Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ethernet line extender.. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t743869-ethernet-line-extender.html)

tony sayer 02-19-2011 04:58 PM

Ethernet line extender..

Bit of an odd one this. One of our customers wants a phone line in right
out in the middle of a long way away off Bt's or anyone's network!. As
it happens we have a communications site am few miles away and can
install an Ethernet microwave link between the Two places.

Customer wants that line and number to appear the remote location so I
suppose they could use Two ATA adapters one analogue side facing the BT
line and the other going direct to the phone in use. So from BT line to
ATA unit to Microwave link then to ATA thence back to Analogue line.

The microwave link can be thought of as a very long CAT 5 cable;!.

Anyone done that or know if it would work ?.

--
Tony Sayer

Gordon Henderson 02-19-2011 08:47 PM

Re: Ethernet line extender..

In article <KQbx65GJb$XNFwmB@bancom.co.uk>,
tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:

>Bit of an odd one this. One of our customers wants a phone line in right
>out in the middle of a long way away off Bt's or anyone's network!. As
>it happens we have a communications site am few miles away and can
>install an Ethernet microwave link between the Two places.
>
>Customer wants that line and number to appear the remote location so I
>suppose they could use Two ATA adapters one analogue side facing the BT
>line and the other going direct to the phone in use. So from BT line to
>ATA unit to Microwave link then to ATA thence back to Analogue line.
>

>The microwave link can be thought of as a very long CAT 5 cable;!.
>
>Anyone done that or know if it would work ?.

Probably, but ...

Why not simply an ATA at the BT end with a VoIP phone at the far-end?

Or has he a particular attachment to an analogue phone?

(And remember, you're looking for one with an FXO port for the BT end,
and FXS port for the phone end - if going with an analogue phone)

Gordon

Woody 02-19-2011 10:00 PM

Re: Ethernet line extender..

"tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote in message

> Bit of an odd one this. One of our customers wants a phone line
> in right
> out in the middle of a long way away off Bt's or anyone's
> network!. As
> it happens we have a communications site am few miles away and
> can
> install an Ethernet microwave link between the Two places.
>
> Customer wants that line and number to appear the remote
> location so I
> suppose they could use Two ATA adapters one analogue side
> facing the BT
> line and the other going direct to the phone in use. So from BT
> line to
> ATA unit to Microwave link then to ATA thence back to Analogue
> line.
>

> The microwave link can be thought of as a very long CAT 5
> cable;!.
>
> Anyone done that or know if it would work ?.

Put the ADSL modem at the end of the line in non-NAT mode and
send the ethernet over the link. Put a router on the end of the
etherent and connect both the PC and the ATA to wired ports, then
use VoIP for the phone, or better still use a stand-alone VoIP
phone such as those by Cisco or Siemens. I would doubt the ATA to
ATA option would work as the box would have to register with a
VoIP provider.

You may need to investigate but I suspect something like a
Fritzbox can sit on the telephone line, answer any incoming
calls, and route them automatically through the VoIP provider to
the VoIP phone - such in-house calls should be free (certainly
they are with Sipgate.) There is no need to use the same line for
outgoing calls - they can be made directly through the VoIP
provider if necessary using a presentation number of the actual
landline number (if you see what I mean.)

Important point is to use a good VoIP SP such as Andrews and
Arnold or Draytel.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Stephen 02-19-2011 10:36 PM

Re: Ethernet line extender..

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:58:49 +0000, tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk>
wrote:

>Bit of an odd one this. One of our customers wants a phone line in right
>out in the middle of a long way away off Bt's or anyone's network!. As
>it happens we have a communications site am few miles away and can
>install an Ethernet microwave link between the Two places.

These are pretty reliable if you have line of sight and you can
engineer the link to be reliable with low error rate.

Poor links will cause problems for data as well - the threshold for
reasonable VoIP is supposed to be less than 1%, and voice compression
makes the traffic more sensitive to drops.

0.1% or better is a good target.

>Customer wants that line and number to appear the remote location so I
>suppose they could use Two ATA adapters one analogue side facing the BT
>line and the other going direct to the phone in use. So from BT line to
>ATA unit to Microwave link then to ATA thence back to Analogue line.
>

>The microwave link can be thought of as a very long CAT 5 cable;!.

Better to think of it as a link between switches - unless there really
is nothing else connected?
Note wireless or other WAN links may have internal bridges in the end
equipment.

>Anyone done that or know if it would work ?.

i have run enterprise VoIP systems across Ethernet WAN links around
the UK, using various types of link, and including microwave.

The latency within the UK is usually at most a few mSec (should be
less than 20 mSec unless you have a really wierd link).

the ITU standard (forget which one) recommends less than 150 mSec
latency 1 way before you get degradation of the call - but that is
from "mouth to ear" so includes code / decode as well as network
latency. Depending on the codec + tuning you will have 50 mSec or so
in the code / decode.

You should use QoS on the boxes at the ends of the link so that the
VoIP gets priority.

if the Ethernet WAN has a built in bottleneck (say x Mbps of
bandwidth but presented on a 100 Mbps Ethernet port), then unless the
link can be set to prefer not to throw away your VoIP (via 802.1p or
DSCP marking) then you need to shape the traffic so that nothing
overloads that bottleneck, so you control what gets through.

you should use a router or switch that can shape the overall traffic
flow, and then prioritise the VoIP within that. If the wireless link
is "wire speed" then you can just prioritise.

Good luck
--
Regards

stephen_hope@xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl

alexd 02-20-2011 10:54 AM

Re: Ethernet line extender..

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, tony sayer
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> The microwave link can be thought of as a very long CAT 5 cable;!.
>
> Anyone done that or know if it would work ?.

Key search term is "back to back" - quick search on google turns up a few
config guides from Provu:

http://www.provu.co.uk/support_docs.html

I know Linksys ATAs aren't the only ones capable of this; you can do with
with Mediatrix ATAs, for example [but they're a bit pricey].

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
10:52:14 up 1 day, 13:32, 7 users, load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.07

Woody 02-20-2011 11:52 AM

Re: Ethernet line extender..

"alexd" <troffasky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings,
> tony sayer
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> The microwave link can be thought of as a very long CAT 5
>> cable;!.
>>
>> Anyone done that or know if it would work ?.

> Key search term is "back to back" - quick search on google
> turns up a few
> config guides from Provu:
>
> http://www.provu.co.uk/support_docs.html
>
> I know Linksys ATAs aren't the only ones capable of this; you
> can do with
> with Mediatrix ATAs, for example [but they're a bit pricey].
>
> --

Hey, ain't that clever. I never knew that!

tony sayer 02-21-2011 06:48 PM

Re: Ethernet line extender..

In article <KQbx65GJb$XNFwmB@bancom.co.uk>, tony sayer
<tony@bancom.co.uk> scribeth thus

>Bit of an odd one this. One of our customers wants a phone line in right
>out in the middle of a long way away off Bt's or anyone's network!. As
>it happens we have a communications site am few miles away and can
>install an Ethernet microwave link between the Two places.
>
>Customer wants that line and number to appear the remote location so I
>suppose they could use Two ATA adapters one analogue side facing the BT
>line and the other going direct to the phone in use. So from BT line to
>ATA unit to Microwave link then to ATA thence back to Analogue line.
>

>The microwave link can be thought of as a very long CAT 5 cable;!.
>
>Anyone done that or know if it would work ?.

Thanks to all who replied to this, and yes the obvious answer is to go
to VoIP but they the firm involved can't quite get their heads around
the concept, so perhaps a fiddle about with some ATA adapters will
suffice in this instance..

Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer