Velocity Reviews

-   -   Apple vs Android (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t749115-apple-vs-android.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-28-2011 01:18 PM

Apple vs Android

There’s a statistic I read somewhere which says that Apple makes more profit
in the smartphone market than all the other handset vendors put together.
This even though its share of the market is well short of 50%.

This may very well be true, for now. But it’s clearly not a sustainable
situation. Apple is being outflanked by Android products from all sides:
from above and below its price points, from a range of form factors that it
has publicly declared it will not consider (like 5" and 7" tablets), and
from completely unlikely categories of devices it has not even thought of:
you can get Android e-book readers, Android TVs, Android game consoles, even
an Android washing machine.

Apple was king of the smartphones for about two years; it will probably
remain king of the tablets for one year.

The next groundbreaking ultramobile device after that will quite likely not
come from Apple.

victor 05-28-2011 10:47 PM

Re: Apple vs Android

On 29/05/2011 1:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> There’s a statistic I read somewhere which says that Apple makes more profit
> in the smartphone market than all the other handset vendors put together.
> This even though its share of the market is well short of 50%.
>
> This may very well be true, for now. But it’s clearly not a sustainable
> situation. Apple is being outflanked by Android products from all sides:
> from above and below its price points, from a range of form factors that it
> has publicly declared it will not consider (like 5" and 7" tablets), and
> from completely unlikely categories of devices it has not even thought of:
> you can get Android e-book readers, Android TVs, Android game consoles, even
> an Android washing machine.
>
> Apple was king of the smartphones for about two years; it will probably
> remain king of the tablets for one year.
>
> The next groundbreaking ultramobile device after that will quite likely not
> come from Apple.

That has always been a sustainable market situation for Apple, to create
the best user experience and be known for it.
Other people came up with laptops and mp3 players and phones.
They don't have to break new ground, but they have an advantage in their
control of the human interface hardware and software.
Where Googles advantage will become apparent will probably be in voice
control and voice search and translation, and Google Goggles,
streetview, real time traffic routing, that sort of thing. Android is
not about linux, its about Google.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-28-2011 11:54 PM

Re: Apple vs Android

In message <irru40$hl1$1@dont-email.me>, victor wrote:

> That has always been a sustainable market situation for Apple, to create
> the best user experience and be known for it.

Only partially true. For example, the i-devices have an atrocious system for
handling notifications; Android does it much smoother. And don’t forget the
multitasking.

> Other people came up with laptops and mp3 players and phones.
> They don't have to break new ground, but they have an advantage in their
> control of the human interface hardware and software.

Only partially true, as I said.

> Where Googles advantage will become apparent will probably be in voice
> control and voice search and translation, and Google Goggles,
> streetview, real time traffic routing, that sort of thing. Android is
> not about linux, its about Google.

Where do you think Google makes its money from, with Android?

victor 05-29-2011 01:46 AM

Re: Apple vs Android

On 29/05/2011 11:54 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<irru40$hl1$1@dont-email.me>, victor wrote:
>
>> That has always been a sustainable market situation for Apple, to create
>> the best user experience and be known for it.

> Only partially true. For example, the i-devices have an atrocious system for
> handling notifications; Android does it much smoother. And don’t forget the
> multitasking.
>
>> Other people came up with laptops and mp3 players and phones.
>> They don't have to break new ground, but they have an advantage in their
>> control of the human interface hardware and software.

> Only partially true, as I said.
>
>> Where Googles advantage will become apparent will probably be in voice
>> control and voice search and translation, and Google Goggles,
>> streetview, real time traffic routing, that sort of thing. Android is
>> not about linux, its about Google.

> Where do you think Google makes its money from, with Android?

Search ads, more clicks. give away an OS that accelerates the progress
of location based search.

I highly recommend you read "In the Plex" by Steven Levy
I'm a big Google and Android fan, but I don't see any reason to bag
Apple, they're a great pacemaker for Android.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-29-2011 02:18 AM

Re: Apple vs Android

In message <irs8ju$mmj$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:

> I'm a big Google and Android fan, but I don't see any reason to bag
> Apple, they're a great pacemaker for Android.

I’m not bagging Apple, just pointing out facts.

