Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t741347-tracking-ip-addresses-and-usenet-posts.html)

RayLopez99 01-03-2011 04:00 PM

Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?

This is more a privacy question but I could not figure out a forum for
it.

Given that one can track IP addresses of people that visit a website,
and given that IP addresses of all mail, including Usenet posts, is in
the header, is there an automated way of checking all Usenet posts by
IP address? To see if a particular poster who visited a particular
website also posted certain messages on Usenet or elsewhere? This
would be done by the webmaster of the website visited. Is there a
program to do this? Not manually, which anybody can do, but a
software program.

I recall years ago some stock forensic accounting firm working with
the US SEC developed some kind of software--or was it off the shelf?
that's my question--that allowed you to tell, by comparing IP
addresses as well as sentence syntax (sentence syntax is difficult, so
it was probably a custom program) who (by IP address) posted what on
various penny stock bulletin boards and chat rooms. Then they were
able to subpoena the internet provider to find out the real world
identity of the particular person who had that IP address assigned to
them on a particular day of a certain posting (assuming it was not a
permanent static address).

RL

Snit 01-03-2011 04:24 PM

Re: Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?

RayLopez99 stated in post
8e29ab55-b91c-4e07-87b5-4a91b1519044...oglegroups.com on 1/3/11
9:00 AM:

> This is more a privacy question but I could not figure out a forum for
> it.
>
> Given that one can track IP addresses of people that visit a website,
> and given that IP addresses of all mail, including Usenet posts, is in
> the header, is there an automated way of checking all Usenet posts by
> IP address? To see if a particular poster who visited a particular
> website also posted certain messages on Usenet or elsewhere? This
> would be done by the webmaster of the website visited. Is there a
> program to do this? Not manually, which anybody can do, but a
> software program.

I have, in my logs, the names of some of the folks in COLA/CSMA labeled.
For example, Steve Carroll used to claim to never visit my site - so I
labeled his IP address. His name pops up in my logs... and he visits often.
I also get visits from others in his area (the IP address can show where
someone is from). He likely goes to neighbors and the library or wherever
to view my site.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Lusotec 01-03-2011 04:25 PM

RayLopez99 wrote:
> This is more a privacy question but I could not figure out a forum for
> it.

Security groups may be what you are looking for.

> Given that one can track IP addresses of people that visit a website,
> and given that IP addresses of all mail, including Usenet posts, is in
> the header, is there an automated way of checking all Usenet posts by
> IP address?
> To see if a particular poster who visited a particular
> website also posted certain messages on Usenet or elsewhere? This
> would be done by the webmaster of the website visited. Is there a
> program to do this? Not manually, which anybody can do, but a
> software program.

No. Many posts don't have the IP of the poster, and even those that have may
not be reliable, as not being the IP of the poster but of some proxy.

I use a anonymizing proxy to post in Usenet, so even if some header has a IP
it will be the proxy's IP and not the system's IP I'm posting from.

Regards.

Claude V. Lucas 01-03-2011 04:30 PM

Re: Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?

In article <8e29ab55-b91c-4e07-87b5-4a91b1519044@p8g2000vbs.googlegroups.com>,
RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com> wrote:
>From: RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com>
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.computer.security,comp.os.linux.setup,co mp.os.linux.advocacy
>Subject: Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?
>Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:00:40 -0800 (PST)
>
>This is more a privacy question but I could not figure out a forum for
>it.
>
>Given that one can track IP addresses of people that visit a website,
>and given that IP addresses of all mail, including Usenet posts, is in
>the header, is there an automated way of checking all Usenet posts by
>IP address? To see if a particular poster who visited a particular
>website also posted certain messages on Usenet or elsewhere? This
>would be done by the webmaster of the website visited. Is there a
>program to do this? Not manually, which anybody can do, but a
>software program.
>
>I recall years ago some stock forensic accounting firm working with
>the US SEC developed some kind of software--or was it off the shelf?
>that's my question--that allowed you to tell, by comparing IP
>addresses as well as sentence syntax (sentence syntax is difficult, so
>it was probably a custom program) who (by IP address) posted what on
>various penny stock bulletin boards and chat rooms. Then they were
>able to subpoena the internet provider to find out the real world
>identity of the particular person who had that IP address assigned to
>them on a particular day of a certain posting (assuming it was not a
>permanent static address).
>
>RL

*Some* servers include the IP address of the poster in the header

Your post's header had this line in it

which, unless it was spoofed, should be your address...

Not all servers implement this feature so some postings are less traceable.

Snit 01-03-2011 04:36 PM

Re: Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?

