Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Last Week at Yosemite (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t751131-re-last-week-at-yosemite.html)

Whisky-dave 07-08-2011 12:30 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On Jul 8, 7:34*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite,

Roughly how far is this drive, just curious..

as this Winter we had
> the deepest snow pack in 40 years up there. So with the snow melt the
> valley and all of the waterfalls were spectacular.
>
> Also driving in the higher elevations over Tioga Pass, we still had a
> fair amount of snow on the ground and frozen lakes, in 75 Temps.
>
> Some of the usual suspects:
> <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9246cw.jpg>
> <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9264w.jpg>
> <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9343w.jpg>

Nice photos it does look like a good place to take photos. Maybe I
should venture out of the city,(London)
but I'd miss the conctete ;-)

PeterN 07-08-2011 01:49 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 7/8/2011 9:27 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-07-08 05:30:04 -0700, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Jul 8, 7:34 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>> Last week I took a few days to drive across to the mountains to see
>>> what was happening up in the Sierras & Yosemite,

>> Roughly how far is this drive, just curious..

> According to Google Maps 216 miles (348Km) from my driveway to Yosemite
> National Park.
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/PR-YNPbw.jpg >

I have a slightly longer trip, 2,816 miles

--
Peter

PeterN 07-08-2011 02:39 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 7/8/2011 9:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-07-08 06:49:02 -0700, PeterN <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> said:

>>> According to Google Maps 216 miles (348Km) from my driveway to Yosemite
>>> National Park.
>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/PR-YNPbw.jpg >
>>>

>> I have a slightly longer trip, 2,816 miles

> Well gas up and hit the road!
>
> I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
> feet wet. ;-)

We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
and went to several of the western National Parks.

--
Peter

David Ruether 07-08-2011 03:20 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

"PeterN" <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message news:
4e1716c4$0$12452$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com:
> On 7/8/2011 9:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:

> >> I have a slightly longer trip, 2,816 miles

> > Well gas up and hit the road!
> >
> > I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
> > feet wet. ;-)

> We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
> Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
> and went to several of the western National Parks.
> --
> Peter

I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
--DR

GMAN 07-08-2011 05:06 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

In article <iv7774$r68$1@ruby.cit.cornell.edu>, "David Ruether" <d_ruether@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"PeterN" <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message news:
>4e1716c4$0$12452$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com:

>> > Well gas up and hit the road!
>> >
>> > I suspect it would be a mite further for W-Dave, and he would get his
>> > feet wet. ;-)

>> We've been talking about it. The problem is that flying is such a PITA.
>> Last Summer some of my friends took the train to Chitown, rented a van
>> and went to several of the western National Parks.
>> --
>> Peter

>I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
>visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
>months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
>of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
>and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
>don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
>of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
>Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
>--DR

Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont consider
Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or Valley
of The Gods?

notbob 07-08-2011 05:36 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 2011-07-08, GMAN <Winniethepooh@100acrewoods.org> wrote:

> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast.....

As if to larf.

As a "real" westerner, I can assure you "the real
west" includes the Rocky Mountain states, like NM, CO, MT, and WY.
I currently live in the CO Rockies at 8K ft elev and I'm here to tell
you it's definitely part of "the real west".

nb --native CA'n

GMAN 07-08-2011 06:38 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

In article <97otgrFrttU5@mid.individual.net>, notbob <notbob@notbob.invalid> wrote:
>On 2011-07-08, GMAN <Winniethepooh@100acrewoods.org> wrote:
>
>> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast.....

>As if to larf.
>
>As a "real" westerner, I can assure you "the real
>west" includes the Rocky Mountain states, like NM, CO, MT, and WY.
>I currently live in the CO Rockies at 8K ft elev and I'm here to tell
>you it's definitely part of "the real west".
>
>nb --native CA'n

I know, yes you guys are part of the real west. I was trying to say that Iowa
is not.

You left out Idaho!!!

David Ruether 07-08-2011 08:22 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

TOGRp.74945$fD6.45908@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com:

<d_ruether@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >I've been across the US (NYS - California) several times by car,
> >visiting mostly the western parks, on trips lasting up to three
> >months. More recently, though, a friend and I have taken a couple
> >of trips to that area by flying into Las Vegas and renting a car
> >and making a great loop through the western parks. Not that I
> >don't like Iowa, etc., but the "real" scenery is either in some
> >of the NE or in much of the SE of the US (but DO INCLUDE the
> >Canadian Rockies and the Maritimes if you can! ;-).
> >--DR

> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast, dont consider
> Iowa "west". Did you ever visit Zions? Or Brice Canyon, Or Arches, or Valley
> of The Gods?

Huh?!?!
Did you actually read what I wrote?!?!?!?!? 8^)
--DR

David Ruether 07-08-2011 08:47 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

"GMAN" <Winniethepooh@100acrewoods.org> wrote in message news:
v8IRp.78858$nZ1.33950@en-nntp-15.dc1.easynews.com:
> In article <97otgrFrttU5@mid.individual.net>, notbob <notbob@notbob.invalid> wrote:
> >On 2011-07-08, GMAN <Winniethepooh@100acrewoods.org> wrote:

> >> Those of us in the real west, Utah west to the pacific coast.....

> >As if to larf.
> >
> >As a "real" westerner, I can assure you "the real
> >west" includes the Rocky Mountain states, like NM, CO, MT, and WY.
> >I currently live in the CO Rockies at 8K ft elev and I'm here to tell
> >you it's definitely part of "the real west".
> >
> >nb --native CA'n

> I know, yes you guys are part of the real west. I was trying to say
> that Iowa is not.

Um, who said it was...?;-)

> You left out Idaho!!!

Yuh cain't name 'em all! BTW, do you know where the highest
mountain from its visible base to its peak is - IN THE WORLD?
It's Mt. Rainier, in Washington State (and it makes the US
Rockies look rather "pip-squeaky" in comparison since they
poke out above an already very high plateau). Do you know
what the largest park is in the continental US? Nope. It
is Adirondack State Park in NYS, into which the FIVE largest
western national parks would all fit, with plenty of space left
over!;-) Do you know where the highest straight-drop waterfalls
is east of the Mississippi? It's just a couple of miles up
the road from me, near Ithaca, NY, where there are so many
glens and gorges and waterfalls, most of them go unnamed.
As for Colorado, it has a favorite national park of mine,
Black Canyon of the Gunnison, where you can hang your toes
over the edge of a sheer vertical cliff of 2700 feet. Now
THAT'S excitin'!;-) But wait, there's more! (Well, maybe for
another time.....;-)
--DR

notbob 07-08-2011 09:43 PM

Re: Last Week at Yosemite

On 2011-07-08, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2011-07-08 13:47:32 -0700, "David Ruether" <d_ruether@hotmail.com> said:

>> Rockies look rather "pip-squeaky" in comparison since they

You've obviously missed some parts of the Rockies.

> As far as Western mountains go, the Sierras and Cascades do a pretty
> good job of the alpine thing.

I grew up stomping around the CA Sierra-Nevadas. I know the Tahoe to
Yosemite area like the back of my hand. I used to think the Sierras
were much grander than the Rockies. I now live in the central CO
Rockies. I was wrong. There are places, here, that actually scare
me! ;)

nb