Velocity Reviews

-   -   Multiple SIP Clients? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t750497-multiple-sip-clients.html)

Anthony R. Gold 06-25-2011 09:44 AM

Multiple SIP Clients?

Can one have a SIP incoming call ring in multiple places and over multiple
ATAs and softphones such that the first one to pick-up will seize the call?
My present configurations have each client registering with the server and so
causing a pre-existing registration to be closed and ended.

David Woolley 06-25-2011 10:13 AM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> Can one have a SIP incoming call ring in multiple places and over multiple
> ATAs and softphones such that the first one to pick-up will seize the call?

Yes, that is a standard part of SIP, and implementable at the proxy
level; it is called branching. It may not be a service operated by
public PSTN gateways, though.

> My present configurations have each client registering with the server and so
> causing a pre-existing registration to be closed and ended.

I'm not sure that multiple registrations against the same address of
record is allowed though. Asterisk certainly doesn't support it. You
would probably have to make to do some hard configuration in the proxy
or B2BUA. For Asterisk (a B2BUA) you put
......Dial(SIP/address1&SIP/address2&SIP/address3&otherprotocol/address4)
in extensions.conf, or the "dialplan" database.

One key to this is maintaining the distinction between directory numbers
(Asterisk extensions) and equipment numbers (Asterisk devices), which is
often confused when the switching equipment allows similar names for both.

David Woolley 06-25-2011 10:22 AM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

You actually meant servers. SIP user agents act as protocol servers for
incoming calls.

Anthony R. Gold 06-25-2011 07:16 PM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:24 +0100 (BST), usethebl@stedtelephone.invalid (Paul
Cummins) wrote:

> In article <o5bb07hrit8v8i0c4gc2sugft2m3gugr72@4ax.com>, not-for-mail@ahjg.co.uk
> (Anthony R. Gold) wrote:
>
>> *From:* "Anthony R. Gold" <not-for-mail@ahjg.co.uk>
>> *Date:* Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:44:56 +0100
>>
>> Can one have a SIP incoming call ring in multiple places and over
>> multiple
>> ATAs and softphones such that the first one to pick-up will seize
>> the call?

> Yes. My Sipgate rings my cellphone sip client, my home phone and, if connected, my
> office Sip phone.

Many thanks. I had only tried that with VOIPCheap and it had not worked. But
just I tried it on sipgate and indeed both my ATA and my softphone rang
simultaneously. That's fantastic to a novice like me. Is there any limit on
the number of user agents or devices that can be connected and ring? (Thanks
to David for correcting my error between what is a client and a server.)

Was my problem with VOIPCheap a matter of setting that I could overcome or is
this a difference in capabilities between VOIPCheap/Betamax and sipgate?

> The answerphone at home kicks in after 45 seconds.

Is that because of a setting of an answerphone on the ringing home phone line
or is there a sipgate feature that can forward unanswered calls to a
different account or device or phone number?

Anthony R. Gold 06-26-2011 08:47 PM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:06:51 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
<nospamclayton@btinternet.com> wrote:

> "David Woolley" <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote in message
>> Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>>> Can one have a SIP incoming call ring in multiple places and over
>>> multiple
>>> ATAs and softphones such that the first one to pick-up will seize the
>>> call?

>> Yes, that is a standard part of SIP, and implementable at the proxy level;
>> it is called branching. It may not be a service operated by public PSTN
>> gateways, though.

> Voipfone claim to be working on it, but not sorted yet AFAIK.

Does anyone know about VOIPCheap, with whom I was having that problem? After
Paul mentioned his experience I was then successful with sipgate.

New question: is there any limit to the number of SIP devices or softphones
that may be connected to one home LAN? Is it useful for different ones be set
to different UDP port numbers? And if so, what is the range of port numbers
that are generally accepted?

Gordon Henderson 06-27-2011 06:27 AM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

In article <6c6f07p6g03574vltab2u6kisg6rs2i2q8@4ax.com>,
Anthony R. Gold <tgold@panix.com> wrote:

>New question: is there any limit to the number of SIP devices or softphones
>that may be connected to one home LAN? Is it useful for different ones be set
>to different UDP port numbers? And if so, what is the range of port numbers
>that are generally accepted?

Within reason, no... However who knows what a reasonable limit is.

Factors that will affect it include the size of the ARP table in your
router and the MAC to port addressing tables in your Ethernet switches.
Also your routers ability to manage NAT sessions too. (And routers with
broken SIP ALGs that are really only expecting one SIP device)

Then there's the DHCP server and your LAN subnet - once you get over
254 devices on one LAN you need a bigger subnet.

Your router doing NAT should give each device it's own outgoing port
number - which is one way NAT uses to map incoming connections to
a device, so you really shouldn't have to fiddle with SIP phones at
that level. (And if you don't have NAT, then there's even less issues)

So basically it's your router and to a lesser extent Ethernet switches
that's going to be the limiting factor.

Gordon

Roger Burton West 06-27-2011 11:21 AM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

>New question: is there any limit to the number of SIP devices or softphones
>that may be connected to one home LAN? Is it useful for different ones be set
>to different UDP port numbers? And if so, what is the range of port numbers
>that are generally accepted?

If you are operating a home LAN anyway, you may well find it more
convenient to set up an Asterisk server to be the gateway between your
SIP devices and the external SIP provider. That way you can arrange
multi-rings and so on purely on your own terms.

Roger

Anthony R. Gold 07-04-2011 07:33 AM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:44:56 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<not-for-mail@ahjg.co.uk> wrote:

> Can one have a SIP incoming call ring in multiple places and over multiple
> ATAs and softphones such that the first one to pick-up will seize the call?
> My present configurations have each client registering with the server and so
> causing a pre-existing registration to be closed and ended.

What equipment is suitable for receiving incoming calls from multiple service
providers? My Linksys ATA, the SPA3102, appears capable of sending calls out
through 4 different SIP service providers as <gw1> through <gw4> but it
appears able only to register with one SIP proxy for incoming calls. Is that
correct?

I found a softphone (SJphone from SJ Labs) that is able to sit waiting for
incoming calls from multiple service providers but I am unsure what ATA or
SIP Phones have that same capability, and I am even unsure what key words I
should be looking for in descriptions or specifications to find that ability.
Thanks for any advice.

Roger Burton West 07-04-2011 10:00 AM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

>What equipment is suitable for receiving incoming calls from multiple service
>providers?

<broken record>

Don't use an appliance, use a proper computer as your proxy. Asterisk
and its open-source competition can all trivially do what's needed, and
forward calls to your actual SIP devices.

Anthony R. Gold 07-04-2011 10:21 AM

Re: Multiple SIP Clients?

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:00:54 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
<roger+utv201107@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:

> Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>
>> What equipment is suitable for receiving incoming calls from multiple service
>> providers?

> Don't use an appliance, use a proper computer as your proxy. Asterisk
> and its open-source competition can all trivially do what's needed, and
> forward calls to your actual SIP devices.

I believe would be neither suitable nor safe. I travel a great deal and, even
if I was willing to learn enough to install and configure such I system, I
could never allow all of my incoming phone calls to depend on the good
behaviour of a PC and its Internet access when those are installed many
thousands of miles away. I might consider using a hosted service, but I hope
that will not be necessary for my very simple needs. An appliance will be
just fine thanks.