Hadron stated in post ifstms$c10$1@news.eternal-september.org on 1/3/11 9:32
AM:

> claudel@sonic.net (Claude V. Lucas) writes:
>
>> In article
>> <8e29ab55-b91c-4e07-87b5-4a91b1519044@p8g2000vbs.googlegroups.com>,
>> RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> From: RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com>
>>> Newsgroups:
>>> alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.computer.security,com
>>> p.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>> Subject: Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?
>>> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:00:40 -0800 (PST)
>>> alt.comp.anti-virus:38839 alt.computer.security:77845
>>> comp.os.linux.setup:534874 comp.os.linux.advocacy:1857523
>>>
>>> This is more a privacy question but I could not figure out a forum for
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Given that one can track IP addresses of people that visit a website,
>>> and given that IP addresses of all mail, including Usenet posts, is in
>>> the header, is there an automated way of checking all Usenet posts by
>>> IP address? To see if a particular poster who visited a particular
>>> website also posted certain messages on Usenet or elsewhere? This
>>> would be done by the webmaster of the website visited. Is there a
>>> program to do this? Not manually, which anybody can do, but a
>>> software program.
>>>
>>> I recall years ago some stock forensic accounting firm working with
>>> the US SEC developed some kind of software--or was it off the shelf?
>>> that's my question--that allowed you to tell, by comparing IP
>>> addresses as well as sentence syntax (sentence syntax is difficult, so
>>> it was probably a custom program) who (by IP address) posted what on
>>> various penny stock bulletin boards and chat rooms. Then they were
>>> able to subpoena the internet provider to find out the real world
>>> identity of the particular person who had that IP address assigned to
>>> them on a particular day of a certain posting (assuming it was not a
>>> permanent static address).
>>>
>>> RL

>> *Some* servers include the IP address of the poster in the header
>>
>> Your post's header had this line in it

>> which, unless it was spoofed, should be your address...
>>
>> Not all servers implement this feature so some postings are less traceable.

> Easily spoofed of course.

Yes... mine has been spoofed on a number of occasions by trolls masquerading
as me. For a while Carroll and crew were posting under different names with
my IP address... and then claiming to be my wife and the like. Utterly
repulsive behavior.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Lusotec 01-03-2011 04:55 PM

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> *Some* servers include the IP address of the poster in the header
>
> Your post's header had this line in it

> which, unless it was spoofed, should be your address...

Unless he is using a proxy. In that case it is the proxy's IP that the nntp
server will see and put in the header.

> Not all servers implement this feature so some postings are less
> traceable.

Regards.

Juan 01-03-2011 05:26 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:37:50 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:
>
>> Hadron stated in post ifstms$c10$1@news.eternal-september.org on 1/3/11 9:32
>> AM:

>>> Easily spoofed of course.

>> Yes... mine has been spoofed on a number of occasions by trolls masquerading
>> as me. For a while Carroll and crew were posting under different names with
>> my IP address... and then claiming to be my wife and the like. Utterly
>> repulsive behavior.

> Sounds like the kind of thing HPT gets up to too.

Yea.
HPT is always slithering around stalking people.

Snit 01-03-2011 05:38 PM

Re: Tracking IP addresses and Usenet posts?

Juan stated in post qtc0qr6ysgwz.15snf0jl2g1pm.dlg@40tude.net on 1/3/11
10:26 AM:

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:37:50 +0100, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hadron stated in post ifstms$c10$1@news.eternal-september.org on 1/3/11 9:32
>>> AM:

>>> Yes... mine has been spoofed on a number of occasions by trolls masquerading
>>> as me. For a while Carroll and crew were posting under different names with
>>> my IP address... and then claiming to be my wife and the like. Utterly
>>> repulsive behavior.

>> Sounds like the kind of thing HPT gets up to too.

> Yea.
> HPT is always slithering around stalking people.

Look at the list of quotes he has *about* me... scavenged over many years
and many are out and out forged (from Carroll socks and the like). He does
that because he *knows* he cannot show me doing as he accuses.

It is reprehensible on his part.

Then again, the fact he and his cohorts target me to such an extent is proof
they know I am right ... or at least mostly so ... in what I write and that
I support my views well. There is no other reason for them to obsess about
me so much.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

RayLopez99 01-03-2011 06:28 PM

On Jan 3, 6:24*pm, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> I have, in my logs, the names of some of the folks in COLA/CSMA labeled.
> For example, Steve Carroll used to claim to never visit my site - so I
> labeled his IP address. *His name pops up in my logs... and he visits often.
> I also get visits from others in his area (the IP address can show where
> someone is from). *He likely goes to neighbors and the library or wherever
> to view my site.

Just visited your site. So I see now why you're against Linux.
Indeed, it would give people without any medical problems a heart
attack, anxiety attack or worse (like epileptic fits trying to install
it). Makes sense.

RL

RayLopez99 01-03-2011 06:32 PM

On Jan 3, 6:32*pm, Hadron<hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > which, unless it was spoofed, should be your address...

> > Not all servers implement this feature so some postings are less traceable.

> Easily spoofed of course.

Yes apparently easily spoofed--and Peter Kohlmann for one thinks I'm
not posting from Greece. But tell me, how is it easily spoofed?
Using what program or platform? Unix? Microsoft? I've always heard
that it's easy to spoof but never looked into the mechanics of it.

RL