Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: I Miss my Viewfinder ! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t748287-re-i-miss-my-viewfinder.html)

ray 05-15-2011 12:43 AM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

On Sat, 14 May 2011 10:13:57 -0700, Doug Bashford wrote:

> Well I've put about 1,500 pics thru my new camera, and I still miss my
> viewfinder. A viewfinder was one of my must-have bells, along with AA
> bateries, 10X, and so forth. I got all my bells except the viewfinder.
> (I got the $200 Canon sx120is with three-inch screen and the CHDK
> supercharger freeware hack.)

I don't. Simply because that is the way I take pictures and I won't buy a
camera without a viewfinder.

M-M 05-15-2011 03:47 PM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

In article <938lt5Fqg8U4@mid.individual.net>, ray <ray@zianet.com>
wrote:

> I won't buy a
> camera without a viewfinder.

Agree. And I need an optical viewfinder, not an electronic one.

Try shooting a moving object in continuous mode without an optical VF.
Can't be done unless you get lucky.

There may be some EVF's that don't black out between shots in
continuous, but I'm not sure.

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

ray 05-15-2011 07:34 PM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

On Sun, 15 May 2011 11:47:54 -0400, M-M wrote:

> In article <938lt5Fqg8U4@mid.individual.net>, ray <ray@zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I won't buy a
>> camera without a viewfinder.

> Agree. And I need an optical viewfinder, not an electronic one.
>
> Try shooting a moving object in continuous mode without an optical VF.
> Can't be done unless you get lucky.

If that were indeed something I needed to do, I would try it. Quite happy
with the EVF on my Kodak P850.

Wolfgang Weisselberg 05-16-2011 09:11 AM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Neil Harrington <not@home.net> wrote:

> In most cases I agree with that. But the EVF in my G1 is terrific, and I
> wouldn't trade it for an optical one even if it were possible. But that's a
> 1.4-megapixel EVF -- which makes all the difference.

Mega-subpixel (i.e. red, green and blue counted separately)?
As in "a full-HD monitor (1920x1080) has about 6 mega-subpixel"?

-Wolfgang

ray 05-16-2011 02:26 PM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:11:12 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

> Neil Harrington <not@home.net> wrote:
>
>> In most cases I agree with that. But the EVF in my G1 is terrific, and
>> I wouldn't trade it for an optical one even if it were possible. But
>> that's a 1.4-megapixel EVF -- which makes all the difference.

> Mega-subpixel (i.e. red, green and blue counted separately)? As in "a
> full-HD monitor (1920x1080) has about 6 mega-subpixel"?
>
> -Wolfgang

It has been my experience that about 350k pixels (i.e. about 1 million
sub-pixels) is quite adequate for most users of an EVF. Much less and the
display is so pixellated it's very difficult to do much with it.

Apteryx 05-17-2011 05:43 AM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

On 16/05/2011 4:10 a.m., Neil Harrington wrote:
> "M-M"<nospam.m-m@ny.more> wrote in message
>> In article<938lt5Fqg8U4@mid.individual.net>, ray<ray@zianet.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I won't buy a
>>> camera without a viewfinder.

>> Agree. And I need an optical viewfinder, not an electronic one.

> In most cases I agree with that. But the EVF in my G1 is terrific, and I
> wouldn't trade it for an optical one even if it were possible. But that's a
> 1.4-megapixel EVF -- which makes all the difference.

The EVF in my Fuji X100 is also terrific (and 1.44 mega dots). But I
trade it all the time for the optical viewfinder in the same camera. I
figure I use the EVF about 10% of the time. Even apart from the
situations where its just totally outclassed (moving subjects in
continuous mode - and to some extent just moving subjects in any mode),
its generally better to see every detail in the subject that simple
optics can deliver, unless there is a good reason to use the EVF.

