Velocity Reviews

-   -   New Panasonic G3 camera - question about the standard zoom lens (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t750944-new-panasonic-g3-camera-question-about-the-standard-zoom-lens.html)

Wally 07-05-2011 04:29 PM

New Panasonic G3 camera - question about the standard zoom lens

The new mirrorless Panasonic G3 is a very compact four-thirds camera
that seems to be just the thing for when you don't want or need to
schlep your DSLR around all day.

It is available with a 14-42mm kit lens... and there is also a
somewhat more expensive 14-45mm lens available.

As far as I can tell, both lenses are image stabilized. Both lenses
have apertures of 3.5-5.6. Both are called "kit" lenses.

So, why does Panasonic have two such similar lenses? What's the
difference between them? Which one is better?

Wally

RichA 07-05-2011 04:38 PM

Re: New Panasonic G3 camera - question about the standard zoom lens

On Jul 5, 12:29*pm, Wally <Wa...@luxx.com> wrote:
> The new mirrorless Panasonic G3 is a very compact four-thirds camera
> that seems to be just the thing for when you don't want or need to
> schlep your DSLR around all day.
>
> It is available with a 14-42mm kit lens... and there is also a
> somewhat more expensive 14-45mm lens available.
>
> As far as I can tell, both lenses are image stabilized. Both lenses
> have apertures of 3.5-5.6. Both are called "kit" lenses.
>
> So, why does Panasonic have two such similar lenses? What's the
> difference between them? Which one is better?
>
> Wally

Because one is substantially better built and better optically (you
can see the graphs on their website) than the later, cheaper unit.
The 14-45mm is the way to go if you can afford the extra $160.00.