Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: VLAN ID for wireless router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t743418-re-vlan-id-for-wireless-router.html)

PeeCee 02-12-2011 12:13 AM

On 11/02/2011 9:07 p.m., Reg@nospam.com wrote:
> My daughter is trying to set up a wireless router she brought over
> from Australia and which she was using successfully over there. It i
> iis an iConnectAccess 24W.
> She has followed the brief setup instructions that came with it but
> she gets an error message telling she needs to put in a valid VLAN ID.
>
> She has tried both 0 and 1 but neither work.
>
> Can someone help us?
>
> TIA
> Reg

Reg

A plain router without an ADSL modem should be no problem as the WAN
port would be using plain old Ethernet and DHCP and should automatically
'work' when connected to a BB modem.

However going on your comment to Dave about putting the ISP details in
suggests the Iconnect has an 'ADSL' BB modem as well as a router in it.

From that it would appear more than likely the firmware has Aussy ADSL
settings not NZ settings.
For example Aussy uses VPI = 8 & VCI = 35 in the modem settings.
NZ uses VPI = 0 & VCI = 100.

This page http://www.draytek.com.au/faq/WAN/adsl.htm
has a table showing the above differences, though unfortunately I've not
seen mention of VLAN.

Get your daughter to find out if the same modem was sold here in NZ and
locate the NZ manual to compare settings.

Best
Paul.

Gordon 02-13-2011 04:42 AM

On 2011-02-12, Reg@nospam.com <Reg@nospam.com> wrote:
[snip]

> It turns out that she has lost the wireless antenna off the router

Yep, have an antenna does help in the wireless world. Like oil in internal
combustion engine.