Apteryx

Noons 05-18-2011 06:21 AM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

On May 18, 2:22*pm, "Neil Harrington" <n...@home.net> wrote:

> I'm still basically a Nikon guy; that's what my main system is and where
> most of my money goes. But I'm tremendously impressed with these little
> Panasonic G series machines. The G1 I've had for a while, just got a G2 body
> a couple of days ago. I also bought a good quality (Metabones) Nikon to
> micro 4/3 adapter and am looking forward to playing with that and some older
> manual focus lenses -- that's where the G1/G2's viewfinder magnification
> will come in very handy. (Alas, I've mislaid the adapter before even trying
> it. That's something that happens a lot in my incredibly messy apartment.
> But it will rise to the surface in its own time, as all things do.)

Couldn't agree more. My Oly E-PL1 sees a lot more work nowadays than
any of the Nikon dslrs. And I'm using it with glass from Leica,
Nikkon, Canon, CV, Zeiss, Pentacon, Mamiya, you name it! Absolutely
awesome, with the right adapters. And a LOT of fun!

Apteryx 05-18-2011 06:27 AM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

On 18/05/2011 4:22 p.m., Neil Harrington wrote:
> "Apteryx"<apteryx@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> On 16/05/2011 4:10 a.m., Neil Harrington wrote:
>>> "M-M"<nospam.m-m@ny.more> wrote in message

>>> In most cases I agree with that. But the EVF in my G1 is terrific, and I
>>> wouldn't trade it for an optical one even if it were possible. But that's
>>> 1.4-megapixel EVF -- which makes all the difference.

>> The EVF in my Fuji X100 is also terrific (and 1.44 mega dots). But I trade
>> it all the time for the optical viewfinder in the same camera. I

> I'm not really familiar with the X100. It has an EVF *and* an optical VF?

Yep. Look through the viewfinder initially and it is a simple window
through the camera to look directly at your subject, except with a HUD
displaying shooting info (most of which can be switched off if you don't
want it) and a parallax correction frame. Flick a switch on the front of
the body, and a blind closes in front of the viewfinder and it turns
into an EVF, seeing exactly what the lens sees. Its handy at close range
(you don't have to bother with the parallax correction frame) and in low
light for its gain. Otherwise I prefer the OVF.

If you get bored with those, there is of course still the LCD viewer on
the back.

It's the only camera I know of where the DP Review devoted two pages to
the viewfinder :) - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/page6.asp

Apteryx

Bruce 05-18-2011 08:13 AM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Apteryx <apteryx@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>On 18/05/2011 4:22 p.m., Neil Harrington wrote:
>> I'm not really familiar with the X100. It has an EVF *and* an optical VF?

>Yep. Look through the viewfinder initially and it is a simple window
>through the camera to look directly at your subject, except with a HUD
>displaying shooting info (most of which can be switched off if you don't
>want it) and a parallax correction frame. Flick a switch on the front of
>the body, and a blind closes in front of the viewfinder and it turns
>into an EVF, seeing exactly what the lens sees. Its handy at close range
>(you don't have to bother with the parallax correction frame) and in low
>light for its gain. Otherwise I prefer the OVF.

The EVF is also very useful in low light. In good light, the OVF
gives a very bright image, but obviously in low light the OVF image is
dim. The near-constant brightness of the EVF means that it is almost
obligatory to use it in low light.

>If you get bored with those, there is of course still the LCD viewer on
>the back.
>
>It's the only camera I know of where the DP Review devoted two pages to
>the viewfinder :) - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/page6.asp

It is a sophisticated system that deserves two pages. ;-)

Wolfgang Weisselberg 05-18-2011 02:18 PM

Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:

> The EVF is also very useful in low light. In good light, the OVF
> gives a very bright image, but obviously in low light the OVF image is
> dim. The near-constant brightness of the EVF means that it is almost
> obligatory to use it in low light.

Hmmm. If the brightess is near constant it's too dark in the sun
(your eye needs to adapt) and, much worse, too bright in the dark
(temporarily blinding you). Ideally, the brightness should be
matched to the environmental brightness.

-Wolfgang