Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t748384-re-possible-to-extract-high-resolution-b-w-from-a-raw-file.html)

Wolfgang Weisselberg 05-16-2011 04:04 PM

Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric Stevens writes:

>> They were fueled by the customer base, in this case the OEMs who were
>> Microsoft's customers.

> I recall Microsoft competitors being the prime movers in a majority of legal
> actions. OEMs are not the end users. The end users never cared.

It's a bit hard for the end user to argue that they'd get stiffed
for $150 or $250 on the license and untold damage because of
viruses and crashes because MS is and was a monopoly which used
said monopoly power to crush the competition, which otherwise
would have produced better, safer, cheaper technology.

It's much easier for the OEM --- who's a MS customer --- to
argue that MS is using unfair business practices (as proven
by this and that paperwork) against them, hindering them
selling other, possibly better, products.

>> Apple are free to bring their own fully functioning computer to market
>> in whatever way they want. Those who dealt with Microsoft were not.

> Nobody is free to bring any Mac to market except Apple. Anyone can market PCs
> that run Windows.

Noone can market a Microsoft-computer but Microsoft.
Noone can market a Nokia-phone but Nokia.
Noone can market a Apple-computer but Apple.
Noone can market a foo-thingy but foo.

Notice a trend?

Now, IBM allowed others to build *compatible* PCs.
(That's not Microsoft! That's IBM!)

MS doesn't allow anyone to build a *compatible* OS.[1]
MS doesn't allow anyone to build a *compatible* program to
their programs.[1]
Apple doesn't allow anyone to build a *compatible* PC.
Apple uses a partially open source system.

So the only difference is IBM (not MS!), and that Apple isn't
all closed source.

-Wolfgang

[1] At least they're trying very hard where they cannot
prevent it legally --- using all legal technical and some
illegal technical methods.

PeterN 05-17-2011 01:09 PM

On 5/16/2011 12:04 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> Mxsmanic<mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Eric Stevens writes:

>>> They were fueled by the customer base, in this case the OEMs who were
>>> Microsoft's customers.

>> I recall Microsoft competitors being the prime movers in a majority of legal
>> actions. OEMs are not the end users. The end users never cared.

> It's a bit hard for the end user to argue that they'd get stiffed
> for $150 or $250 on the license and untold damage because of
> viruses and crashes because MS is and was a monopoly which used
> said monopoly power to crush the competition, which otherwise
> would have produced better, safer, cheaper technology.

Malicious code is written by people with sick minds and/or MS haters. It
would not surprise me if some malicious code was written by the
anti-virus software vendors. They target MS because it is used
extensively in business and is run on more computers than all others put
together.
If you want to be fair how come you don't mention the viruses that have
targeted Linux and OSx.

--
Peter

PeterN 05-17-2011 03:29 PM

On 5/17/2011 11:12 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> PeterN<peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> Malicious code is written by people with sick minds and/or MS haters. It
>> would not surprise me if some malicious code was written by the
>> anti-virus software vendors. They target MS because it is used
>> extensively in business and is run on more computers than all others put
>> together.

> They target Windows because it has so many security holes.
>
>> If you want to be fair how come you don't mention the viruses that have
>> targeted Linux and OSx.

> I don't know about OSx, but there has never been a
> successful virus that targets Linux. The ones that
> claim to be are not successful, simply because they
> cannot replicate and spread on their own. The only way
> to get "infected" is to purposely install it.
>
> That's the same as claiming the command "sudo rm -rf /" is
> a virus. It's not, it's just a possible stupidity.

I don't usually like to use the WICKI, but read for yourself.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware>

--
Peter

PeterN 05-17-2011 04:18 PM

On 5/17/2011 12:13 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> PeterN<peter.new@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>>> They target Windows because it has so many security holes.

>>> I don't know about OSx, but there has never been a
>>> successful virus that targets Linux. The ones that
>>> claim to be are not successful, simply because they
>>> cannot replicate and spread on their own. The only way
>>> to get "infected" is to purposely install it.
>>>
>>> That's the same as claiming the command "sudo rm -rf /" is
>>> a virus. It's not, it's just a possible stupidity.
>>>

>> I don't usually like to use the WICKI, but read for yourself.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware>

> Did you read it?
>
> "There has not yet been a widespread Linux malware
> threat of the type that Microsoft Windows software
> faces"
>
> Not just viruses, but *any* type of malware. The reason
> for that is exactly as I stated above: there is no way
> to generate a self replicating virus for Linux. It
> cannot spread automatically, and has to be purposely
> installed. That is to say that a "rootkit" can be used
> to attack one individual host, but that's all that it
> attacks is just that one host. There is no way to let
> it loose and have it attack a even a dozen hosts, much
> less a million or more.
>
> A simple example is that typically an "unprotected" Windows
> machine using out of the box software only will be infected
> within minutes of being connected to the Internet. Over a
> period of a month or so...
>
> On the other hand, a Linux machine can be connected to the
> Internet for *years* with no concern whatever about a virus.

