Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: The Bible in html/css... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t745411-re-the-bible-in-html-css.html)

idle 03-19-2011 08:51 PM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org

--
idle
I have yet to decided whether to use my power for good...or for evil.

dorayme 03-20-2011 02:25 AM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

In article <S7OdnZh8yPgZwBjQnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@westnet.com.au >,
freedomfighter <freedomfighter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks to all with a lot of blessing.

Give us a bloody break. When did any blessing do the least good?
Gus is worthy but how about donating it to the poor people of
Libya who just want a say in how the their country is run rather
be ruled and gunned down by a psychopath.

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell 03-20-2011 04:37 AM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme <dorayme@optusnet.com.au>
writing in news:dorayme-F281F8.13250720032011@news.albasani.net:

> In article <S7OdnZh8yPgZwBjQnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@westnet.com.au >,
> freedomfighter <freedomfighter@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Many thanks to all with a lot of blessing.

> Give us a bloody break. When did any blessing do the least good?
> Gus is worthy but how about donating it to the poor people of
> Libya who just want a say in how the their country is run rather
> be ruled and gunned down by a psychopath.

I think everyone needs a blessing or two, even if they are not in a war
torn, or radio active part of the world. Maybe the good fortune a
blessing could give would be enough to make someone feel fortunate enough
to donate some of that good fortune.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Lewis 03-20-2011 12:51 PM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

In message <dorayme-F281F8.13250720032011@news.albasani.net>
dorayme <dorayme@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <S7OdnZh8yPgZwBjQnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@westnet.com.au >,
> freedomfighter <freedomfighter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Many thanks to all with a lot of blessing.

> Give us a bloody break. When did any blessing do the least good?

Haven't you heard, everything in Japan is great now since the whole
#prayforJapan campaign got started. All the buildings are back, the
reactors are humming along like nothing happened and all those dead
bodies? Turns out they were just napping!

--
Han : You said you wanted to be around when I made a mistake, well, this
could be it, sweetheart. Leia: I take it back.

dorayme 03-20-2011 11:39 PM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

In article <gr4do6peebird8qser5at0am5idpf5v9kf@4ax.com>,
Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> It would be nice if the number of columns could be increased for
> people using a wide monitor, and decreased for people reading on a
> pocket monitor.

That is what several examples in the thread have shown can be
done and it is provided for in the CSS3 facilities. Browser
support is a different matter.

--
dorayme

Joy Beeson 03-21-2011 12:04 AM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:48:33 +0900, freedomfighter
<freedomfighter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Idea is to use the Bible in one browser only, let's say in Firefox
> portable - not on the web!
>
> Two columns - that's how it is in most printed Bibles.

Could work -- but find how high the shortest monitor any reader uses
is, and make your columns shorter, so that both columns can be read
before scrolling.

It would be nice if the number of columns could be increased for
people using a wide monitor, and decreased for people reading on a
pocket monitor.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Allodoxaphobia 03-21-2011 03:24 AM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:48:33 +0900, freedomfighter wrote:

> Two columns - that's how it is in most printed Bibles.

Not exactly Thinking Outside The Box, are you?

Jukka K. Korpela 03-21-2011 07:43 AM

Re: The Bible in html/css...

freedomfighter wrote:

> 1. Idea is to use the Bible in one browser only, let's say in Firefox
> portable - not on the web!

We all start at 100% browser coverage, and then some of us, often with great
pain, work downwards. There's little reason to author for a single browser
even if it the pages are for your personal use, or for the use of a small
group. For example, what happens if a catastrophic security hole is found in
Firefox with no fix found for days? Should your pages stay unused then,
until a fix is (maybe) found?

> Two columns - that's how it is in most printed Bibles.

So what? Why would you imitate the impact of limitations of certain
technologies when using a completely different technology?

The _original_ format of biblical scriptures was, as far as we can know,
parchment or papyrus scrolls - to be read with scrolling, obviously. Printed
sheets of paper were invented later, and due to technical limitations and
economic considerations, sheets of paper are usually so wide that text lines
that wide are too wide for comfortable reading. There are different
approaches to this problem, one of them being two-column layout. There is
nothing inherently good in it - it makes reading less comfortable.

If people really want the look and feel of printed Bibles, give them printed
Bibles. As the second best option then, give them PDF documents. (Contrary
to popular belief, you can have links in PDF documents.)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/