Velocity Reviews

-   -   How does this work? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t749467-how-does-this-work.html)

06-04-2011 01:51 AM

How does this work?

I was surfing around looking for a way to split a list into equal sections. I came
upon this algorithm:

>>> f = lambda x, n, acc=[]: f(x[n:], n, acc+[(x[:n])]) if x else acc
>>> f("Hallo Welt", 3)

['Hal', 'lo ', 'Wel', 't']

(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...-python/312644)

It doesn't work with a huge list, but looks like it could be handy in certain
circumstances. I'm trying to understand this code, but am totally lost. I
know a little bit about lambda, as well as the ternary operator, but how
does this part work:

>>> f('dude'[3:], 3, []+[('dude'[:3])])

['dud', 'e']

Is that some sort of function call, or something else? I'm guessing it works
recursively?

Just curious if anyone could explain how this works or maybe share a link
to a website that might explain this?

Thanks.

Jay

Jon Clements 06-05-2011 06:32 AM

Re: How does this work?

On Jun 5, 4:37*am, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> <jyoun...@kc.rr.com> writes:
> > I was surfing around looking for a way to split a list into equal
> > sections. I came upon this algorithm:

> > ['Hal', 'lo ', 'Wel', 't']

> > (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...lit-a-list-int....)

> This is an excellent example of why “clever” code is to be shunned.
> Whoever wrote this needs to spend more time trying to get their code
> past a peer review; the above would be rejected until it was re-written
> to be clear.
>
> Here is my attempt to write the above to be clear (and fixing a couple
> of bugs too):
>
> * * def split_slices(seq, slicesize, accumulator=None):
> * * * * """ Return a list of slices from `seq` each of size `slicesize`.
>
> * * * * * * :param seq: The sequence to split.
> * * * * * * :param slicesize: The maximum size of each slice.
> * * * * * * :param accumulator: A sequence of existing slicesto which
> * * * * * * * * ours should be appended.
> * * * * * * :return: A list of the slices. Each item will be a slice
> * * * * * * * * from the original `seq` of `slicesize` length; the last
> * * * * * * * * item may be shorter if there were fewer than `slicesize`
> * * * * * * * * items remaining.
>
> * * * * * * """
> * * * * if accumulator is None:
> * * * * * * accumulator = []
> * * * * if seq:
> * * * * * * slice = seq[:slicesize]
> * * * * * * result = split_slices(
> * * * * * * * * seq[slicesize:], slicesize, accumulator +[slice])
> * * * * else:
> * * * * * * result = accumulator
> * * * * return result
>
> > It doesn't work with a huge list, but looks like it could be handy in
> > certain circumstances. I'm trying to understand this code, but am
> > totally lost. I know a little bit about lambda, as well as the ternary
> > operator

> In Python, ‘lambda’ is merely an alternative syntax for creating
> function objects. The resulting object *is* a function, so I've written
> the above using the ‘def’ syntax for clarity.
>
> The ternary operator is often useful for very simple expressions, but
> quickly becomes too costly to read when the expression is complex. The
> above is one where the writer is so much in love with the ternary
> operator that they have crammed far too much complexity into a single
> expression.
>
> > Just curious if anyone could explain how this works or maybe share a link
> > to a website that might explain this?

> Does the above help?
>
> --
> *\ * * * “We must find our way to a time when faith, without evidence, |
> * `\ * *disgraces anyone who would claim it.” —Sam Harris, _TheEnd of |
> Ben Finney

Just my 2p, but isn't the itertools "grouper" recipe prudent?