Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Satellite Broadband (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t749531-satellite-broadband.html)

Frank Williams 06-07-2011 05:05 AM

Satellite Broadband
 




Costs far less than Fiber..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

Peter Huebner 06-07-2011 09:19 AM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
In article <isklib$i33$2@news.datemas.de>, embtwo@gmail.com says...
>
> On 7/06/2011 7:07 p.m., Mutley wrote:
> > Frank Williams<FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Costs far less than Fiber..
> >>
> >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

> >
> > Until the sat gets knocked out.

>
> And the latency is really good fun!


Indeed, been there, done that, for a number of years. Latency on the phone up
satellite down type of connection is fairly awful at times. Not to mention that
it ties up your phone line.
And if you want to look at satellite up&down connections I suggest: look at
some of the offerings currently available in nz, look the data caps and the
price of the subscription and ~shudder~, for instance farmside's 1gb data
monthly for $89+GST. Iconz was all but cheap last time I looked at their plans.

In fact, that's something that ****es me off about Farmside, they're the one
isp in the country who quotes gst exclusive prices for everything, trying to
make themselves look cheaper than they are - that alone stopped me from
seriously looking at them as a potential isp recently ...

Then there are satellite isp like bordernet that force you to put all traffic
through their terrestrial proxy and limit ports and protocols to the point
where half your **** doesn't even work. I ended up being their customer by way
of ihug's satellite service being sold from ihug to iinet to bordernet. I got
the heck away from them as soon as I could. Seriously disgruntled ex-customer
here.

Satellite is still considerably more expensive than broadband, be it fibre or
be it copper. And it's less reliable, and much more laggy. The data allowances
are anorexic compared to all other forms of high speed internet. Just NOT
competitive at this point in time.

-P.

victor 06-08-2011 05:35 AM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Costs far less than Fiber..
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723


Yet the last paragraph of the articles says

"No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
speed and price"


Frank Williams 06-08-2011 07:57 AM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor <users@example.net> wrote:

>On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Costs far less than Fiber..
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

>
>Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
>
>"No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
>speed and price"




Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
world.


So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?


Donchano 06-08-2011 09:16 AM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 19:57:58 +1200, Frank Williams
<FWilliams@happy.com.ru> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor <users@example.net> wrote:
>
>>On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
>>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

>>
>>Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
>>
>>"No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
>>speed and price"

>
>
>
>Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
>world.
>
>
>So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?


If anyone but Woger - and his multitude of sockpuppets - can figure
out what he's written is supposed to mean, please send your answers to
Project Enigma.

In the meantime, would Woger please take his Whop Whops medication as
prescribed.


victor 06-08-2011 10:10 AM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<users@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
>>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

>>
>> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
>>
>> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
>> speed and price"

>
>
>
> Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
> world.
>


That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
Most of the world has ADSL

>
> So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?
>


A satellite over Europe is going to be **** all use to him.
Rural properties in Wairarapa use a wireless ISP
http://www.wizbiz.co.nz/


Lawrence D'Oliveiro 06-08-2011 10:16 AM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
In message <isnhsi$d7n$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:

> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.


I’ve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.

Ralph Fox 06-08-2011 06:58 PM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, in message <isnhsi$d7n$1@speranza.aioe.org>
victor wrote:

> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.


Explain how the first web browsers are over 18 years old
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28web_browser%29

Explain how nz.comp has posts over 18 years old:
http://groups.google.com/group/nz.co...art=56910&sa=N


--
Kind regards
Ralph

Peter Huebner 06-08-2011 09:24 PM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
In article <jugvu69ol7oirmbklk9fg3rqanoj0muh10@4ax.com>, -rf-nz-@-.invalid
says...
>
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, in message <isnhsi$d7n$1@speranza.aioe.org>
> victor wrote:
>
> > That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

>
> Explain how the first web browsers are over 18 years old
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28web_browser%29
>
> Explain how nz.comp has posts over 18 years old:
> http://groups.google.com/group/nz.co...art=56910&sa=N


:-D

My earliest usenet post that shows up in google groups dates Sept 1991,
in comp.sys.amiga.hardware. Almost 20 years ... don't think I started
lurking in nz.comp until quite a few years later.

I remember only too well how Mosaic came out and I was thinking to myself
what a load of rubbish that idea was - downloading 100kb pictures while on a
toll call with a 2400baud modem ... the cost would've been prohibitive.

As it were, I just chucked out a whole lot of old financial paperwork last week
and found a 1992 account from Iconz for my shell account that I had with them
for a little while (and cancelled because it, too, was way too expensive to
maintain for me with the price of tolls at that time and my income being halved
by Rogernomics -- uucp was a much more cost effective way of doing things).

-P.

victor 06-09-2011 12:46 AM

Re: Satellite Broadband
 
On 8/06/2011 10:16 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<isnhsi$d7n$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:
>
>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

>
> I’ve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.


Good for you.
So is New Zealand 15 years behind the rest of the world


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.