Velocity Reviews

-   -   Historical species (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t742112-historical-species.html)

mmyvusenet 01-16-2011 02:21 AM

Historical species

Hello:

I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and another
classic in the area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/

Thanks for your comments.

--
MMYV
http://www.mmyv.com

Nomen Nescio 01-16-2011 09:40 AM

Re: Historical species

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:26:06 +1100, "Atheist Chaplain" <abused@cia.gov>
wrote:

>"mmyvusenet" <usenetmmyv@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello:
>>
>> I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and another
>> classic in the area:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.
>>
>> --
>> MMYV
>> http://www.mmyv.com
>>

>both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
>how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
>the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes the
>whole site completely irrelevant.

I agree.

Ofnuts 01-16-2011 12:25 PM

Re: Historical species

On 01/16/2011 05:26 AM, Atheist Chaplain wrote:

> "mmyvusenet" <usenetmmyv@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello:
>>
>> I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and another
>> classic in the area:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.
>>
>> --
>> MMYV
>> http://www.mmyv.com
>>

> both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
> how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
> the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes
> the whole site completely irrelevant.

It's the math. These awards are all "get one and award X" with X between
3 and 7. So the number of awards looking for a target grows
exponentially, eventually outnumbers the number of pictures on flickr,
and in the end all pictures end up with one.

--
Bertrand

MC 01-16-2011 02:56 PM

Re: Historical species

Atheist Chaplain wrote:

> "mmyvusenet" <usenetmmyv@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and
> > another classic in the area:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/
> >
> > Thanks for your comments.
> >
> > --
> > MMYV
> > http://www.mmyv.com
> >

> both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
> how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
> the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes
> the whole site completely irrelevant.

Hear Hear! However, flicker has never really been more than a dumping
ground for family snaps, holiday snaps and those who do not know one
end of a lens to the other, unless is attached to a mobile phone. This
also means that any occasional decent photograph is always lost in the
miriad of trash.

MC

Whisky-dave 01-17-2011 03:03 PM

Re: Historical species

On Jan 16, 2:56*pm, "MC" <a...@any.any> wrote:
> Atheist Chaplain wrote:
>
> > "mmyvusenet" <usenetm...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Hello:

> > > I took these photos of these two species, one still young, and
> > > another *classic in the area:

> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5356258528/

> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/5355678317/

> > > Thanks for your comments.

> > > --
> > > MMYV
> > >http://www.mmyv.com

> > both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
> > how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
> > the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes
> > the whole site completely irrelevant.

> Hear Hear! *However, flicker has never really been more than a dumping
> ground for family snaps, holiday snaps and those who do not know one
> end of a lens to the other, unless is attached to a mobile phone. *This
> also means that any occasional decent photograph is always lost in the
> miriad of trash.

This could be true but I prefer flickr for that reason, for people to
see them.
For me that's what photography is about. I''m sure there's those that
drive cars
in order to win Nascar/formula 1 or whatever while some drive for
pleasure or to get from A-B.
I prefer[1] 1000 people to see my photo than 1/2 a dozen and get an
'award' from them.

[1] Unless I'm making money from it

Bruce 01-17-2011 03:26 PM

Re: Historical species

Val Hallah <michaelnewport@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Jan 17, 4:03*pm, Whisky-dave <whisky.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This could be true but I prefer flickr for that reason, for people to
>> see them.
>> For me that's what photography is about. I''m sure there's those that
>> drive cars
>> in order to win Nascar/formula 1 or whatever while some drive for
>> pleasure or to get from A-B.
>> I prefer[1] 1000 people to see my photo than 1/2 a dozen and get an
>> 'award' from them.
>>
>> [1] Unless I'm making money from it

>yep, you can be a 'Pro' for $25 and then you can have a sycofantic
>relationship with other 'Pros' by praising each others work ;-)

Save your $25 and join the SI for free instead. Then you can praise
other people's execrable, thoroughly incompetent snapshots to the
heavens - and hope someone praises yours in return.

Don't you just love these little rituals? ;-)

tony cooper 01-17-2011 05:04 PM

Re: Historical species

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:48:55 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>I have a feeling that Miguel understands, that while he uses flickr as
>a tool to display his shots online, the gushing comments, "awards", and
>saccharine praise are without value as a learning tool. I feel he
>continues to participate in r.p.d. & a.p. because even if there might
>be ridicule at times, there is also some useful, honest feed back. If
>all he was looking for was silly praise he would have abandoned the
>photo groups long ago, and stuck with flickr and not learned anything.

I think Miguel uses Flickr only because it is the only image host that
he knows about. Others have been suggested (ie: PhotoBucket) but he
ignores the suggestions. That's his choice to make.

He also ignores pleas to cross-post rather than to put separate posts
in the two groups. That annoys me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

GMAN 01-17-2011 07:33 PM

Re: Historical species

In article <2011011709432457944-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>On 2011-01-17 09:22:38 -0800, Val Hallah <michaelnewport@yahoo.com> said:
>
>> On Jan 17, 6:04*pm, tony cooper <tony_cooper...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> I think Miguel uses Flickr only because it is the only image host that
>>> he knows about. *Others have been suggested (ie: *PhotoBucket) but he
>>> ignores the suggestions. *That's his choice to make.
>>>
>>> He also ignores pleas to cross-post rather than to put separate posts
>>> in the two groups. *That annoys me.

>> buy a gun.....its your right....

>Been there done that, starting 45-50 years ago.
>< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_6494w.jpg >

Love the luger and the old west revolver!!!!!

Peter Chant 01-18-2011 01:47 AM

Re: Historical species

N wrote:

>> both these photos are prime examples of why I detest flickr.
>> how does a snap shot of a Llama warrant a "flickr award" ??
>> the back slapping and "WOW" comments on less than average shots makes the
>> whole site completely irrelevant.

> But you don't have to join such groups and you can delete the comments.
> IOW, only those seeking such banal praise will get it.

Excellent point... ;-)

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Bruce 01-18-2011 07:39 AM

Re: Historical species

Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>tony cooper wrote:
>> Savageduckwrote:
>>
>>> I have a feeling that Miguel understands, that while he uses flickr as
>>> a tool to display his shots online, the gushing comments, "awards", and
>>> saccharine praise are without value as a learning tool. I feel he
>>> continues to participate in r.p.d.& a.p. because even if there might
>>> be ridicule at times, there is also some useful, honest feed back. If
>>> all he was looking for was silly praise he would have abandoned the
>>> photo groups long ago, and stuck with flickr and not learned anything.

>I don't know, he gets more clicks from posting here and those raise the
>rating of the photos on flickr so more will show in searches for a topic
>or a random selection.

When Miguel relied on comments from the newsgroup, there were actually
some signs of improvement. However, his standards have not improved
for several months. The 'Flickr effect', perhaps?