Velocity Reviews

-   -   How can I print a traceback without raising an exception? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t743490-how-can-i-print-a-traceback-without-raising-an-exception.html)

Gerald Britton 02-13-2011 06:05 PM

How can I print a traceback without raising an exception?

In the following example, I raise an exception in function h() which
prints a traceback. I would like to know how I can get a similar
display on my terminal without raising an exception. That is, can I
replace "raise Exception" in function h() with some sequence of
instructions (possibly using the inspect module) that will generate a
similar call trace of how I got to that point?

Example:

>>> def f():

.... g()
>>> def g():

.... h()
>>> def h():

.... raise Exception # Replace with something to generate a call trace
>>> f()

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "<stdin>", line 2, in f