote:
>
>> Almost the entire state of CO is way above average snowpack. A very
>> small area of south central CO is the only area with less than average
>> snowpack and it is quite a bit less than average there ... about 65%
>> last I heard.

> I'm in Chaffee county, dead center in the state, about 45 miles south
> of the source of the Arkansas R. Never got more than a couple inches
> about 4 times, here.
>
>> I'm wondering if some of the creeks on the East side of
>> the Sangre de Cristos might go dry this year for the first time since '92.

> Yeah, that's southeast of us. I live in the valley in the lee of the
> Collegiate Peaks (Sawatch range). Apparently Leadville, 40 miles north, got
> more than average snowpack. That would explain the excellent flow the Ark
> is getting, this year. But, we're dry as a bone! What difference a
> few miles makes.
>
>> We should be coming up to peak wildflower season around Vail Pass and
>> there is still snow up there.

> Wish I could see it. I'm caring for my Alzheimers mom and get out
> rarely. I'll hafta settle fer pics of the Ark and the flotilla of
> rafters that pass under our window. ;)
>
> nb

Sounds like you are on the north end of the dryness ... I spend a lot of
time just south of you in Custer County and it is firecracker dry there,
too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/westcli...in/photostream

That's a tough job you've taken on taking care of your mom ... best of luck.

Paul