Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: I want to blow away a Lenovo (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t741120-re-i-want-to-blow-away-a-lenovo.html)

lugnut 12-30-2010 02:35 PM

Re: I want to blow away a Lenovo

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:20:47 -0600, "rocklorian@yahoo.com"
<Rocklorian@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a lenovo laptop with a C:\prefetch with all their crap on it. I
>want to blow away ALL their crap and just install Windows XP which is
>on there right now and I have the Windows XP CD for. How do I do
>that....blow away the prefetch drive and just install Windows XP?
>
>Thanks

The prefetch is not necessarily your problem. It is only a
repository for windows during the boot and loading process.
It can be disabled in the registry. Info on doing this in
the registry is available on the net. Many, if not most, of
the trial packages can be uninstalled. I prefer to use an
uninstaller called Revo which does a decent job of cleaning
them one-by-one. If it has the Norton package, you can find
the Norton remover package on their site. That is the only
one I have found that can actually remove Norton from a
machine. Norton's installation heavily infest the OS with
all sorts of stuff highly resistant to reason and removal.
It is also one of the biggest offender when it come to
hogging resources and slowing a machine.

In order to prevent and eliminate all the trial stuff, you
can use something like PC Decrapifier IIRC. Unless you have
the driver preinstall, restore or setup disk from Lenovo,
you are taking a huge chance of not being able to reload the
OS during a re-install. Your machine has a good possibility
of having a SATA hard drive which is not recognized by
Windows XP. That is why you will need the Lenovo driver
disk or a system restore disk to install the drivers before
XP will reinstall. A system restore disk may very well take
you back to the machine's as-manufactured config destroying
any data you have in the process. You may also find
yourself with a deactivated OS requireng phone assistance
from MS to get that straightened out, recombobulated or
sorted.

Lastly, unless you are comfortable doing any of this or
willing to brick the machine in the case of a screwup, you
should simply leave it until you are comfy with the process
and risks involved.

Lugnut

Meat Plow 12-31-2010 08:50 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:28:04 -0600, rocklorian@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:35:22 -0500, lugnut <lugnut@roadkill.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:20:47 -0600, "rocklorian@yahoo.com"
>><Rocklorian@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a lenovo laptop with a C:\prefetch with all their crap on it. I
>>>want to blow away ALL their crap and just install Windows XP which is
>>>on there right now and I have the Windows XP CD for. How do I do
>>>that....blow away the prefetch drive and just install Windows XP?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>The prefetch is not necessarily your problem. It is only a repository
>>for windows during the boot and loading process. It can be disabled in
>>the registry. Info on doing this in the registry is available on the
>>net. Many, if not most, of the trial packages can be uninstalled. I
>>prefer to use an uninstaller called Revo which does a decent job of
>>cleaning them one-by-one. If it has the Norton package, you can find
>>the Norton remover package on their site. That is the only one I have
>>found that can actually remove Norton from a machine. Norton's
>>installation heavily infest the OS with all sorts of stuff highly
>>resistant to reason and removal. It is also one of the biggest offender
>>when it come to hogging resources and slowing a machine.
>>
>>In order to prevent and eliminate all the trial stuff, you can use
>>something like PC Decrapifier IIRC. Unless you have the driver
>>preinstall, restore or setup disk from Lenovo, you are taking a huge
>>chance of not being able to reload the OS during a re-install. Your
>>machine has a good possibility of having a SATA hard drive which is not
>>recognized by Windows XP. That is why you will need the Lenovo driver
>>disk or a system restore disk to install the drivers before XP will
>>reinstall. A system restore disk may very well take you back to the
>>machine's as-manufactured config destroying any data you have in the
>>process. You may also find yourself with a deactivated OS requireng
>>phone assistance from MS to get that straightened out, recombobulated or
>>sorted.
>>
>>Lastly, unless you are comfortable doing any of this or willing to brick
>>the machine in the case of a screwup, you should simply leave it until
>>you are comfy with the process and risks involved.
>>
>>Lugnut

> So first I need to get the SATA drives loaded on a CD.
>
> Then I need to format the drive. No problem. Use the Sata CD and then
> load Windows. Then find the correct drivers.
>
> That's about it? That's not that hard.
>
> My problem is I KNOW they have a partition on there that is locked...one
> I can't format. THAT'S the one I need to get rid of. I believe it's part
> of the Pre fetch. Any ideas?

There isn't any partition flavor that cannot be deleted. And it wouldn't
be called prefetch. If XP sees the hard drive, you won't need to load a
driver. If it were mine I might be inclined to buy a new drive. I usually
do anyway to have a spare.

cully when 12-31-2010 10:46 PM

On 12/31/2010 3:28 PM, rocklorian@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:35:22 -0500, lugnut<lugnut@roadkill.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:20:47 -0600, "rocklorian@yahoo.com"
>> <Rocklorian@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a lenovo laptop with a C:\prefetch with all their crap on it. I
>>> want to blow away ALL their crap and just install Windows XP which is
>>> on there right now and I have the Windows XP CD for. How do I do
>>> that....blow away the prefetch drive and just install Windows XP?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> The prefetch is not necessarily your problem. It is only a
>> repository for windows during the boot and loading process.
>> It can be disabled in the registry. Info on doing this in
>> the registry is available on the net. Many, if not most, of
>> the trial packages can be uninstalled. I prefer to use an
>> uninstaller called Revo which does a decent job of cleaning
>> them one-by-one. If it has the Norton package, you can find
>> the Norton remover package on their site. That is the only
>> one I have found that can actually remove Norton from a
>> machine. Norton's installation heavily infest the OS with
>> all sorts of stuff highly resistant to reason and removal.
>> It is also one of the biggest offender when it come to
>> hogging resources and slowing a machine.
>>
>> In order to prevent and eliminate all the trial stuff, you
>> can use something like PC Decrapifier IIRC. Unless you have
>> the driver preinstall, restore or setup disk from Lenovo,
>> you are taking a huge chance of not being able to reload the
>> OS during a re-install. Your machine has a good possibility
>> of having a SATA hard drive which is not recognized by
>> Windows XP. That is why you will need the Lenovo driver
>> disk or a system restore disk to install the drivers before
>> XP will reinstall. A system restore disk may very well take
>> you back to the machine's as-manufactured config destroying
>> any data you have in the process. You may also find
>> yourself with a deactivated OS requireng phone assistance
>>from MS to get that straightened out, recombobulated or
>> sorted.
>>
>> Lastly, unless you are comfortable doing any of this or
>> willing to brick the machine in the case of a screwup, you
>> should simply leave it until you are comfy with the process
>> and risks involved.
>>
>> Lugnut

> So first I need to get the SATA drives loaded on a CD.
>
> Then I need to format the drive. No problem. Use the Sata CD and then
> load Windows. Then find the correct drivers.
>
> That's about it? That's not that hard.
>
> My problem is I KNOW they have a partition on there that is
> locked...one I can't format. THAT'S the one I need to get rid of. I
> believe it's part of the Pre fetch. Any ideas?

On my Lenovo that partition is a FAT32 called Service001. It contains
the OS in case you need to reinstall. I used Macrium Reflect to create
an image, just in case. It has nothing to do with prefetch; best not
touch it unless you have your own OS CD.