Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t750960-fuji-so-now-interchangeable-lenses-are-luxury.html)

RichA 07-05-2011 11:47 PM

Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

Pie in the sky, Fuji. Talk is cheap.

Reuters:

Fujifilm aims to be world No. 3 in cameras
Mon, Jul 4 2011

By Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai

OMIYA, Japan (Reuters) - Japan's Fujifilm aims to become the world's
fourth largest camera maker by next March and the No. 3 manufacturer
two years later, overtaking first rival Samsung and then Nikon, a
senior company executive said.

Until recently best known for inexpensive models, Fujifilm may also re-
enter the more lucrative interchangeable lens camera market from which
it withdrew in 2004, Takeshi Higuchi, head of the company's camera
division, said in an interview with Reuters on Monday.

The launch of a mirrorless camera, which has an electronic viewfinder,
making it lighter and more compact than a professional-style single-
lens reflex camera, would be an extension of Fujifilm's effort to move
upmarket and would put it in direct competition with Sony.

Earlier this year it launched the Finepix X100 high-end compact, which
is made in Japan and sells for about 120,000 yen ($1,480).

Higuchi insisted the company would have no problems developing a
mirrorless camera or the required lenses by itself, denying the
possibility of another acquisition in the industry.

Last week copier and printer maker Ricoh, which also has a compact
camera division, announced it was buying the Pentax camera business
from Hoya.

Fujifilm, which makes a wide range of products from medical equipment
to cosmetics, barely broke even on cameras last year, but Higuchi
plans to pull the business firmly into the black this year with
production cost cuts and a marketing push that he says will keep unit
prices higher.

"We can do all the important development in-house, so we can use that
to cut costs, but we don't have a very high-profile brand," Higuchi
said. "We have debated why that is and the upshot was we should put
out luxury models and spend more on publicity to build up the brand."

In digital still camera unit sales, Fujifilm says it is currently in
fifth position behind Canon, Sony, Nikon and Samsung, but adds it is
confident that its plan to boost sales 25 percent to 14 million units
this financial year will gain it the No. 4 spot.

Apart from the Finepix X100, all the company's camera production is
concentrated in China, but Fujifilm is planning to spread risk by
starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
Thailand looked promising.

"We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
China," he added.

A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
China will be maintained, he said.

($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

(Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
Gibbs)

PeterN 07-06-2011 01:58 PM

Re: Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

On 7/5/2011 7:47 PM, RichA wrote:
> [...]
> confident that its plan to boost sales 25 percent to 14 million units
> this financial year will gain it the No. 4 spot.
>
> Apart from the Finepix X100, all the company's camera production is
> concentrated in China, but Fujifilm is planning to spread risk by
> starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
> Thailand looked promising.
>
> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
> China," he added.
>
> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
> China will be maintained, he said.
>
> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
>
> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina

That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/

Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

--
Peter

Robert Coe 07-06-2011 03:18 PM

Re: Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:58:55 -0400, PeterN <peter.new@nospam.verizon.net>
wrote:
: On 7/5/2011 7:47 PM, RichA wrote:
: > Pie in the sky, Fuji. Talk is cheap.
: >
: > Reuters:
: >
:
: That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
: part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
:
: Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?

Bob

Irwell 07-06-2011 03:27 PM

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:58:55 -0400, PeterN wrote:

> [...]
>> starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
>> Thailand looked promising.
>>
>> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
>> China," he added.
>>
>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
>> China will be maintained, he said.
>>
>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
>>
>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
>> Gibbs)

> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>
> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date
and the authors, what more do you want?

RichA 07-06-2011 04:33 PM

On Jul 6, 9:58*am, PeterN <peter....@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> [...]

> > starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
> > Thailand looked promising.

> > "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
> > turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
> > China," he added.

> > A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
> > year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
> > Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
> > China will be maintained, he said.

> > ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

> > (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
> > Gibbs)

> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>
> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
site.

RichA 07-06-2011 04:33 PM

On Jul 6, 11:27*am, Irwell <h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> Thailand looked promising.

> >> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
> >> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
> >> China," he added.

> >> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
> >> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
> >> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
> >> China will be maintained, he said.

> >> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

> >> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
> >> Gibbs)

> > That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
> > part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/

> > Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

> He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date

Someone to spoon feed him.

PeterN 07-06-2011 05:01 PM

On 7/6/2011 11:18 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
> :> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
> :> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
> :> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
> :> China will be maintained, he said.
> :>
> :> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
> :>
> :> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
> :> Gibbs)
> :
> : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
> : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
> :
> : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
>
> Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
> dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?

when quoting all or part of an article I use quotation marks. I also
supply a link so the reader can see everything in context.

--
Peter

PeterN 07-06-2011 05:02 PM

On 7/6/2011 11:27 AM, Irwell wrote:
> [...]
>>> Thailand looked promising.
>>>
>>> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
>>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
>>> China," he added.
>>>
>>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
>>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
>>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
>>> China will be maintained, he said.
>>>
>>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
>>>
>>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
>>> Gibbs)

>> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
>> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>>
>> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

> He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date

See my response to Bob Coe.

--
Peter

PeterN 07-06-2011 05:03 PM

On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:
> [...]

>>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
>>> China," he added.

>>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
>>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
>>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
>>> China will be maintained, he said.

>>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

>>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
>>> Gibbs)

>> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
>> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>>
>> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters

Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.

--
Peter

John A. 07-06-2011 05:20 PM

Re: Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:01:15 -0400, PeterN
> [...]

>> :> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
>> :> China will be maintained, he said.
>> :>
>> :> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
>> :>
>> :> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
>> :> Gibbs)
>> :
>> : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
>> : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
>> :
>> : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
>>
>> Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
>> dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?
>>

>when quoting all or part of an article I use quotation marks. I also
>supply a link so the reader can see everything in context.

Is that according to the Usenet manual of style?