Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: And today's winner of the Mr Spurious Generalization Prize is .. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t746281-re-and-todays-winner-of-the-mr-spurious-generalization-prize-is.html)

James Kanze 04-03-2011 05:43 PM

On Apr 3, 4:02 pm, Leigh Johnston <le...@i42.co.uk> wrote:
> And today's winner of the Mr Spurious Generalization Prize is .. Mr
> James Kanze with such classics as:

> "The French use more whitespace"

> and

> "CamelCase is almost universal in telecoms environment"

And today's winner of today's foot in the mouth prize is: Leigh
Johnston, who has managed to show is ignorance of French
typographical conventions (as described in "Lexique des règles
typographiques en usage à l'Imprimerie nationale") and the
naming conventions used in CCITT documents, both in one posting.
(Obviously, there's no shame in not knowing either, but when you
don't know what you're talking about, as in Leigh's case, you
shut up.)

--
James Kanze

Michael Doubez 04-04-2011 09:00 AM

On 3 avr, 20:43, Leigh Johnston <le...@i42.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 18:55, Leigh Johnston wrote:

AFAIK it does. Not only from the typographic point of view as James
refered to (space before the double signes ;: and others) but also due
to the constructs (negation use one more word, frequent use of
subjunctive, indirect or passive form).

> >> And today's winner of today's foot in the mouth prize is: Leigh
> >> Johnston, who has managed to show is ignorance of French
> >> typographical conventions (as described in "Lexique des r gles
> >> typographiques en usage l'Imprimerie nationale") and the
> >> naming conventions used in CCITT documents, both in one posting.
> >> (Obviously, there's no shame in not knowing either, but when you
> >> don't know what you're talking about, as in Leigh's case, you
> >> shut up.)

> > Your arrogance (or hubris) seems to know no bounds. You are the one
> > exhibiting gross ignorance by extrapolating your personal experience
> > into arbitriary (and mostly false) generalizations.

> > Feel free to *plonk* me so I can correct your nonsense with less
> > resultant noise.

> As far as the "telecoms" domain is concerned:
>
> Take a look at "ANSI-C code for the Adaptive Multi Rate speech codec
> ((3G TS 26.073 version 1.0.0)" and will see that the de rigueur naming
> convention in that 3GPP document is not CamelCase but lowercase_underscore.
>
> I was a programmer in the mobile phone industry for 4 years and whilst
> the naming convention of the platform I was immersed in (Symbian OS) was
> CamelCase I would not be arrogant (or stupid) enough to assert that it
> was the "standard" naming convention for an entire industry sector.

Since then, a lot of people have bought an iPhone and not an i_phone.
(Just kidding, I don't want to enter this kind of -useless- argument).

--
Michael

Miles Bader 04-05-2011 05:40 AM

Michael Doubez <michael.doubez@free.fr> writes:
> (Just kidding, I don't want to enter this kind of -useless- argument).

Wait, is there any _other_ kind of argument on c.l.c++?!

-miles

--
Bigot, n. One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that
you do not entertain.

Michael Doubez 04-05-2011 08:58 AM

On 5 avr, 07:40, Miles Bader <mi...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Michael Doubez <michael.dou...@free.fr> writes:
> > (Just kidding, I don't want to enter this kind of -useless- argument).

> Wait, is there any _other_ kind of argument on c.l.c++?!

You mean *anyOtherKind* of argument ?

Of course. Priceless jewels they are.

--
Michael

red floyd 04-05-2011 03:43 PM

On Apr 5, 1:58*am, Michael Doubez <michael.dou...@free.fr> wrote:
> On 5 avr, 07:40, Miles Bader <mi...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > Michael Doubez <michael.dou...@free.fr> writes:
> > > (Just kidding, I don't want to enter this kind of -useless- argument)..

> > Wait, is there any _other_ kind of argument on c.l.c++?!

> You mean *anyOtherKind* of argument ?

Maybe a default argument?

Michael Doubez 04-06-2011 06:56 AM

On 5 avr, 17:43, red floyd <redfl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Wait, is there any _other_ kind of argument on c.l.c++?!

> > You mean *anyOtherKind* of argument ?

> Maybe a default argument?

Quite the contrary

template<class T>
AnyOtherKind
{
private:
AnyOtherKind( T const & ) {}

public:
template<class U>
AnyOtherKind( U const & ) {}
};

And then:

void argument( AnyOtherKind<int> useless);

--
Michael

gwowen 04-07-2011 07:13 AM

On Apr 5, 4:43*pm, red floyd <redfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe a default argument?

Oh, we have a default argument.

"You're a troll"

That works whenever anyone disagrees with you, and admits no rational
counter-argument. Everytime someone points out the subjectivity of
your opinions, just call them a troll. It's the default argument of
comp.lang.c++

Peter Remmers 04-07-2011 07:49 AM

Am 07.04.2011 09:27, schrieb Christian Hackl:

>> AFAIK it does. Not only from the typographic point of view as James
>> refered to (space before the double signes ;: and others) but also due
>> to the constructs (negation use one more word, frequent use of
>> subjunctive, indirect or passive form).

> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Just out of interest, what does the subjunctive have to do with whitespace?

More words means more space between them :)

Peter

jacob navia 04-07-2011 07:53 AM

Le 07/04/11 09:27, Christian Hackl a écrit :
> Michael Doubez ha scritto:
>

> Just out of interest, what does the subjunctive have to do with whitespace?

I could have told you if I would have more whitespace in this small
margin but that story is too big to fit here.

Remember?

Fermat was French, and the lack of whitespace provoked centuries of
soul searching

:-)

Michael Doubez 04-07-2011 11:46 AM

Re: And today's winner of the Mr Spurious Generalization Prize is ..

On 7 avr, 13:12, Christian Hackl <christian.ha...@student.tugraz.at>
wrote:
> Peter Remmers ha scritto:

> >> Just out of interest, what does the subjunctive have to do with whitespace?

> > More words means more space between them :)

> I fear I still don't get, because I cannot think of any French
> subjunctive which consists of more words than the related indicative form..

I was under the assumption that the subjunctive form would be more
used in french than in english.

Thinking back, the usage looks similar and I may be mistaken.

--
Michael