Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Is this a bug of str.join? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t743694-re-is-this-a-bug-of-str-join.html)

Cameron Simpson 02-17-2011 04:34 AM

Re: Is this a bug of str.join?

On 16Feb2011 12:01, Terry Reedy <tjreedy@udel.edu> wrote:
| On 2/16/2011 1:32 AM, fireinice wrote:
| >I'm sorry, I found it should be the terminal width caused visual
| >problem, please kindly ignore this post.
|
| For future reference, the way to get more info about what is really
| in a string is to print its repr(), or even its list() version.
| Len() is also helpful. On Windows, both the Command Prompt window
| and IDLE refuse to expand tabs, so

| 'a\tb\tc'
| "'a\\tb\\tc'"
| 5
| ['a', '\t', 'b', '\t', 'c']

And on UNIX, a common way to inspect program output at the character
level is like this:

python my_python-program | od -c

possibly sent off into a temp file. That will let you see what character
are actually escaping from the program (versus terry's suggestion, which
is good for looking at the characters before they escape).

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I'm not making any of this up you know. - Anna Russell