Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with bold font not being used (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t748327-problem-with-bold-font-not-being-used.html)

Martin 05-15-2011 09:34 PM

Problem with bold font not being used

I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
different web pages:

body
{font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }

table
{font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}

But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

Martin 05-15-2011 10:50 PM

Re: Problem with bold font not being used

On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin <ironwoodcanyon@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
>different web pages:
>
>body
>{font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
>background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
>
>table
>{font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
>
>But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
>only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
>Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

Upon some further investigation, it seems to be a problem only when
viewing the page in Firefox. In IE, the bolding shows up ok.

Is there some setting in FF that I need to adjust to get it to use
linked .css files?

dorayme 05-15-2011 11:21 PM

Re: Problem with bold font not being used

In article <1vl0t6te4u6etboeridu4rugctbf00eol4@4ax.com>,
Martin <ironwoodcanyon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin <ironwoodcanyon@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
> >different web pages:
> >
> >body
> >{font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
> >background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
> >
> >table
> >{font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
> >
> >But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
> >only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
> >Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

> Upon some further investigation, it seems to be a problem only when
> viewing the page in Firefox. In IE, the bolding shows up ok.
>
> Is there some setting in FF that I need to adjust to get it to use
> linked .css files?

You surely can tell if your FF is using a css file at all. If the
file concerned is populated with styles, is there a difference
between the look when you go to View menu/Page Style/ and tick No
Style and look and then compare with Basic Page Style.

Under no circumstances, no matter how beguiling or cunning or
polite or rude or sarcastic or impatient a request by anyone here
for a URL to your page, do not succumb. Never give a URL so that
everyone can see exactly what is going on because the matter is
then in danger of being settled too quickly.

--
dorayme

Martin 05-16-2011 02:08 AM

Re: Problem with bold font not being used

On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:21:51 +1000, dorayme <dorayme@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>Under no circumstances, no matter how beguiling or cunning or
>polite or rude or sarcastic or impatient a request by anyone here
>for a URL to your page, do not succumb. Never give a URL so that
>everyone can see exactly what is going on because the matter is
>then in danger of being settled too quickly.

Does anyone here know of an HTML newsgroup that is populated by ADULTS
that are capable of answering questions without resorting to snide
comments?

Mike S 05-16-2011 03:01 AM

On 5/15/2011 7:08 PM, Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:21:51 +1000, dorayme<dorayme@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Under no circumstances, no matter how beguiling or cunning or
>> polite or rude or sarcastic or impatient a request by anyone here
>> for a URL to your page, do not succumb. Never give a URL so that
>> everyone can see exactly what is going on because the matter is
>> then in danger of being settled too quickly.

> Does anyone here know of an HTML newsgroup that is populated by ADULTS
> that are capable of answering questions without resorting to snide
> comments?

Very effective public relations, you're sure to get tons of help with
that approach.

dorayme 05-16-2011 06:16 AM

Re: Problem with bold font not being used

In article <6k11t6124u5eoceek4mlrmklcarght0gcd@4ax.com>,

Just because a child said:

> You surely can tell if your FF is using a css file at all. If the
> file concerned is populated with styles, is there a difference
> between the look when you go to View menu/Page Style/ and tick No
> Style and look and then compare with Basic Page Style.

Is it a reason to take no notice? What have you got against
children?

Hey, mister, I dunno what I am going to be when I grow up, but
I'm sure to be nice to children - *unless* they are like Peter
Gosling, who has just pinched my jam sandwich and run off to the
other side of the playground where the very little kids like me
are not allowed to go.

--
dorayme

richard 05-16-2011 06:29 AM

On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin wrote:

> I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
> different web pages:
>
> body
> {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
> background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
>
> table
> {font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
>
> But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
> only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
> Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

why not try using:
form {font-weight:bold;}
if you want to be more specific, give only that item a unique class name
and style it through that class name.
Or use inline styling.

richard 05-16-2011 06:33 AM

Re: Problem with bold font not being used

On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin wrote:

> I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
> different web pages:
>
> body
> {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
> background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
>
> table
> {font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
>
> But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
> only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
> Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

btw, dorayme was snickering at the clowns in this group who always insist
that for the simplest of problems, a URL MUST be given or they don't help.
Said clowns then want to tear your work down by the smallest of details.
Even though they will never post a URL of theirs in fear of being ridiculed
by others.

Jukka K. Korpela 05-16-2011 07:04 AM

16.5.2011 7:26, Ed Mullen kirjoitti:

> dorayme's comment was couched in an
> amusing tone (obviously not to you) but the comment was dead on.

It was a useful comment indeed. Never post a URL if you wish to prevent
people from solving your problem. That was dead serious, of course.
(Some wannabe trolls have failed miserably in their trolling when they
did not know that.)

> If you
> want real help provide real-world circumstances. We're not freaking mind
> readers.

To be honest, some of us _are_ mind readers. But they tend to make
better money elsewhere, so they just casually give free help here.

Personally I'm just a novice mind reader, and I can only dimly see that
there is an error on line 42.

But I can clearly see that the OP sets the overall font to bold, which
is a sign of trolling or great ignorance or extremely special hacking. I
give the last alternative an undescribably small probability.

P.S. It takes no mindreading to see that the OP had not used the W3C CSS
Validator to check the syntax of the stylesheet, so he seems to refuse
to get help from computers, too.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Denis McMahon 05-16-2011 08:22 AM

On Sun, 15 May 2011 23:33:46 -0700, richard wrote:

> btw, dorayme was snickering at the clowns in this group who always
> insist that for the simplest of problems, a URL MUST be given ....

No he wasn't. You just didn't get it. Again.

Rgds

Denis McMahon