Velocity Reviews

-   -   Timezone string and converting dates to my time zone (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t751042-timezone-string-and-converting-dates-to-my-time-zone.html)

laredotornado 07-06-2011 08:35 PM

Timezone string and converting dates to my time zone

Hi,

I'm using Java 1.6. I'm trying to convert a date that is of a
different time zone than what my machine is and I'm trying to get an
equivalent java.util.Date object for my time zone. So I'm trying ...

public void setLEAD_ENTRY_DATE(Date lEAD_ENTRY_DATE) {
final Calendar cal = Calendar.getInstance();
final String tz =
EnvironmentProperties.getInstance().get("database_ time_zone").trim();
cal.setTimeZone( TimeZone.getTimeZone(tz) );
cal.setTime( lEAD_ENTRY_DATE );
this.LEAD_ENTRY_DATE = cal.getTime();

but this isn't working (time passed in is the same as what I get
back). The time zone string is, "GMT-5:00", and I'm in central
standard time (GMT-6:00). Any hints on how to get this right are
greatly appreciated, - Dave

markspace 07-06-2011 09:02 PM

Re: Timezone string and converting dates to my time zone

On 7/6/2011 1:35 PM, laredotornado wrote:

> but this isn't working (time passed in is the same as what I get
> back). The time zone string is, "GMT-5:00", and I'm in central
> standard time (GMT-6:00). Any hints on how to get this right are
> greatly appreciated, - Dave

Wouldn't your own current time zone just be TimeZone.getDefault()?

Nigel Wade 07-07-2011 08:27 AM

On 06/07/11 21:35, laredotornado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Java 1.6. I'm trying to convert a date that is of a
> different time zone than what my machine is and I'm trying to get an
> equivalent java.util.Date object for my time zone. So I'm trying ...
>
> public void setLEAD_ENTRY_DATE(Date lEAD_ENTRY_DATE) {
> final Calendar cal = Calendar.getInstance();
> final String tz =
> EnvironmentProperties.getInstance().get("database_ time_zone").trim();
> cal.setTimeZone( TimeZone.getTimeZone(tz) );
> cal.setTime( lEAD_ENTRY_DATE );
> this.LEAD_ENTRY_DATE = cal.getTime();
>
> but this isn't working (time passed in is the same as what I get
> back). The time zone string is, "GMT-5:00", and I'm in central
> standard time (GMT-6:00). Any hints on how to get this right are
> greatly appreciated, - Dave

Date doesn't have a timezone, or it's always represented in UTC,
depending on your perspective. It represents a specific instant in time,
independent of timezone.

You can convert from a Date to a wallclock date/time in a particular
timezone (as represented by a Calendar) just as you do in your code. If
you convert from that Calendar back to a Date you will get the same Date
back.

--
Nigel Wade

Roedy Green 07-08-2011 07:56 AM

Re: Timezone string and converting dates to my time zone

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:35:39 -0700 (PDT), laredotornado
<laredotornado@zipmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :

>I'm using Java 1.6. I'm trying to convert a date that is of a
>different time zone than what my machine is and I'm trying to get an
>equivalent java.util.Date object for my time zone.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timezone.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/calendar.html
for recipes for the usual transforms.
--