Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Re: Night Shots is posted! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t740816-re-night-shots-is-posted.html)

otter 12-25-2010 02:54 AM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
On Dec 24, 7:42*am, Bowser <Ca...@Nikon.Panny> wrote:
> Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots


Paul Furman, eclipse: Congratulations, great shot of the eclipse. I
wish mine had turned out that good. Great color.
W.P. Romfh, all three very nice. I wasn't so sure about the second
one with all the poles and wires and such, but it kind of grows on
me. The flight through the moon is nice.
Troy Piggins: The Dubai ship picture is interesting - very moody.
Duck: The Hearst pool pictures, yeah they look over-processed, but I
like them anyway. You know, I never even saw the pool when I visited
the Castle. Looks like I missed the best part.
Tom Yost: I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. A
little on the dark side.
Peter Atkins, Maersk: Whoo, Nelly!
Tim Conway, Swans: Interesting shot, nice composition, and as you
described in another post, you put some effort into putting it
together. I think it could be improved some more, though. Doesn't
feel like it is quite finished. For one thing, the bills bother me
that they blend into the black.
Otter: Simply great, don't know how they could be improved :-). Well,
just to respond to some comments, the train was moving real slow,
there is a station on the other end of the bridge. Putting a border
around the musician picture is a good idea. I didn't think of it.
Bowser: Your living room is a lot neater than mine, that's for sure!
What happened to the hookers?
Cooper: I think the Colony picture has potential, but there are some
some things that bother me about this try - might be better if not
centered, and perspective could be adjusted, maybe?
Bob Cole: I liked that you tried something creative this time, Bob. I
especially like the "Jazz on Fire" picture. It reminds me of the
album cover of "Superunknown" by Soundgarden.
Peter Newman, splash: Very nice. Nice colors. Would like to hear
more about how this was done.
Frank Ess, sunset: Nice sunset picture, Frank.

All, in all, I'd say a good batch this time.

peter 12-25-2010 05:28 PM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
On 12/24/2010 9:54 PM, otter wrote:

> Peter Newman, splash: Very nice. Nice colors. Would like to hear
> more about how this was done.


Thanks!


Here is a repeat of my prior explanation, with just a little more detail:
I was experimenting using a borrowed rig. Strobes connected to a sensor.
The sensor set off the strobes when a ball bearing hit the sensor, from
about 2'.
The color is ordinary Spin-Art paint, covering the sensor, which
splashed up after the ball bearing drop. I prefocused inside of a dark
tent, holding the shutter open. The exposure was made from the strobes.
While the effects are weird and interesting, I feel I have little
artistic control and will not be producing more of these images.



--
Peter

otter 12-26-2010 02:01 PM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
On Dec 24, 8:54*pm, otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Tom Yost: *I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. *A
> little on the dark side.


Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
photoshop?

Tim Conway 12-28-2010 03:50 PM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 

"otter" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bd03f3d0-c801-4ec7-ba02-e009851cee00@i18g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
On Dec 24, 7:42 am, Bowser <Ca...@Nikon.Panny> wrote:
> Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots


Tim Conway, Swans: Interesting shot, nice composition, and as you
described in another post, you put some effort into putting it
together. I think it could be improved some more, though. Doesn't
feel like it is quite finished. For one thing, the bills bother me
that they blend into the black.

You're right. I dodged the bills in PS and it really improved it. thanks


otter 12-28-2010 07:23 PM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
On Dec 28, 9:50*am, "Tim Conway" <tconway_...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "otter" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:bd03f3d0-c801-4ec7-ba02-e009851cee00@i18g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> On Dec 24, 7:42 am, Bowser <Ca...@Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>
> > Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

>
> >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

>
> Tim Conway, Swans: Interesting shot, nice composition, and as you
> described in another post, you put some effort into putting it
> together. *I think it could be improved some more, though. *Doesn't
> feel like it is quite finished. *For one thing, the bills bother me
> that they blend into the black.
>
> You're right. *I dodged the bills in PS and it really improved it. *thanks


Good!

Tom Yost 01-03-2011 04:33 PM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
otter <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote in news:49fe6a43-10f8-4b0b-aef7-
6237ef8d6cc7@fu15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 24, 8:54*pm, otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tom Yost: *I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. *A
>> little on the dark side.

>
> Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
> photoshop?


Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.

Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I usually
read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.

Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to the
shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for critical
scruntiny... Hey, my mom thinks they are great! ;-)



otter 01-04-2011 02:22 AM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
On Jan 3, 10:33*am, Tom Yost <t...@nospam.com> wrote:
> otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:49fe6a43-10f8-4b0b-aef7-
> 6237ef8d6...@fu15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On Dec 24, 8:54 pm, otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
> >> Tom Yost: I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. A
> >> little on the dark side.

>
> > Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
> > photoshop?

>
> Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.
>
> Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I usually
> read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.
>
> Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to the
> shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for critical
> scruntiny... *Hey, my mom thinks they are great! *;-)


http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...7262/lightbox/

Some quick tweaks in Photoshop. If it were my shot, I would take more
time, and probably remove the bright light on the right side and make
the yellow line more yellow. It still has a bit of a blue cast. I
didn't quite get the crop straightened the way I wanted, either.

But brightened it up a bit.

(My export software automatically gave me credit for the shot, sorry
about that.)

Pete 01-09-2011 04:41 PM

Re: [SI] Night Shots is posted!
 
On 2011-01-09 16:34:05 +0000, Alan Browne said:

> On 11.01.09 11:28 , Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 11.01.08 15:50 , Eric Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> 'v' of a body falling from a height 'h'. 'g' is the constant of
>>> gravitational acceleration which in the USA is 32.2 ft/sec squared.

>>
>> The US adopted the metric system in 1890.
>>
>> US high schools teach elementary physics, chemistry and biology in metric.
>>
>> US government labs are with very few exceptions, metric.
>>
>> The US military, with some exceptions, is metric.
>>
>> And while the constant g will for the foreseeable future remain 32.2..
>> ft-s^-2, it is also, in the US, 9.98.. m-s^-2.

>
> Oops. 9.806... actually.


It varies more than one might expect:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth>

--
Pete


Tom Yost 01-13-2011 05:14 PM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
otter <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:83397843-42ed-4f98-a0f7-6b19954b09c0@29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com:

> On Jan 3, 10:33*am, Tom Yost <t...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> news:49fe6a43-10f8-4b0b-aef7-
>> 6237ef8d6...@fu15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > On Dec 24, 8:54 pm, otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>
>> >> Tom Yost: I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. A
>> >> little on the dark side.

>>
>> > Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
>> > photoshop?

>>
>> Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.
>>
>> Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I
>> usuall

> y
>> read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.
>>
>> Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to
>> the shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for
>> critica

> l
>> scruntiny... *Hey, my mom thinks they are great! *;-)

>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...otos/billkeshl
> ear/5322407262/lightbox/
>
> Some quick tweaks in Photoshop. If it were my shot, I would take more
> time, and probably remove the bright light on the right side and make
> the yellow line more yellow. It still has a bit of a blue cast. I
> didn't quite get the crop straightened the way I wanted, either.
>
> But brightened it up a bit.
>
> (My export software automatically gave me credit for the shot, sorry
> about that.)


Nice crop. Much better balance.

That shadow from the forwardmost pole on the right is a bother.






otter 01-14-2011 04:29 AM

Re: Night Shots is posted!
 
On Jan 13, 11:14*am, Tom Yost <t...@nospam.com> wrote:
> otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote innews:83397843-42ed-4f98-a0f7-6b19954b09c0@29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com:
>
>
>
> > On Jan 3, 10:33 am, Tom Yost <t...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >> otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >> news:49fe6a43-10f8-4b0b-aef7-
> >> 6237ef8d6...@fu15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

>
> >> > On Dec 24, 8:54 pm, otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
> >> >> Tom Yost: I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. A
> >> >> little on the dark side.

>
> >> > Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
> >> > photoshop?

>
> >> Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.

>
> >> Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I
> >> usuall

> > y
> >> read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.

>
> >> Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to
> >> the shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for
> >> critica

> > l
> >> scruntiny... Hey, my mom thinks they are great! ;-)

>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...otos/billkeshl
> > ear/5322407262/lightbox/

>
> > Some quick tweaks in Photoshop. *If it were my shot, I would take more
> > time, and probably remove the bright light on the right side and make
> > the yellow line more yellow. *It still has a bit of a blue cast. *I
> > didn't quite get the crop straightened the way I wanted, either.

>
> > But brightened it up a bit.

>
> > (My export software automatically gave me credit for the shot, sorry
> > about that.)

>
> Nice crop. Much better balance.
>
> That shadow from the forwardmost pole on the right is a bother.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...6786/lightbox/

Better?


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.