Velocity Reviews

-   -   cheap hosting with simple CMS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t744966-cheap-hosting-with-simple-cms.html)

123Jim 03-11-2011 08:35 PM

cheap hosting with simple CMS

Hi all,
Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....

I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.

Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration and
hosting side of the deal.
To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
$29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..

I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame forwarding
to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend it
to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
that might cause me a headache ..

I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-11-2011 08:48 PM

Re: cheap hosting with simple CMS

123Jim wrote:

> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

"Never put all your eggs in one basket."

--
-bts
-This poast is valid through December 21, 2012

idle 03-11-2011 09:27 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

> Hi all,
> Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
>
> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
> hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
> has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
> user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
>
> Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration and
> hosting side of the deal.
> To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
> $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
>
> I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame forwarding
> to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend it
> to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
> that might cause me a headache ..
>
> I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

Buy your domain name here.
http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
Buy your hosting from here.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.

Pretty easy stuff.

--
idle
I refuse to let common sense cloud my judgment.

idle 03-11-2011 09:28 PM

Re: cheap hosting with simple CMS

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

> Hi all,
> Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
>
> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
> hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
> has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
> user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
>
> Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration and
> hosting side of the deal.
> To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
> $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
>
> I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame forwarding
> to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend it
> to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
> that might cause me a headache ..
>
> I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

Actually, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

;)

--
Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.

123Jim 03-11-2011 09:36 PM

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message
> 123Jim wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

> "Never put all your eggs in one basket."
>
> --

In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the web
... The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me some
confidence they will continue.

Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with a
different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame forwarding'
that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

123Jim 03-11-2011 10:05 PM

"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> 123Jim wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

>> "Never put all your eggs in one basket."
>>
>> --

> In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
> around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the
> web .. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me
> some confidence they will continue.
>
> Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with
> a different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame
> forwarding' that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html .. but
that is not what I get with frame forwarding ..
I see I have other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' ..
which one of these would result in my URLs containing the
domain/webpage.html ?
Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-11-2011 10:11 PM

123Jim wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> 123Jim wrote:
>>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

>> "Never put all your eggs in one basket."

> In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
> around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of
> the web .. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side
> gives me some confidence they will continue.

Ok then. It's your basket. <g>

> Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain
> with a different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil
> 'frame forwarding' that I seem compelled to endure with
> 1395domains.com?

With a proper domain registrar and a proper web hosting service, you
simply enter the 'nameservers' that the host tells you to use. So your
first question to your prospective new host should be "what are the
nameservers I would use at my domain registrar?"

Do a WHOIS on any popular web site, and see the nameserver names.

--
-bts

123Jim 03-11-2011 10:14 PM

"idle" <idle@mycomputer.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
>>
>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
>> hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
>> has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
>> user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
>>
>> Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration
>> and
>> hosting side of the deal.
>> To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
>> $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
>>
>> I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame
>> forwarding
>> to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend
>> it
>> to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
>> that might cause me a headache ..
>>
>> I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

> Buy your domain name here.
> http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
> Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
> Buy your hosting from here.
> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
> There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
> Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
> to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.
>
> Pretty easy stuff.
>

> --

Thanks . I like the price at netfirms .. how easy is it to transfer domains?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-11-2011 10:16 PM

123Jim wrote:

> Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
> really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html
> .. but that is not what I get with frame forwarding .. I see I have
> other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' .. which
> one of these would result in my URLs containing the
> domain/webpage.html ?

Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

> Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

Seems so.

--
-bts

123Jim 03-11-2011 10:36 PM

> 123Jim wrote:
>
>> Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
>> really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html
>> .. but that is not what I get with frame forwarding .. I see I have
>> other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' .. which
>> one of these would result in my URLs containing the
>> domain/webpage.html ?

> Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
> other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

It's a jungle out there :()
I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
(recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my high
traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by messing with
this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic .. lol )