Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird auto-deleting messages (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t750075-thunderbird-auto-deleting-messages.html)

nospam 06-17-2011 01:39 PM

Thunderbird auto-deleting messages

Thunderbird has an option for auto-deletion of messages that are more
than xx days old etc. It also has an option to "synchronise for the
last xx days" - which I think means it won't download messages older
than 60 days.

I want thunderbird to download new emails from a gmail account when
they arrive and store them locally but after say, 60 days, I want the
local copy deleted but not the remote copy. Is there any way to
configure this?

Right now I have "delete after xx days" turned off because I think the
email will be deleted on gmail as well as locally. In gmail, I have
IMAP enabled for the account and auto-expunge enabled but I don't know
what that does?

Any ideas?

nospam 06-17-2011 11:08 PM

Re: Thunderbird auto-deleting messages

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 01:39:40 +1200, nospam <nospam@nospam.nospam>
wrote:

>Thunderbird has an option for auto-deletion of messages that are more
>than xx days old etc. It also has an option to "synchronise for the
>last xx days" - which I think means it won't download messages older
>than 60 days.
>
>I want thunderbird to download new emails from a gmail account when
>they arrive and store them locally but after say, 60 days, I want the
>local copy deleted but not the remote copy. Is there any way to
>configure this?
>
>Right now I have "delete after xx days" turned off because I think the
>email will be deleted on gmail as well as locally. In gmail, I have
>IMAP enabled for the account and auto-expunge enabled but I don't know
>what that does?
>
>Any ideas?

Found the answer on gmail website under IMAP help - in thunderbird,
you set "when I delete a message" to "just mark it as deleted", and a
few other things.