Velocity Reviews

-   -   htaccess file help please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t744557-htaccess-file-help-please.html)

Mark Shapiro 03-04-2011 02:26 PM

htaccess file help please

Is it appropriate to ask for help about a simple
htaccess question here? I have a spammer always
trying to flood/hack my site, and it's from one
IP adresss in Russia. I looked on the web and
found examples, oh I will just go ask:

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on

rewritecond %{http_host} ^JudgmentBuy.com$ [nc]
rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.JudgmentBuy.com/$1 [r=301,nc]

order allow,deny
deny from 91.201.66.76
allow from all

--- any glaring errors?

Doug Miller 03-04-2011 03:38 PM

Re: htaccess file help please

In article <1jxldva.qpod0s1o38d1oN%mark@mail.goguys.com>, mark@mail.goguys.com (Mark Shapiro) wrote:
>Is it appropriate to ask for help about a simple
>htaccess question here?

You're more likely to get useful advice if you post in
alt.apache.configuration

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-04-2011 04:26 PM

Evan Platt wrote:

> mark@mail.goguys.com (Mark Shapiro) wrote:
>> Is it appropriate to ask for help about a simple htaccess question
>> here? I have a spammer always trying to flood/hack my site, and
>> it's from one IP adresss in Russia. I looked on the web and found
>> examples, oh I will just go ask:

> Certainly your firewall would be a better place to block the spammer
> at.

...unless it is a shared hosting server. Then .htaccess would be the
better place.

--
-bts

Denis McMahon 03-04-2011 05:59 PM

On 04/03/11 14:26, Mark Shapiro wrote:

> --- any glaring errors?

The directives that you can use in an .htaccess file depend on the
allowoveride settings for the directory concerned in the apache config
for the [virtual] server concerned.

Afair you need at least "limit" to use allow / deny / order in an .htaccess.

You might want to ask your hosting company.

If it's your own server, editing the apache config for the [virtual]
server concerned is the recommended approach for such things.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Mark Shapiro 03-05-2011 12:46 AM

Re: htaccess file help please

> You might want to ask your hosting company.
> If it's your own server, editing the apache config for the [virtual]
> server concerned is the recommended approach for such things.

Thank you much. I have contacted the hosting company, as it's a shared
hosting site.

Mark Shapiro 03-08-2011 01:26 AM

Mark Shapiro <mark@mail.goguys.com> wrote:

> > You might want to ask your hosting company.
> > If it's your own server, editing the apache config for the [virtual]
> > server concerned is the recommended approach for such things.

> Thank you much. I have contacted the hosting company, as it's a shared
> hosting site.

Well, my ISP said that since I was on a shared hosting server,
the spammer uses the system's CGI script, so my htaccess file
was being ignored. They said I could (4 times the price)
upgrade my account to move the mail cgi script to my home
directory. Oh well.

Jonathan N. Little 03-08-2011 01:42 AM

Mark Shapiro wrote:

> Well, my ISP said that since I was on a shared hosting server,
> the spammer uses the system's CGI script, so my htaccess file
> was being ignored. They said I could (4 times the price)
> upgrade my account to move the mail cgi script to my home
> directory. Oh well.

Change your ISP. There are plenty out there that allow you to have your
own CGI scripts on the cheap. I use to use FatCow when I could use
shared hosting which like others in its class allow for your own user
cgi-bin. I like them, but had to move to a VPS solution to satisfy PCI
Compliance...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-08-2011 03:41 AM

Mark Shapiro wrote:

> Mark Shapiro <mark@mail.goguys.com> wrote:
>> Thank you much. I have contacted the hosting company, as it's a
>> shared hosting site.

> Well, my ISP said that since I was on a shared hosting server,

Hmm? Your ISP is the 'pipe' by which you personally connect to the
Internet. DSL/cable/dialup. Who is your *web hosting company?*

> the spammer uses the system's CGI script,

So there is an insecure script at your web site. You should fix that.

> so my htaccess file was being ignored. They

Your ISP?

> said I could (4 times the price) upgrade my account to move the mail
> cgi script to my home directory. Oh well.

Run away fast.

--
-bts

Mark Shapiro 03-08-2011 04:47 AM

Re: htaccess file help please

> > the spammer uses the system's CGI script,

> So there is an insecure script at your web site. You should fix that.
>
> > so my htaccess file was being ignored. They

> Your ISP?
>
> > said I could (4 times the price) upgrade my account to move the mail
> > cgi script to my home directory. Oh well.

> Run away fast.

Pair.com - they are very reliable. $8 a month,

Jonathan N. Little 03-08-2011 05:06 AM

Mark Shapiro wrote:

>>> the spammer uses the system's CGI script,

>> So there is an insecure script at your web site. You should fix that.
>>
>>> so my htaccess file was being ignored. They

>> Your ISP?
>>
>>> said I could (4 times the price) upgrade my account to move the mail
>>> cgi script to my home directory. Oh well.

>> Run away fast.

> Pair.com - they are very reliable. $8 a month,

Not very reliable if their mail cgi script you have to use is
hackable... Many other fish in the sea. Checked on my old hosting co.

http://www.fatcow.com/

They dropped the price since I used them, now $78 which works out $6.50
a month, and you have your own cgi-bin... They are not alone, I hear
Bluehost, 1&1 are good...

--
Take care,

Jonathan