Velocity Reviews

-   -   PyVISA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t746168-pyvisa.html)

Manatee 04-01-2011 03:29 PM

PyVISA

I have unpacked the PyVISA files into the Python/lib/site-packages dir
and from the IDLE GUI I get and error

import visa

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#25>", line 1, in <module>
import visa
ImportError: No module named visa

There must be more to just putting the files in the correct directory.
Need help configuring PyVISA to work.
My ultimate goal is to control electronic instruments with Python
through visa.

G√ľnther Dietrich 04-01-2011 06:05 PM

Re: PyVISA

Manatee <markrrivet@aol.com> wrote:

>I have unpacked the PyVISA files into the Python/lib/site-packages dir
>and from the IDLE GUI I get and error
>
>import visa
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<pyshell#25>", line 1, in <module>
> import visa
>ImportError: No module named visa
>

>There must be more to just putting the files in the correct directory.

Yes, there is more:

- DON'T unpack the files into any site-packages folder. If you already
have done it, remove them.
- Unpack the PyVISA archive to any other folder.
- On the command line, change into the PyVISA folder. There you should
find - among others - the two files setup.py and setup.cfg (at least
if you use PyVISA-1.3.tar.gz).
- Now, it depends on what variant of python you use and want to install
PyVISA for and on the configuration of your PYTHONPATH rsp. sys.path
and the folders they point to.
You can simply try: 'sudo python ./setup install'
If you are lucky, that's it. If not, you have to decide, where the
installation script has to put the files to. For example, for my
python 2.6, I chose
'/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/'. In this path,
there is a folder 'lib/site-packages', which is pointed to by
sys.path, and where .pth files are evaluated.
- Edit the file setup.cfg. Near the end, in section '[install]', you will
find the line 'prefix=/usr'. Replace the '/usr' by your chosen path.
- Save the file and retry the install (see above).

Best regards,

G√ľnther

Manatee 04-01-2011 07:40 PM

Re: PyVISA

On Apr 1, 2:05*pm, "GŁnther Dietrich" <gd.use...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Manatee <markrri...@aol.com> wrote:
> >I have unpacked the PyVISA files into the Python/lib/site-packages dir
> >and from the IDLE GUI I get and error

> >import visa

> >Traceback (most recent call last):
> > *File "<pyshell#25>", line 1, in <module>
> > * *import visa
> >ImportError: No module named visa

> >There must be more to just putting the files in the correct directory.

> Yes, there is more:
>
> - DON'T unpack the files into any site-packages folder. If you already
> * have done it, remove them.
> - Unpack the PyVISA archive to any other folder.
> - On the command line, change into the PyVISA folder. There you should
> * find - among others - the two files setup.py and setup.cfg (at least
> * if you use PyVISA-1.3.tar.gz).
> - Now, it depends on what variant of python you use and want to install
> * PyVISA for and on the configuration of your PYTHONPATH rsp. sys.path
> * and the folders they point to.
> * You can simply try: 'sudo python ./setup install'
> * If you are lucky, that's it. If not, you have to decide, where the
> * installation script has to put the files to. For example, for my
> * python 2.6, I chose
> * '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/'. In this path,
> * there is a folder 'lib/site-packages', which is pointed to by
> * sys.path, and where .pth files are evaluated.
> - Edit the file setup.cfg. Near the end, in section '[install]', you will
> * find the line 'prefix=/usr'. Replace the '/usr' by your chosen path..
> - Save the file and retry the install (see above).
>
> Best regards,
>
> * GŁnther

Well, ok, I'll try some of that. But I am running window 7, not Linux.
The "sudo" command sounds like Linux.

P S 04-23-2011 12:26 AM

Re: .Well, ok, I will try some of that. But I am running window 7, notLinux.

I did a little writeup for setting PyVISA up in Windows. It's not exactly polished, but it can get you through the difficult bits. If you need any additional help, leave comments/questions on my blog.

http://psonghi.wordpress.com/2011/03...up-in-windows/