Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fonts (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t748084-fonts.html)

Martin Edwards 05-11-2011 07:19 AM

Fonts

I am a near beginner making a template with a separate stylesheet. Is
there a site where I can look up permitted fonts?
--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

Paolo E. 05-11-2011 07:47 AM

Re: Fonts

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

MG 05-11-2011 08:05 AM

Re: Fonts

"Paolo E." <nospam@nospam.it> wrote in message
news:maryp.20461$GZ3.14896@tornado.fastwebnet.it.. .
> Il 11/05/2011 09:19, Martin Edwards ha scritto:
>> I am a near beginner making a template with a separate stylesheet. Is
>> there a site where I can look up permitted fonts?

> http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

Server not found: www.ampsoft.net

MG

MG 05-11-2011 08:13 AM

Re: Fonts

>I am a near beginner making a template with a separate stylesheet. Is
>there a site where I can look up permitted fonts?

The permitted fonts for me are the fonts that I have on my computer.

The next person's permitted fonts are the fonts that he has on his computer.

If you specify a font that I don't have on my computer, Windows will replace
it with another font. Who knows what that will be?

Use something like:
font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
keep it simple!

MG

Brian Cryer 05-11-2011 08:46 AM

Re: Fonts

"MG" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:iqdgfq$hdm$1@dont-email.me...

> "Paolo E." <nospam@nospam.it> wrote in message
> news:maryp.20461$GZ3.14896@tornado.fastwebnet.it.. .
>> Il 11/05/2011 09:19, Martin Edwards ha scritto:
>>> I am a near beginner making a template with a separate stylesheet. Is
>>> there a site where I can look up permitted fonts?

>> http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

> Server not found: www.ampsoft.net

The link works fine from here.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

MG 05-11-2011 09:38 AM

Re: Fonts

"Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost.invalid> wrote in message
> "MG" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Paolo E." <nospam@nospam.it> wrote in message
>> news:maryp.20461$GZ3.14896@tornado.fastwebnet.it.. .
>>>
>>> http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

>> Server not found: www.ampsoft.net

> The link works fine from here.

Still not working from here (everything else is working just fine)

MG

Jukka K. Korpela 05-11-2011 11:11 AM

Re: Fonts

11.5.2011 10:19, Martin Edwards kirjoitti:

> I am a near beginner making a template with a separate stylesheet. Is
> there a site where I can look up permitted fonts?

Any font is permitted. Not all fonts are supported. Actually, there is
no single font that is available in all browsing environments.

If you don't know how to play with fonts, just don't set them at all.

If you know a little bit, set
* { font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; }

The logic behind this is that sans-serif fonts are generally preferable
on screen, and common browser default is Times New Roman, a serif font
that works well on paper but not that well on screen. (You can use serif
fonts too, but then you need to know quite a lot more.)

And normally the browser's default sans-serif font is reasonable, but on
modern Windows systems, Calibri is probably better when available.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Martin Edwards 05-12-2011 08:10 AM

Re: Fonts

On 11/05/2011 12:11, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> If you know a little bit, set

Thanks to all who replied.