Velocity Reviews

-   -   basic question about tree (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t744437-basic-question-about-tree.html)

asit 03-02-2011 07:24 PM

basic question about tree

Natural trees grow with their roots in the ground and their leaves in the air. why the tree in computer science is portrayed in the reverse manner ??

Jens Thoms Toerring 03-02-2011 07:38 PM

Re: basic question about tree

asit <lipun4u@gmail.com> wrote:
> Natural trees grow with their roots in the ground and their leaves in the
> air. why the tree in computer science is portrayed in the reverse manner ??

Because, if you idly lay under a tree in the sunshine, staring
holes in the air and pondering new algorithms (at least while
not dozing), that's just the way the tree looks to you;-)

Regards, Jens

Drew Lawson 03-02-2011 07:49 PM

Re: basic question about tree

In article <58019960-1c8f-4a8f-9d17-811d11e2d041@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com>
comp.lang.c++@googlegroups.com writes:
>Natural trees grow with their roots in the ground and their leaves
>in the air. why the tree in computer science is portrayed in the
>reverse manner ??

Because they are Australian.

Aside from that, I've seen data trees presented as growing up, down
or sideways.

If you are assembling one on a chalk/whiteboard, it is often easier
to work top to bottom, since that is how most writing procedes. It
is also a more natural order for reading, at least in western
languages.

--
Drew Lawson | What you own is your own kingdom