Velocity Reviews

-   -   repair this photo? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t750647-repair-this-photo.html)

___P.Sir 06-29-2011 08:02 AM

repair this photo?

This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?

brgds
p.sorensen, Denmark

http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Martin Brown 06-29-2011 08:18 AM

Re: repair this photo?

On 29/06/2011 09:02, ___P.Sir wrote:
> This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
> Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
> okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
>
> brgds
> p.sorensen, Denmark
>
> http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Sun is almost overhead and camera facing into sun - likely a smear on
the lens is responsible for some haze on highlights. Distance haze may
well be real - cameras pick it up more than our eyes notice at the time.

Best bet is unsharp mask with radius 3 or 4 and 50-60% strength
according to taste and then histogram adjust. You might want to tweak
the shadow detail independently or next time use a fill in flash.

Regards,
Martin Brown

David J Taylor 06-29-2011 08:22 AM

Re: repair this photo?

"___P.Sir" <remove_ps@granvista.dk> wrote in message
> This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
> Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
> are okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
>
> brgds
> p.sorensen, Denmark
>
> http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Any standard image editing program should be able to clear it up somewhat.
The old version of Paint Shop Pro I have has a "clarify" command. It
looks like condensation on the lens, the camera being taken from an
air-conditions interior into a humid environment, with insufficient time
for the condensation to clear. Likely you will never make the picture
perfect, though. Using "One step photo fix" from Paint Shop Pro I got
this:

http://www.satsignal.eu/IMAG0035-a.jpg

Cheers,
David

ASCII 06-29-2011 04:24 PM

Re: repair this photo?

G Paleologopoulos wrote:

>>> This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
>>> Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
>>> are
>>> okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
>>>
>>> brgds
>>> p.sorensen, Denmark
>>>
>>> http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg
>>>

>And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
>p&s's.................

Isn't HTC supposed to be an upscale cell camera/phone?

ASCII 06-29-2011 07:57 PM

Re: repair this photo?

Doug Bashford wrote:

>> >And to think that some consider cell-phone cameras a menace to
>> >p&s's.................

>> Isn't HTC supposed to be an upscale cell camera/phone?

>Some here should LOVE it:
>
>"The body of the HTC Legend is cut from a single piece of
>brushed aluminium. ...gives you a strong device that can
>take what life throws at it."
>
>Meanwhile I still lust after an 8 oz. plastic
>framed Ruger® LCP® compact .380 Auto!

Or the plastic (Zytel) gripped Ruger® KP-4 22-45 stainless.
It's only a little larger than the .380 Lightweight Compact Pistol
but will still fit in a pocket, if that's where you like to carry,
plus the ammo is cheap enough to encourage that all important practice,
so necessary for critical shot placement, with any small caliber firearm.

Maybe have to take an HTC out to the desert plinking range some day
just to see how tough that "single piece of brushed aluminum" really is?

___P.Sir 06-29-2011 10:26 PM

Re: repair this photo?

"___P.Sir" <remove_ps@granvista.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
> This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
> Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
> okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
>
> brgds
> p.sorensen, Denmark
>
> http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

Thank You all for good advice - however, I am not sure the theory about the
camera and the poor lens is justified...I have put on the same web a few
more photos taken minutes within the problem one - but with the sun in the
back instead. And though I agree it is not SLP quality, it still is quite
good for the "impulsive" picture taking, without having to carry a bunch of
equipment - in my humble opinion...

They are here: http://granvista.dk/foto/
(no`s. 27, 31, 32, 36.
p.sorensen

J. Clarke 06-30-2011 12:52 AM

Re: repair this photo?

In article <4e0ba6a2$0$302$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
remove_ps@granvista.dk says...

> "___P.Sir" <remove_ps@granvista.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
> > This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
> > Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
> > okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
> >
> > brgds
> > p.sorensen, Denmark
> >
> > http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg
> >

> Thank You all for good advice - however, I am not sure the theory about the
> camera and the poor lens is justified...I have put on the same web a few
> more photos taken minutes within the problem one - but with the sun in the
> back instead. And though I agree it is not SLP quality, it still is quite
> good for the "impulsive" picture taking, without having to carry a bunch of
> equipment - in my humble opinion...
>
> They are here: http://granvista.dk/foto/
> (no`s. 27, 31, 32, 36.
> p.sorensen

Here's a try at it using Levels and Brightness/Contrast in Photoshop.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/5885804847/>. I believe that
the latest Photoshop Elements can do the same and it's a lot cheaper.
If I worked on it longer I could probably get more improvement but that
should give an idea of what can be done.

A short tutorial can be found at
<http://edwinsetiawan.wordpress.com/2...washout-photo-
caused-by-lens-flare-using-photoshop/>.

That said, the best cure for image problems is preventing them in the
first place.

If, facing into the sun, you get a "somewhat hazy" image, but facing
away you don't, the cause is almost certainly lens flare, the result of
sunlight impinging directly on part of the lens and being directed onto
the film/sensor. Lens flare can take many forms, from overall haze to
outlines of internal parts of the lens to odd points of light--it can
also occur at night when there are bright lights in a position to
impinge on the lens.

The first thing to do to avoid it is make sure there is not a problem
with the lens--dust, condensation, fingerprints, scratches, etc.

Next step is to arrange some kind of lens hood. You can buy one
specifally made for your lens or you can cobble one up from an
appropriately sized paper cup or some cardboard or you can just hold
your hand in the right place to shade the lens from the sun.

Beyond that you can go with a higher grade lens with better coatings, or
a non-zoom lens with fewer air-glass surfaces, but under the right
circumstances any lens can produce flare.

no_one_cares@whatbusterthinks.com 07-08-2011 06:50 AM

Re: repair this photo?

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:02:20 +0200, "___P.Sir"
<remove_ps@granvista.dk> wrote:

>This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
>Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day are
>okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
>
>brgds
>p.sorensen, Denmark
>
>http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

I'm currently on a computer with little video RAM and all I
used was GIMP, but if you want to know, here's what I did.

I upped the contrast a bit, and then clicked "colors" / "auto"
/ "white balance", and it sharpened up the image considerably. I'll
send it to you by e-mail.

John Turco 07-15-2011 10:08 PM

Re: repair this photo?

"___P.Sir" wrote:

> > "___P.Sir" <remove_ps@granvista.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
> > This photo from Spain last week has become somewhat hazy, dont know why.
> > Perhaps the sun, perhaps the lens, although other photos from same day
> > are okay..but anyone has an idea of how to make it clearer?
> >
> > brgds
> > p.sorensen, Denmark
> >
> > http://granvista.dk/foto/IMAG0035.jpg

> Thank You all for good advice - however, I am not sure the theory about the
> camera and the poor lens is justified...I have put on the same web a few
> more photos taken minutes within the problem one - but with the sun in the
> back instead. And though I agree it is not SLP quality, it still is quite
> good for the "impulsive" picture taking, without having to carry a bunch
> of equipment - in my humble opinion...

No need for apologies.

> They are here: http://granvista.dk/foto/
> (no`s. 27, 31, 32, 36.
> p.sorensen

I viewed the images, and thought they were surprisingly good. A bit
"soft" and lacking in detail, and yet...color and resolution are
both adequate.

As for myself, I started at the bottom, with a lowly Largan "Lmini
350" digicam (350,000 pixels). That was in January of 2001; some
10+ years later, your cell phone camera takes preferable shots.

Good luck, and keep on snappin'!

--
Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>