And that excuses the sick virus writers?

--
Peter

J. Clarke 05-17-2011 07:27 PM

Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

In article <170520111303546385%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
nospam@nospam.invalid says...

> In article <jq85t698m3qcvgtmi1skkdoj8h9a8kqqiq@4ax.com>, Mxsmanic
> <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > They target Windows because it has so many security holes.

> > Windows doesn't have many security holes.

> oh yes it does, especially xp and earlier.
>
> > They target Windows because just
> > about everyone is running it. You don't spend time and money developing
> > attacks for systems that represent 0.9% of the market.

> they target systems that are easy to crack because it's a big return on
> investment. malware is all about money now. it's not the bored hacker
> who wants to play a prank.

How does one make money with malware?

nospam 05-17-2011 08:03 PM

Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

In article <8739kd744i.fld@apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
<floyd@apaflo.com> wrote:

> >If you want to be fair how come you don't mention the viruses that have
> >targeted Linux and OSx.

> I don't know about OSx, but there has never been a
> successful virus that targets Linux. The ones that
> claim to be are not successful, simply because they
> cannot replicate and spread on their own. The only way
> to get "infected" is to purposely install it.

same for os x. the exploits are against the user, not the os, tricking
them into installing something, generally porn or pirated software,
which then asks for the admin password that they freely provide and
game over.

they don't rely on anything in the os, such as cracking root, to infect
the machine.

nospam 05-17-2011 08:03 PM

PeterN 05-17-2011 08:40 PM

On 5/17/2011 3:23 PM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 12:18:18 -0400, PeterN wrote:
>

>>> "There has not yet been a widespread Linux malware threat of the type
>>> that Microsoft Windows software faces"
>>>
>>> Not just viruses, but *any* type of malware. The reason for that is
>>> exactly as I stated above: there is no way to generate a self
>>> replicating virus for Linux. It cannot spread automatically, and has
>>> to be purposely installed. That is to say that a "rootkit" can be used
>>> to attack one individual host, but that's all that it attacks is just
>>> that one host. There is no way to let it loose and have it attack a
>>> even a dozen hosts, much less a million or more.
>>>
>>> A simple example is that typically an "unprotected" Windows machine
>>> using out of the box software only will be infected within minutes of
>>> being connected to the Internet. Over a period of a month or so...
>>>
>>> On the other hand, a Linux machine can be connected to the Internet for
>>> *years* with no concern whatever about a virus.
>>>

>> And that excuses the sick virus writers?

> You are the one saying that, not us.

Please follow the thread. I made the first comment about sick virus
writers who target MS. The response was that OSx and Linux are immune.
Clearly a diversionary statement clearly designed to change the topic.

--
Peter

PeterN 05-17-2011 09:07 PM

On 5/17/2011 3:21 PM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 11:29:07 -0400, PeterN wrote:

>>> They target Windows because it has so many security holes.

>>> I don't know about OSx, but there has never been a successful virus
>>> that targets Linux. The ones that claim to be are not successful,
>>> simply because they cannot replicate and spread on their own. The only
>>> way to get "infected" is to purposely install it.
>>>
>>> That's the same as claiming the command "sudo rm -rf /" is a virus.
>>> It's not, it's just a possible stupidity.
>>>

>> I don't usually like to use the WICKI, but read for yourself.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware>

> Firstly Wicki can be written by anyone and so is not reliable.

Absolutely true. Which is exactly why I prefaced my remark as I did.

> Secondly I
> have been using various linux distros for something like 8 years or so
> (starting with Mandrake) and have never seen a virus on any of the distros
> I have used. I do use a firewall and do NOT allow any other computer
> access to mine. I do have windows on my laptop alongside Fedora 14 for
> when I visit my daughter.
>
> The only virus that I have personally heard of for linux was just an
> experimental one that was not successful in the wild.

I have been using Linux for longer than that. It is possible to write a
virus, though for many years nobody released one in the wild. I have met
virus writers. While I cannot disclose personal information, their
motives ranged from they do it because they can, they have mental
issues, including a virulent hatred of MS and a compulsion to disrupt
business.

--
Peter

nospam 05-17-2011 11:00 PM

Re: Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

In article <MPG.283c963bae6b13d6989f22@hamster.jcbsbsdomain.l ocal>, J.
Clarke <jclarkeusenet@cox.net> wrote:

> > > They target Windows because just
> > > about everyone is running it. You don't spend time and money developing
> > > attacks for systems that represent 0.9% of the market.

> > they target systems that are easy to crack because it's a big return on
> > investment. malware is all about money now. it's not the bored hacker
> > who wants to play a prank.

> How does one make money with malware?

obtaining user's banking info, phishing scams, identify theft, botnets
to send spam, etc. there are even malware toolkits that are sold to
make it easy to implement.

<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._botnet_bust_s
hows_malware_is_all_about_money.html>