They were able to move in and dominate the MP3 player market, in spite of
not being the first, because the only existing players were using limited,
proprietary systems.

They were able to move in and dominate smartphones, for the same reason.

They were able to move in and dominate tablets, because the only competition
was running Windows, which is hopeless on a tablet.

But now Android is here, and spreading everywhere like wildfire. So when
somebody else invents a new device category, Apple will not be the 2nd or
3rd entrant into the market, it will more likely be the 10th.

victor 05-29-2011 02:40 AM

Re: Apple vs Android

> In message<irs8ju$mmj$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:

> But now Android is here, and spreading everywhere like wildfire. So when
> somebody else invents a new device category, Apple will not be the 2nd or
> 3rd entrant into the market, it will more likely be the 10th.

But as their track record demonstrates, they will still do a great job
if and when they do enter the market.
I don't see your point.

victor 05-29-2011 02:56 AM

Re: Apple vs Android

On 29/05/2011 1:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> There’s a statistic I read somewhere which says that Apple makes more profit
> in the smartphone market than all the other handset vendors put together.
> This even though its share of the market is well short of 50%.
>
> This may very well be true, for now. But it’s clearly not a sustainable
> situation. Apple is being outflanked by Android products from all sides:
> from above and below its price points, from a range of form factors that it
> has publicly declared it will not consider (like 5" and 7" tablets), and
> from completely unlikely categories of devices it has not even thought of:
> you can get Android e-book readers, Android TVs, Android game consoles, even
> an Android washing machine.
>
> Apple was king of the smartphones for about two years; it will probably
> remain king of the tablets for one year.
>
> The next groundbreaking ultramobile device after that will quite likely not
> come from Apple.

The next groundbreaking development is already enabled in Android and
not yet available on iOS.
Any idea ?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-29-2011 03:33 AM

Re: Apple vs Android

In message <irsbo4$shh$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:

> On 29/05/2011 2:18 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<irs8ju$mmj$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:
>>
>> But now Android is here, and spreading everywhere like wildfire. So when
>> somebody else invents a new device category, Apple will not be the 2nd or
>> 3rd entrant into the market, it will more likely be the 10th.

> But as their track record demonstrates, they will still do a great job
> if and when they do enter the market.
> I don't see your point.

They are no longer able to do a better job than the competition, as I
pointed out.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-29-2011 03:50 AM

Re: Apple vs Android

In message <irscm2$toe$2@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:

> The next groundbreaking development is already enabled in Android and
> not yet available on iOS.
> Any idea ?

Look at history to get some clues.

Look at the netbook, for example: as a new product category, it came as a
complete surprise to both Intel and Microsoft. It was like a breath of fresh
air, until between the two of them they managed to bring restrictions to
bear to stop the category becoming too innovative, until eventually it
stagnated and is now in decline.

With the ARM-based devices, nobody is in a position to do this. There is no
Intel ordering “you can’t use this chip in that form factor or with that
configuration”; no Microsoft decreeing “you can’t make that enhancement to
our software”; it is very much a free-for-all. Google does not “control”
Android; the only thing it really controls is the Android Market, and even
that is very much an optional part of the Android experience—the competition
is seeing to that.

Gordon 05-29-2011 04:11 AM

Re: Apple vs Android

On 2011-05-28, victor <user@example.net> wrote:
> On 29/05/2011 1:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> There?s a statistic I read somewhere which says that Apple makes more profit
>> in the smartphone market than all the other handset vendors put together.
>> This even though its share of the market is well short of 50%.
>>
>> This may very well be true, for now. But it?s clearly not a sustainable
>> situation. Apple is being outflanked by Android products from all sides:
>> from above and below its price points, from a range of form factors that it
>> has publicly declared it will not consider (like 5" and 7" tablets), and
>> from completely unlikely categories of devices it has not even thought of:
>> you can get Android e-book readers, Android TVs, Android game consoles, even
>> an Android washing machine.
>>
>> Apple was king of the smartphones for about two years; it will probably
>> remain king of the tablets for one year.
>>
>> The next groundbreaking ultramobile device after that will quite likely not
>> come from Apple.

> That has always been a sustainable market situation for Apple, to create
> the best user experience and be known for it.

Let us not forget about Marketing. Propoganda in feel good clothing.