Velocity Reviews

-   -   4.01 strict weirdness (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t741080-4-01-strict-weirdness.html)

notbob 12-29-2010 10:58 PM

4.01 strict weirdness

I'm trying to be a good html coder, using html 4.01 strict and CSS and
all that, but I'm getting conflicting info and code checking on it.

For example, I use Quanta 3.5.10 in slackware and have it set for DTD
4.01 strict and use this opening DTD line:

Fine. Problem is, I have two pages I'm working on. One was cut n'
pasted from htmldog and modded to the above dtd. When checking it
with quanta's Tidy syntax checker, no problem. I have another page I'm
beginning which has the exact same cut n' pasted line in it and I get
an error. The error free page uses <html></html>. When I use the
same element with closing tag in the other page I get:

Warning: discarding unexpected </html>

BTW, this closing tag is auto completed, so I know it's
correct. If I delete the closing html tag in the second error-prone page,
the error goes away. I read on two different 4.01 strict reference
pages that the closing tag has been "depricated" and/or is "optional",
which seems to be confirmed by the second page with no closing tag and
no errors. Why the difference? Jes flacky software?

The only other difference I can see is, the error-free page has a
page has only <head></head> elements in it, as I check as I go and am
jes getting started on it. WTF am I missing?

nb

Denis McMahon 12-29-2010 11:12 PM

Re: 4.01 strict weirdness

On 29/12/10 22:58, notbob wrote:

> Warning: discarding unexpected </html>

Most likely cause is that you have an extra "</html>" at the end of the
document.

There should only be one "</html>" and it should be the last piece of
text in the document.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

dorayme 12-29-2010 11:52 PM

Re: 4.01 strict weirdness

In article <4d1bbd1a$0$23409$882e7ee2@usenet-news.net>,
notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:

> WTF am I missing?

A URL?

--
dorayme

Gus Richter 12-30-2010 05:57 AM

Re: 4.01 strict weirdness

On 12/29/2010 6:52 PM, dorayme wrote:
> In article<4d1bbd1a$0$23409$882e7ee2@usenet-news.net>,
> notbob<notbob@nothome.com> wrote:
>
>> WTF am I missing?

> A URL?

Did you mean:

WTF is dA URL?

*LOL*

--
Gus

dorayme 12-30-2010 07:42 AM

Re: 4.01 strict weirdness

In article <ifh717$i8b$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
Gus Richter <gusrichter@netscape.net> wrote:

> On 12/29/2010 6:52 PM, dorayme wrote:
> > In article<4d1bbd1a$0$23409$882e7ee2@usenet-news.net>,
> > notbob<notbob@nothome.com> wrote:
> >
> >> WTF am I missing?

> > A URL?
> >

> Did you mean:
>
> WTF is dA URL?
>
> *LOL*

Sort of, yes, Gus! I meant he was missing the FURL. <g>

--
dorayme

Denis McMahon 12-30-2010 12:34 PM

Re: 4.01 strict weirdness

On 29/12/10 23:12, Denis McMahon wrote:
> On 29/12/10 22:58, notbob wrote:
>
>> Warning: discarding unexpected </html>

> Most likely cause is that you have an extra "</html>" at the end of the
> document.
>
> There should only be one "</html>" and it should be the last piece of
> text in the document.

Oh, or you have an </html> closing tag without any <html> opening tag.

Incidentally, the tag is optional, but *_NOT_* deprecated.

The version attribute of the html tag is deprecated, as this information
is now given in the dtd.

The html element can also contain language and text direction attributes.

eg: <html dir="ltr" lang="en-gb">

Rgds

Denis McMahon