Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   C++ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f39-c.html)
-   -   Why I like only C++? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t744649-why-i-like-only-c.html)

crea 03-05-2011 11:59 PM

Why I like only C++?
 
This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++ (or
maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...

I remember doing a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at all.

Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.

Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?



Victor Bazarov 03-06-2011 12:38 AM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 
On 3/5/2011 6:59 PM, crea wrote:
> This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++ (or
> maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...
>
> I remember doing a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at all.
>
> Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.
>
> Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?


When you get to program more, and the language becomes your tool, not
your toy, you lose the special relationship (gradually), and start
developing affinity to solutions, not methods of [en]coding them.

V
--
I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask

Paul 03-06-2011 01:58 AM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 

"crea" <no@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:98Acp.36919$%e2.4096@newsfe13.ams2...
> This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++
> (or maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...
>
> I remember doing a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at
> all.
>
> Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.
>
> Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?


If MS brought out C# before VB I would've been a big fan. C# would've been
nice for excel , but VB is a no go area for me.

The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you learn
asm. Its the low level understanding of what's going on that you're probsbly
bonded with, nothing to do with the language syntax. But having said that I
prefer C++,C, Pascal, Java, javascipt, PHP, C# style syntax to VB
syntax(which is completely different to all the rest).


Brian 03-06-2011 04:28 AM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 
Paul wrote:
> "crea" <no@invalid.com> wrote in message
> news:98Acp.36919$%e2.4096@newsfe13.ams2...
>> This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than
>> C++ (or maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...
>>
>> I remember doing a project with VB in a company. I did not like it
>> at all.
>>
>> Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.
>>
>> Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?

>
> If MS brought out C# before VB I would've been a big fan. C# would've
> been nice for excel , but VB is a no go area for me.
>
> The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you
> learn asm. Its the low level understanding of what's going on that
> you're probsbly bonded with, nothing to do with the language syntax.
> But having said that I prefer C++,C, Pascal, Java, javascipt, PHP, C#
> style syntax to VB syntax(which is completely different to all the
> rest).


Pascal? Whoa! Pascal is not a curly-brace language! (And therefore sucks,
of course).



Juha Nieminen 03-06-2011 08:08 AM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 
Paul <pchristor@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you learn
> asm.


That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.

Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?

Paul 03-06-2011 11:13 AM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 

"Juha Nieminen" <nospam@thanks.invalid> wrote in message
news:4d734116$0$2867$7b1e8fa0@news.nbl.fi...
> Paul <pchristor@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you
>> learn
>> asm.

>
> That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.
>
> Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?
>

As I said its not the sysntax its the understanding of the underlying
mechanics. Java syntax is almost identical but with better array
declarations but you don't think of it the same.



Paul 03-06-2011 12:53 PM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 

"Leigh Johnston" <leigh@i42.co.uk> wrote in message
news:orSdnaYlxPLR6u7QnZ2dnUVZ8rqdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> On 06/03/2011 11:13, Paul wrote:
>>
>> "Juha Nieminen" <nospam@thanks.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:4d734116$0$2867$7b1e8fa0@news.nbl.fi...
>>> Paul <pchristor@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>> The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you
>>>> learn
>>>> asm.
>>>
>>> That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.
>>>
>>> Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?
>>>

>> As I said its not the sysntax its the understanding of the underlying
>> mechanics. Java syntax is almost identical but with better array
>> declarations but you don't think of it the same.
>>

>
> And if *you* understood the underlying mechanics you wouldn't keep
> bleating that a member function is a member of an object.
>

Shut up arsehole, i have already proven that is utter shite and that you are
nothing more than a clueless idiot.

<snip>


Paul 03-06-2011 01:38 PM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 

"Leigh Johnston" <leigh@i42.co.uk> wrote in message
news:orSdnaYlxPLR6u7QnZ2dnUVZ8rqdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> On 06/03/2011 11:13, Paul wrote:
>>
>> "Juha Nieminen" <nospam@thanks.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:4d734116$0$2867$7b1e8fa0@news.nbl.fi...
>>> Paul <pchristor@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>> The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you
>>>> learn
>>>> asm.
>>>
>>> That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.
>>>
>>> Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?
>>>

>> As I said its not the sysntax its the understanding of the underlying
>> mechanics. Java syntax is almost identical but with better array
>> declarations but you don't think of it the same.
>>

>
> And if *you* understood the underlying mechanics you wouldn't keep
> bleating that a member function is a member of an object.
>
> In C++ a member function is a member of a class not a member of an object;
> after compilation functions (member of otherwise) only exist as machine
> code in the text segment; in C++ an object is simply a region of storage.
>

16-bit MS-DOS tiny memory model is one clear example of a non segmented
memory model.
Strange how we can use C++ functions in these programs, yet they have no
text segement.

Something is wrong , its either you or the complete computer programming
world.


Nick Keighley 03-06-2011 01:54 PM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 
On Mar 6, 1:58*am, "Paul" <pchris...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> "crea" <n...@invalid.com> wrote in message
> news:98Acp.36919$%e2.4096@newsfe13.ams2...



> > This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++
> > (or maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...


narrow thinking? You'll be abetter programmer if you learn a couple
of extra languages. They allow you to think about different ways to
address problems. And it is simply easier to do things in some
languages than others. Perl excels at pattern matching and
substitution. It's a pain trying to do Perl things in C++. (Maybe the
Boost regexp stuff makes it better- the sytax looked a little awkward
to me).


> > I remember doing *a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at
> > all.


probably wise not to like VB. There world of computer langues is
slightly larger than C++ and VB!


> > Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.

>
> > Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?

>
> If MS brought out C# before VB I would've been a big fan.


I've heard C# described as the language that VB should have been.


> C# would've been
> nice for excel , but VB is a no go area for me.
>
> The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you learn
> asm.


you've got to be kidding.


> Its the low level understanding of what's going on that you're probsbly
> bonded with, nothing to do with the language syntax.


At least my C++ programs have a fair chance of running on different
platforms. asm means I'm tied to today's platform. Plus it'll be ten
times harder to write the program in the first place.


> But having said that I
> prefer C++,C, Pascal, Java, javascipt, PHP, C# *style syntax to VB
> syntax(which is completely different to all the rest).



Nick Keighley 03-06-2011 01:55 PM

Re: Why I like only C++?
 
On Mar 6, 8:08*am, Juha Nieminen <nos...@thanks.invalid> wrote:
> Paul <pchris...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you learn
> > asm.

>
> * That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.
>
> * Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?


he relises how much pain and suffering C++ is sheltering him from


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.