Velocity Reviews

-   -   Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t742411-downloadable-32-bit-xp-pro-sp1-retail-install-disk.html)

~misfit~ 01-22-2011 02:33 AM

Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

Hi folks,

I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at a
stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I usually
use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't accept the number
from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'. I'm not
trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to it. Does anyone
know if it's possible to download an ISO of the required install disk? I'd
really like to get this done this afternoon.

Thanks,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~ 01-23-2011 08:20 AM

Re: Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

> Hi folks,
>
> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at
> a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I
> usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't
> accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
>
> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
> afternoon.
> Thanks,

Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier troll-feeding
Nathan?

Dave Doe 01-23-2011 08:34 AM

Re: Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

In article <ihgobq$i1m$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
sore_n_happy@nospamyahoo.com.au, ~misfit~ says...

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at
> > a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I
> > usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't
> > accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
> >
> > I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
> > I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
> > it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
> > required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
> > afternoon.
> > Thanks,

> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier troll-feeding
> Nathan?

a. do you have an MSDN subscription?
b. are you installing from an OEM install disk?

--
Duncan.

Nathan Mercer 01-23-2011 07:11 PM

Re: Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

On Jan 23, 9:20*pm, "~misfit~" <sore_n_ha...@nospamyahoo.com.au>
wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,

> > I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at
> > a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I
> > usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't
> > accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

> > I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
> > I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
> > it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
> > required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
> > afternoon.
> > Thanks,

> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier troll-feeding
> Nathan?

No, I don't know of anywhere you can download Windows XP Pro 32 bit
retail CD off the Internet

You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if
they have a way of helping

Sweetpea 01-23-2011 07:57 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:01 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if they
> have a way of helping

Has ANYONE (i.e. a normal home user - not counting corporate contracts)
ever successfully received technical support from Microsoft itself?

Me 01-23-2011 08:55 PM

On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at a
> stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I usually
> use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't accept the number
> from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
>
> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'. I'm not
> trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to it. Does anyone
> know if it's possible to download an ISO of the required install disk? I'd
> really like to get this done this afternoon.
>
> Thanks,

Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change the
serial # to the one on the COA? Then activate online, and if it won't
activate, call MS.

Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:

Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
activate Windows" and then click "Next."

Click "Change Product Key."

You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your Windows XP.

Press "Update" and close the window.

Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
updated with the new serial number.

~misfit~ 01-24-2011 12:14 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <ihgobq$i1m$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
> sore_n_happy@nospamyahoo.com.au, ~misfit~ says...
>>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
>>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
>>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
>>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
>>>
>>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
>>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
>>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
>>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
>>> afternoon.
>>> Thanks,

>> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
>> troll-feeding Nathan?

> a. do you have an MSDN subscription?

No. Is that a prerequisite for installing Windows?

> b. are you installing from an OEM install disk?

Yes, although it's a sp2-level OEM disk that doesn't like to accept numbers
from earlier COAs.

I mistakenly said in the subject that I needed 'retail' media. I actually
need system-builder OEM media (?) from around 2002. As mentioned, I have the
COA...

Mgr. Scooter 01-24-2011 12:23 AM

Re: Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

On , , Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:57:19 +0000 (UTC), Re: Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro,
sp1 retail install disk?, Sweetpea <Heritage@Sweetpea.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:01 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
>> You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if they
>> have a way of helping

>Has ANYONE (i.e. a normal home user - not counting corporate contracts)
>ever successfully received technical support from Microsoft itself?

Oh yes, many times.
The last time was on Saturday.

to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.

~misfit~ 01-24-2011 12:24 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
> On Jan 23, 9:20 pm, "~misfit~" <sore_n_ha...@nospamyahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,

>>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
>>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
>>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
>>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

>>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
>>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
>>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
>>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
>>> afternoon.
>>> Thanks,

>> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
>> troll-feeding Nathan?

> No, I don't know of anywhere you can download Windows XP Pro 32 bit
> retail CD off the Internet

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that MS representatives try to help
their customers as well as argue with their detractors.

Oh BTW, my bad. It's not the retail disk I need. I believe that it's a
pre-sp2 OEM disk? The COA sticker is the pale blue type that was used before
about 2004. The laptop has the date 11/03 on the bottom and works as if it
was new (it's a ThinkPad running a Pentium M).

> You could try calling Microsoft Support on 0800 800 004 and see if
> they have a way of helping

Thank you, I have made a note of that number. I had time over the weekend
and bandwidth to spare, I was hoping that I could get it done more quickly.
The machine still has the COA it was sold with, it's just that it's HDD
failed.

~misfit~ 01-24-2011 12:25 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
> On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
>>
>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
>> afternoon. Thanks,

> Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
> install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change the
> serial # to the one on the COA? Then activate online, and if it won't
> activate, call MS.
>

> Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:
>
> Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:
>
> %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
>
> Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
> activate Windows" and then click "Next."
>
> Click "Change Product Key."
>
> You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your
> Windows XP.
> Press "Update" and close the window.
>
> Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
> updated with the new serial number.

Thanks for the instructions. I've saved them. :-)