Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bjarne Stroustrup speaks on a video about C++0x (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t744474-bjarne-stroustrup-speaks-on-a-video-about-c-0x.html)

crea 03-03-2011 10:04 AM

Bjarne Stroustrup speaks on a video about C++0x

http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C++...0Overview.html

Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

SG 03-03-2011 10:27 AM

Re: Bjarne Stroustrup speaks on a video about C++0x

On 3 Mrz., 11:04, crea wrote:

> http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C++...0Overview.html
> Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more up-
to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
100% sure about that.

Cheers!
SG

crea 03-03-2011 10:31 AM

SG wrote:
> On 3 Mrz., 11:04, crea wrote:
>>
>> http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C++...0Overview.html
>> Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

> This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
> aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
> talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more
> up- to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
> 100% sure about that.

Can you give the link?

But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
about compilers etc

itaj sherman 03-03-2011 10:53 AM

On Mar 3, 12:31*pm, "crea" <n...@invalid.com> wrote:
> SG wrote:
> > On 3 Mrz., 11:04, crea wrote:

> >>http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C++...0Overview.html
> >> Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

> > This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
> > aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
> > talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more
> > up- to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
> > 100% sure about that.

> Can you give the link?
>
> But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
> about compilers etc

Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.

itaj

K4 Monk 03-06-2011 11:47 PM

On Mar 3, 3:53*pm, itaj sherman <itajsher...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 12:31*pm, "crea" <n...@invalid.com> wrote:
>

> > SG wrote:

> > > This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
> > > aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
> > > talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more
> > > up- to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
> > > 100% sure about that.

> > Can you give the link?

> > But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
> > about compilers etc

> Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
> cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.
>
> itaj

I get the feeling from his writings that he is a grouchy old man who
wears the label

"I INVENTED C++ DO YOU GET IT BITCHES IF NOT, I AM THE FATHER OF C++"
all the time.
I don't read the same arrogance in K&R

Qi 03-07-2011 06:02 AM

On 2011-3-3 18:04, crea wrote:
> http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C++...0Overview.html
>
> Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

Thanks for the sharing.
I downloaded whole MPG (600M+) because I found BS' English
is not difficult to understand and I can practice my listening :-).

--
WQ

Keith H Duggar 03-08-2011 10:47 PM

On Mar 6, 6:47*pm, K4 Monk <k4m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 3:53*pm, itaj sherman <itajsher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Can you give the link?

> > > But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
> > > about compilers etc

> > Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
> > cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.

> > itaj

> I get the feeling from his writings that he is a grouchy old man who
> wears the label
>
> "I INVENTED C++ DO YOU GET IT BITCHES IF NOT, I AM THE FATHER OF C++"
> all the time.
> I don't read the same arrogance in K&R

How bizarre. From his books and talk and get completely the opposite
impression: that he is a pragmatic and humble consensus builder. Can
anyone who works with him personally, say on the committee, comment?

KHD

James Kanze 03-09-2011 09:04 PM

On Mar 8, 10:47 pm, Keith H Duggar <dug...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 6:47 pm, K4 Monk <k4m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
> > > cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.

> > I get the feeling from his writings that he is a grouchy old man who
> > wears the label

> > "I INVENTED C++ DO YOU GET IT BITCHES IF NOT, I AM THE FATHER OF C++"
> > all the time.
> > I don't read the same arrogance in K&R

> How bizarre. From his books and talk and get completely the opposite
> impression: that he is a pragmatic and humble consensus builder. Can
> anyone who works with him personally, say on the committee, comment?

I've met him several times, and spoken with him personally, and
your statement pretty much sums him up. Above all, he listens
to others, and takes their ideas into consideration.

--
James Kanze