Velocity Reviews

-   -   Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t749264-who-makes-19-lcd-tvs-with-freeview.html)

PeeCee 06-01-2011 01:00 AM

Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
Analog tuners.

With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
one with a Freeview tuner.
Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
clutter, not add to it.

I do have a size restriction of 450mm width that excludes TV's over 19"
I've trawled through HN, NL, B&B, DSE et al without success.
22" and bigger yes! (pricey though) but no 19"

HN have a 19" TV on special at the moment for $199 (was $248 in
saturday's paper) that would be ideal but it's got Analog tuners.
After asking if it was available with Freeview tuners the sales droid's
response was 'take it or leave it'

(I noted the huge pile of them they had and the price drop from
Saturday, methinks the're going to find they are not good sellers)

Does anyone know of a 19" or smaller LCD TV with Freeview tuners and VGA
input available in NZ?

Paul.

Possible 06-01-2011 02:15 AM

Re: Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 13:00:43 +1200, PeeCee <abuse@local.host> wrote:

>For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
>PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
>screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
>Analog tuners.
>
>With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
>one with a Freeview tuner.
>Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
>clutter, not add to it.
>
>I do have a size restriction of 450mm width that excludes TV's over 19"
>I've trawled through HN, NL, B&B, DSE et al without success.
>22" and bigger yes! (pricey though) but no 19"
>
>HN have a 19" TV on special at the moment for $199 (was $248 in
>saturday's paper) that would be ideal but it's got Analog tuners.
>After asking if it was available with Freeview tuners the sales droid's
>response was 'take it or leave it'

\

Yes that is a utter Crap brand the Agent closed down here..

>(I noted the huge pile of them they had and the price drop from
>Saturday, methinks the're going to find they are not good sellers)
>
>Does anyone know of a 19" or smaller LCD TV with Freeview tuners and VGA
>input available in NZ?
>
>Paul.

There are some on Trademe, Plus The Warehouse list a Model with Digital
tuner.

Plus a Teac model.

Squiggle 06-01-2011 06:26 AM

Re: Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
> PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
> screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
> Analog tuners.
>
> With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
> one with a Freeview tuner.
> Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
> clutter, not add to it.

Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?

If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
and have the benefit of being able to record also.

Donchano 06-01-2011 06:55 AM

Re: Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:26:41 +1200, Squiggle <squiggle@in.the.sand>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
>> PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
>> screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
>> Analog tuners.
>>
>> With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
>> one with a Freeview tuner.
>> Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
>> clutter, not add to it.
>>

>Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
>
>If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
>and have the benefit of being able to record also.

I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
a good brand/model to look for? TIA

Squiggle 06-01-2011 07:08 AM

Re: Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

On 1/06/2011 6:55 p.m., Donchano threw some characters down the intarwebs:

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:26:41 +1200, Squiggle <squiggle@in.the.sand>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

>> Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
>>
>> If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
>> and have the benefit of being able to record also.

> I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
> capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
> a good brand/model to look for? TIA

Sorry, haven't tried to go down that route yet myself. Hopefully others
in here will be able to recommend something.

Possible 06-01-2011 07:15 AM

wrote:

>On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
>> PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
>> screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
>> Analog tuners.
>>
>> With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
>> one with a Freeview tuner.
>> Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
>> clutter, not add to it.
>>

>Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
>
>If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
>and have the benefit of being able to record also.

Only if you have a descent Graphics card or a fast Dual CPU..

Possible 06-01-2011 07:17 AM

Re: Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:55:22 +1200, Donchano
<donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:26:41 +1200, Squiggle <squiggle@in.the.sand>
>shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>>> For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
>>> PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
>>> screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
>>> Analog tuners.
>>>
>>> With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
>>> one with a Freeview tuner.
>>> Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
>>> clutter, not add to it.
>>>

>>Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
>>
>>If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
>>and have the benefit of being able to record also.

>I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
>capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
>a good brand/model to look for? TIA

Yes but No Freeview compliant Guide.

Richard 06-02-2011 04:53 AM

On 1/06/2011 7:17 p.m., Possible wrote:

> Yes but No Freeview compliant Guide.

That guide is slow laggy crap so no loss.

There are ways to scrape the MHEG guide into media center if you can be
bothered.

Richard 06-02-2011 04:56 AM

Re: Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

On 1/06/2011 6:55 p.m., Donchano wrote:
\>>
>> If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
>> and have the benefit of being able to record also.

> I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
> capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
> a good brand/model to look for? TIA

Anything with BDA drivers will work with media center. Some of the cheap
ones dont have a good frontend so need lots of signal, but if you have a
rooftop antenna that can deliver a watchable prime etc picture then it
is plenty.

I got some for $8 off ebay a while back. Work great, but add another $2
for the PAL to MMCX adapter leads so you can plug a proper antenna in if
you are inside and using it.

Donchano 06-02-2011 05:10 AM

Re: Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:56:50 +1200, Richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 1/06/2011 6:55 p.m., Donchano wrote:
>\>>
>>> If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
>>> and have the benefit of being able to record also.

>> I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
>> capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
>> a good brand/model to look for? TIA
>>

>Anything with BDA drivers will work with media center. Some of the cheap
>ones dont have a good frontend so need lots of signal, but if you have a
>rooftop antenna that can deliver a watchable prime etc picture then it
>is plenty.
>
>I got some for $8 off ebay a while back. Work great, but add another $2
>for the PAL to MMCX adapter leads so you can plug a proper antenna in if
>you are inside and using it.

Thanks. We live in a rural area with poor antennae reception. But
we're hooked up to SKY HD via a dish. That's why the following USB Sat
Receiver kit appealed to me:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=379744525