Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: URL with a predictably long load time? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t745786-ot-url-with-a-predictably-long-load-time.html)

Terry Pinnell 03-27-2011 11:15 AM

OT: URL with a predictably long load time?

This is probably OT here but I'm unsure where best to enquire, so ...

I'm testing a macro that I sometimes run when I open a page in Firefox.
Its purpose is to determine whether the page has fully loaded before
further macro commands are run to do other stuff. (If I try to run those
*before* the page is loaded, unpredictable chaos can occur.)

So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,
so that I can see what's going on at various points in my macro. Can
anyone suggest one please? I probably have one amongst my thousands of
bookmarks but so far haven't located it.

--------------------

For the curious, my simple macro for accomplishing this was working fine
until yesterday, when I upgraded to Firefox version 4.0. The familiar red
'X' icon at the top left of its window changed when a page was loading,
providing a way to test a single pixel's colour at a fixed place within
the FF window. But this has been replaced by a sort of spinning wheel,
which is proving trickier.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Stanimir Stamenkov 03-27-2011 11:27 AM

Re: OT: URL with a predictably long load time?

Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:36 +0100, /Terry Pinnell/:

> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,

http://gfxzone.planet-d.net/database...tmap_list.html

Not sure if that would be large enough for your connection speed.

--
Stanimir

dorayme 03-27-2011 11:49 AM

Re: OT: URL with a predictably long load time?

In article <kb6uo6t7gaqvlbku8gbj6mjnnjblv8191b@4ax.com>,
Terry Pinnell <terrypingm@DELETEgmail.com> wrote:

> I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)

Try this one for "or more" - like maybe ten years:

<http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...-rosebery-4051
19197>

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela 03-27-2011 01:26 PM

Re: URL with a predictably long load time?

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to
> load, so that I can see what's going on at various points in my
> macro.

To get _predictably_ long load time, it's probably best to create a simple
server-side script that generates a trivial HTML document, e.g. the same
line repeated, so that the number of lines is an input parameter. With a few
simple tests, you can then probably select a suitable parameter value for
your purposes.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Terry Pinnell 03-27-2011 02:04 PM

dorayme <dorayme@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>In article <kb6uo6t7gaqvlbku8gbj6mjnnjblv8191b@4ax.com>,
> Terry Pinnell <terrypingm@DELETEgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)

>Try this one for "or more" - like maybe ten years:
>
><http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...-rosebery-4051
>19197>

Stanimir, dorayme: Thanks both, but those took only a couple of seconds
here!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry Pinnell 03-27-2011 02:08 PM

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to
>> load, so that I can see what's going on at various points in my
>> macro.

>To get _predictably_ long load time, it's probably best to create a simple
>server-side script that generates a trivial HTML document, e.g. the same
>line repeated, so that the number of lines is an input parameter. With a few
>simple tests, you can then probably select a suitable parameter value for
>your purposes.

Thanks Jukka, but although I have done a little HTML coding a few years
ago, I'm a real novice. I wouldn't recognise a 'server-side script' if one
jumped out and bit me! Maybe you could get me started please? But I expect
I may then have trouble hosting it within my very limited free web space.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Allodoxaphobia 03-27-2011 02:13 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:36 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,

Not large -- just text and s l o w . . . .

http://www.jonz.net/fortune/index.php

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

P E Schoen 03-27-2011 06:55 PM

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message

> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)
> to load,

I have a simple demo that calls a PHP script that generates an HTML page
after a 5 second delay (which can be changed in the script, and could be
made adjustable by means of a CGI variable). Here is the link.
http://www.pauleschoen.com/bgf/BGFemailDemo.htm

Just click on the button and it should take a little more than 5 seconds to
load a dynamically generated page of emails.

If you would like a longer time, or if you would like the script, please
send me an email. I could also easily add a field in the form for the number
of seconds to wait.

Paul

Edward A. Falk 03-27-2011 07:28 PM

Re: URL with a predictably long load time?

In article <cvguo6pruombv2qkams0mdm11fkoukp2uj@4ax.com>,

Here's a quick-n-dirty one: http://www.efalk.org/cgi-bin/foo.cgi

--
-Ed Falk, falk@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

cwdjrxyz 03-27-2011 08:16 PM

On Mar 27, 6:49*am, dorayme <dora...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <kb6uo6t7gaqvlbku8gbj6mjnnjblv81...@4ax.com>,
> *Terry Pinnell <terrypi...@DELETEgmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)

> Try this one for "or more" - like maybe ten years:
>
> <http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...-rosebery-4051
> 19197>

When I go to the page, some information about the real estate company
comes up very fast, but the page is still loading. After 16 seconds I
get the message "The page you requested does not exist, or is
currently unavailable." Most likely the offering is no longer
available and has been pulled. If the page were still available, I can
believe that loading time could be much longer. Many real estate pages
in the US are huge and contain many videos, high resolution photos,
etc. that can cause load time to be very excessive unless they are
constructed such that not everything downloads at once. Proper use of
server side script such as php can download selected media without
download everything else at once when a button is selected to get a
specific view.