Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Computer language names (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t745529-ot-computer-language-names.html)

Ebenezer 03-22-2011 03:14 PM

OT: Computer language names

I was thinking of how search engines don't like one or two
letter words as input and how that would make it difficult
to search for C libraries and so forth. C++ seems to be
favored in this respect over even some more recent langauges --
D is no better than C. Java is more search engine freindly than
C or D, but the word has several alternative meanings. I conclude
C++ is a pretty good name for a language -- it is unique and
substantial enough for search engines to be able to work with.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

red floyd 03-22-2011 04:18 PM

Re: OT: Computer language names

On Mar 22, 8:14*am, Ebenezer <woodbria...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of how search engines don't like one or two
> letter words as input and how that would make it difficult
> to search for C libraries and so forth. *

So? Use quotes.

"C library"

osmium 03-22-2011 07:14 PM

red floyd wrote:

> On Mar 22, 8:14 am, Ebenezer <woodbria...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking of how search engines don't like one or two
>> letter words as input and how that would make it difficult
>> to search for C libraries and so forth.

> So? Use quotes.
>
> "C library"

I only get four hits for
"c libraries and so forth"

James 03-23-2011 11:16 AM

Re: OT: Computer language names

> I conclude
> C++ is a pretty good name for a language -- it is unique and
> substantial enough for search engines to be able to work with.

Reminds me of Donald Knuth's quote about language names...

"The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A
language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently
invented a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable
language."

James

Jorgen Grahn 03-23-2011 11:32 AM

On Tue, 2011-03-22, Ebenezer wrote:

> I was thinking of how search engines don't like one or two
> letter words as input and how that would make it difficult
> to search for C libraries and so forth. C++ seems to be
> favored in this respect over even some more recent langauges --
> D is no better than C. Java is more search engine freindly than
> C or D, but the word has several alternative meanings. I conclude
> C++ is a pretty good name for a language -- it is unique and
> substantial enough for search engines to be able to work with.

The worst aspect of the name C++ is that it doesn't hyphenate correctly
in various applications: you get to see things like C-
++.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Rolf Magnus 03-24-2011 05:39 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:

> Ebenezer <woodbrian77@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I was thinking of how search engines don't like one or two
>> letter words as input and how that would make it difficult
>> to search for C libraries and so forth.

> Only if your google-fu is weak. Searching for "C Libraries" (with the
> quotes) solves that issue quite well.

And it seems that google fixed something. It even works for C++. Some time
ago, they were ignoring the ++.

Juha Nieminen 03-24-2011 09:11 AM

Ebenezer <woodbrian77@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of how search engines don't like one or two
> letter words as input and how that would make it difficult
> to search for C libraries and so forth. C++ seems to be
> favored in this respect over even some more recent langauges --
> D is no better than C. Java is more search engine freindly than
> C or D, but the word has several alternative meanings. I conclude
> C++ is a pretty good name for a language -- it is unique and
> substantial enough for search engines to be able to work with.

Except that many search engines don't like non-alphanumeric characters
such as '+' and will often either strip them or interpret them in some
special way. (I assume engines like google have special exceptions for
search terms such as "c++" so that it won't interpret the plus symbols
in special ways or strip them.)

James Kanze 03-26-2011 01:14 PM

On Mar 22, 3:14 pm, Ebenezer <woodbria...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of how search engines don't like one or two
> letter words as input and how that would make it difficult
> to search for C libraries and so forth. C++ seems to be
> favored in this respect over even some more recent langauges --
> D is no better than C. Java is more search engine freindly than
> C or D, but the word has several alternative meanings. I conclude
> C++ is a pretty good name for a language -- it is unique and
> substantial enough for search engines to be able to work with.

The '+' character is a meta-character in a lot of contexts,
which means you have to escape it. (IIRC, that posed some
problems when we first set up comp.lang.c++.moderated. The
original moderation email address also had c++ in it, and some
mail forwarders bawked.)

--
James Kanze